Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-15-2005, 09:37 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default To all non demo SU customers

Please tell us SU demos what you would like to see in a demo. What works with you? Especially -- What motivates you to buy (other than these awesome samples)? Will the presence of the online catty help you? Do you like workshops or do you prefer to just place an order directly with your demo? Do you like stamp camps, or classes?

Any complaints? (no names and be nice). We are just trying to learn to be better demos. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 02:41 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find with Stampin' Up the products and the color coordination is enough to motivate me to buy. I like the stampers club and learning new techniques but I don't think that influences me to buy anything. More often than not this website influences me to buy certain products. I love the online minis because I usually have more time to browse them before I even get one from my demo. I don't think I'd use an online catty though. Right now I'm phasing out my non SU products and replacing with SU. I don't have any SU ink pads yet and am wondering about craft or classic pads. My demo has samples but I would like to test one of both of the same color to compare. That's the only suggestion I have and I didn't even ask her yet so she still may do it.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 02:45 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

hmmm...what motivates me to buy? ...seeing different things that one stamp set can do. I know that it might limit a SU to only 1 sale of a stamp set, but seeing versatile samples with the same stamp set really convinces me that I *need* that set.

Also, sales motivates me. for example, if the demo offers free shipping if you buy $75 worth of stuff or 10% off the next purchase, kind of deal.

*Everyone has an important contribution to make in life. It's just a matter of discovering it.*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 03:57 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't usually go to workshops that cost $$$....I'd much rather spend my money on stamps and supplies. Also, most of the cards at workshops are very simple, because they have to be quick and easy, and simple cards don't really appeal to me that much. I stamp for the creative challenge, not so that I can bang out lots of cards in a short time. I do like technique workshops, though. Sometimes techniques are much easier to understand when you can actually see them done, and you can try your hand at them under someone's guidance.
This site has really caused me to but a lot more SU! stuff. I will never understand the attitude of demonstrators who don't want to share this site with their customers! As for the on-line catalog, I think it will be handy. I've never liked having to pay for it, as I don't use it for ideas, only for ordering. The samples are, for the most part, uninspiring. I don't like the idea of having to pay for a catalog just so you can buy things from it! Luckily, my present demonstrator always gives it to the members of her Stamper's Six club for free! (Love you, Jackie!)
I know you demonstrator's can't demo retired sets, but I LOVE it when I find that a new set will work well with one I already own. That's another reason why this site is so good at causing me to part with my $$$!
The general things I would look for in a demonstrator is someone who keeps me informed of specials and promotions through e-mails and mailings and is organized and efficient.
My demonstrator is a hobby demo, so she can afford to be very generous with discounts and goodies. She treats me very well! (Have I told you I love you, Jackie! LOL!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 04:31 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

As a former demo, I tend to get my inspiration from a lot of different sources (mostly SCS!) and don't need workshops, etc. for that. I would say that the single most important attribute of a demo for me personally is that the order be delivered in a timely manner. Unfortunately it is the one thing I have most trouble getting. I have had demos hold back my orders to combine with other customers' orders so someone (not me) can get hostess benefits; they have taken several extra days to submit my order because they just didn't get around to it; they have even held back my orders so the sale occurred in the right month or quarter. When I was a demo I always submitted the orders promptly and let the customer know when the order would be delivered (SU makes this easy by sending an email when the order is shipped--why can't the demo forward this to me?).

Sorry for the rant--I've just been recently burned by my latest order taking an extra 10 days because the demo forgot to complete the ordering process. I just wish this sort of thing could be carried out in a more professional manner. I'm hoping that demos who see this will try to be a little more attentive to this aspect of their business--it is important!

Cyndie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 05:00 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I enjoy the stamp camps. Even though I've been a scrapbooker/stamper for over 8 years I still enjoy the new techniques my SU demo shows us at the camps and who could beat a night out! I also hate to pay for a catalog and if you join the camp you get one for free. Of course, every time I go to the camp I wind up putting more and more stuff on my wishlist and change what I plan to order that night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 05:13 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Smile Yeah, that Stuff!

First, how can momtotriplets04 ever have time to stamp! You go, girl!

I agree with most of what's above. Thankfully, my demos have always been prompt in processing orders or letting me know when they have to wait and why. I don't mind paying $2-5 for a stamp camp that has 3 or 4 cards. I don't like in home parties as the demo mostly just demonstrates a new technique and we get to watch! Whoopie. Not! We might get to make 1 simple card, but that doesn't do much for me. I always like to see techniques, especially new ones with new sets. On line catty, not necessary. Mini-catty on line, maybe. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 05:18 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I hope you already know this, but I think the biggest motivator is using the products! I have to see, touch and play with a product before I think I "need" it. Just seeing a flyer or a flat image from the catty doesn't do it for me. If you want to sell the hodgepodge hardware for example, buy it and use it at a workshop. If you want to sell embossing powder, make some projects using it. Every workshop I've been to where we used something new to me, I ended up buying it. I'll bet that is why I've resisted buying the tag set..lol. I've seen it at a workshop, but we've never used it.

Story and bad example: I have a CTMH demo who doesn't ever use CTMH markers for her projects. I'm sure she bought this big set of Tombo's before she became a demo, and doesn't want to invest in new markers, but it is hurting her business. I don't think anyone in our monthly stamp club has placed an order for markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 05:19 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I like stamp camps better than home parties too - my demo waives the fee if we place an order of a certain size. But I understand the desire for home parties from the demo - expanding her customer base. And it's nice to get hostess benefits. Perhaps a nice compromise would be to host a stamp camp and have some small incentive if the current customer brings a friend...

My demo is great - low key but responsive and very timely with placing and delivering my orders.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 05:20 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I currently buy from 2 demos. I'm in a stamp group with one and take a technique class with the other. I like totally hands on. I don't like going to a stamp group and making something that is already in the catalog or in an idea sheet since I feel that I can do that at home. I like stamp camps. One demo I go to is very creative and gears her stamp camps with the more advanced stamper in mind. Run special offers, coupons, free shipping, give me a free incentive stamp once in a while. I'm assuming that you can write off your supplies to the cost of doing business so don't be afraid to use them. So many times I come home from my stamp group and think that the cards I made needs something; often times its only a background layer that is needed to make the card "pop". The more different supplies you use the more I will buy. Do your homework so that you can push your stampers to that next level. What better place to do your homework at than on this site. It is rare that I buy anything from my demos unless I am attending a workshop, stamp camp, etc., but I do attend something a minimum of once a month so that is not a problem. I love the value you get by buying the SU stamp sets. I love how everything is color coordinated. Teach your customers how to use the color wheel, stamp-a-mag-jig, perfect layers, stencils, templates, pearl ex, etc. and they will buy them.

Last edited by Bevstamps; 10-16-2005 at 05:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 05:33 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Great thread, wonderful suggestions so far. As a former SU demo I'll add a few things.

I did 2-3 cards/projects at a workshop with a brief intro/tutorial at the beginning for each project. I pulled the new people aside on one of the easier projects to give them one on one how tos. I got right in there with the guests and got to know them. I didn't have good luck with the demo 2 or 3 things, make n take one format. I found the more I got the products in the people's hands, the more comfortable they got. New people would follow a typical pattern of nervous-comfort-lovin' it by the third project. Many of the stampers that were my regulars miss this format with their current demos.

Timely ordering/delivery is a big one as the previous poster mentioned.

I'm at a point now where I'm pretty self sufficient as far as creativity goes. Frankly, I don't enjoy workshops anymore except to get together with friends because while its nice to make a card, creatively, I'm not going to my SU demo for inspiration. That's not a crack on anyone, its just that I'm able to seek out or generate personally what I need. So advice to other demos, be sure to cater your workshops to the guests if you can. If you know advanced stampers are going to be present, try to come up with something either in a demo or make n take that is beyond the basic.

Finally, my last word of advice. Be aware of what is out there beyond the SU world, be sensitive to it. Know your competition, because I guarantee you, your customers do. Read the magazines, browse the S-book stores, take classes at rubber stamp stores. Not only will you broaden your own creative focus, but you'll impress the heck out of your customers with what you've learned, then applied to the SU product line.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 05:39 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I prefer to order directly without having to go to a workshop. I will enjoy the catalog being online as I am on the computer a lot. That said, I will still buy the catalog because there's just nothing quite like having a hard copy. The most important thing for me from my demo is prompt service and communication.

When I do go to workshops, I prefer simple and quick ideas and tips. I like it when the consultant shares little tips such as how to ink your stamp. It's great when the consultant shares little things like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 05:59 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I am now on my second SU demonstrator, and I really enjoy the workshops. I buy whatever she demonstrates usually, and also have been trying to get all the pads, refills, and markers, along the way. Both of my demonstrators have been great about getting the stuff ordered pretty quickly, and both offer little "bonuses" along the way. But, I have to admit that since I've discovered SCS (my demo told me about it) my wish list has grown so much that I may need a second job! I don't think that this website will ever totally replace the workshops, though.

Here's what I say: Show me something really great to make, keeping in mind that I can't spend several hundred dollars at once, tell me what special deals are current, and keep in touch between workshops with emails to let me know if something great comes along. That's all I really need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 06:03 AM   #14  
Duchess of Dork

I like anything hands on where I can try it. I like 10-10-10 the best b/c I go home w/ ten cards already made. And usually my friends are there. I like the classes, too, though, that are free, so I can bring my friends along without them having to pay. I would say at classes, if I had not bought SU before, it would be the versatility & pointing out the value of the sets----compare to what individual stamps cost at Michael's, etc. Then, showing how you trim them & don't get "shadows"---the quality of the stamps. The whole color coordination thing is cool, too.

I'm in direct sales, too. I have to say the #1 thing that motivates me with ANY direct sales person is customer service. When the consultant is truly concerned about me & how I use the products, I am more likely to use her again. And I host & go to parties for MANY companies! I know several SU demos. One of them buys the mono adhesive from Viking (I think---or gets it somewhere) & then sells it to customers really cheap. She may not be making a profit from it, but she definitely builds customer loyalty that way! One offers Birthday specials----she sends a postcard & says something like FREE SHIPPING for your birthday! Or has offered me a small set she might have on hand, etc. I get monthly letters from at least 2 (sometimes more) of the SU demos I know (I'm on Beate's list---I went to one of her classes---so much fun!). I like knowing what's going on. I send out monthly letters for my company, so I like to know what's happening with other companies, too.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 06:14 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I have been a customer of three demos so far in my 9 years of stamping. I originally went to a party because of a neighbor, loved the ink ... I use it to stamp on the kids hands when they leave gymnastics (it doesn't blead on skin). I was scrapbooking, so bought a couple stamp sets for that. BUT, because I got to make some cards too, I found that to be a lot of fun. So, I ended up a card maker also! My first demo always did a scrapbook project, and a card or two. We all got to make them, nothing worse than someone else having fun. As we all became advanced, we would do something fairly simple, and then something that was new to us. Using the stamps sells! Also using the cardstock and other products helps. I have always had demos that will tell you if you can get something that is in the catty cheaper somewhere else. Like versa ink, you can get that on sale at Hobby Lobby or other craft stores. Does it hurt her sales, not really, because we come back for more as we trust her. Gives me more money to buy stamp sets.

I like the incentives. I have my party during sell-a-bration each year. Sometimes I will have another party, but not always.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 06:23 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I suggested this to one of my demos awhile back. For those of us who have invested in thousands of dollars worth of stamps and supplies I think demos need to find ways to keep us veteran stampers motivated. I don't need to buy all the newest current stamp sets but shown ways to use what we have, hope this makes sense. Most of my stamping friends are doing nothing with their stamps so I am orphaned, we can hardly even get enough people to have workshops. So I started going to a local stamp shop just so I could keep stamping and learn new techniques. I don't know if the economy has anything to do with my friends lack of interest but I wanted to continue stamping and had to find others that did also. Thankfully I have a demo friend at work who keeps me updated on specials and another from the stamp shop so I can still get new SU items I can't live without!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 06:31 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great thread!

1. Orders in a timely manner. **** Why would ordering be exciting if you know you won't be seeing and using it for a long time, anyway?
2. SCS has made my wish list grow by leaps and bounds. I don't understand why some demos don't tell customers about this site. Not only does it help the buying, it gets me stamping. The more I stamp, the more I buy. And it fits into anyone's schedule who has a computer and internet.
3. Workshops: Gear towards the level and interests of the customers, teach techniques, offer layouts for versatility (like the weekly sketch challenges)
4. Offer clubs - I like being the hostess once a year rather than begging friends to come to my house for a show.
5. Offer your own incentives - maybe free shipping on your birthday
6. Know your competition and work with it rather than treat it as an enemy. Work at selling products that are only offered by SU... their stamps and awesome line of coordinating colors in CS and ink is what comes to mind first.
7. Be sensitive to financial restraints of customers.
8. I'd much rather have a catalog than have to look things up online. I spend enough time online and the catty can be popped in a carry bag along with my fave magazine to look at while I sit in waiting rooms. Demos, please send your customers the minis.

Last edited by CardFanatic; 10-16-2005 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 06:37 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

One of the things that I do not like about SU is they do not have a full catalog on-line. I get the catalog every year from my demo, but if I'm at work or can't find my catty for some reason and I want to view it on-line I can't.

I love my demonstrator and I don't mind paying for the stamp camps as the cost is usually very low-between $5-$10 and I alwasy have a blast. I figure I would pay $10 to go out somewhere else with my friends, why not pay the $10 for stamp camp. It's cheaper than lunch!!

Unfortunatly, right now I live in a very small apartment so I have tons to SU stuff in boxes under my bed that only see the light of day when I go through it to see what I want to bring to my monthly stamping club. I think this is the best thing that my demo offered. Because it's just to much to stamp at home at times with limited space, I can get away one a month and really stamp and stay motivated with it. My demonstrator is great about reading what levels people are at and matching the club for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyndiestamps
... I have had demos hold back my orders to combine with other customers' orders so someone (not me) can get hostess benefits; they have taken several extra days to submit my order because they just didn't get around to it; they have even held back my orders so the sale occurred in the right month or quarter. ...Cyndie
My first demo used to do this all the time! I hadn't a clue it was happening until she quit and I had to source a new demo. When I got my first order, in what seemed like a few days, I asked her how come it came so fast. She said they always do--then she shared why potentially my last demo delayed orders. Very poor customer service in my opinion. I understand when orders from home parties are delayed--not when I am e-mailing my order directly to a demo. Timely/friendly service is most important for me.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 09:58 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Oh my! I am one lucky person. My DD is my demo and it seems that she does everything that all of you want! Want to live in PA? LOL Seriously, I don't need and online catty. I enjoy looking through the book. The comment about hands on with everything fits me too. I wasn't going to spend the money for the tag set, but I got to use it and see samples she made with it and now it's on my list. I really like cards with some kind of motion and love learning new techniques. Thanks to Beate's tutorials here I've added quite a few.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 10:10 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

I would like to see more specials from my demo-whether that be a sale, no shipping or a little something in my bag. I had one demo that would throw in a couple of sheets of cs or a incentive stamp etc. I don't need it always, but once in awhile, especially if you have spent lots!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 12:25 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Between work, children and trying to keep the household running, time is of value. What I really appreciate is learning new techniques. I have friends who have the time to take classes, go to stamp camps, etc. I cannot due to family commitments. So, learning new techniques is a great thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

In all honesty what motivates me to buy is seeing samples here on SCS. I always bring my catty with me when I come to browse for a while. Also at the actual SU! parties what I love it seeing gadgets and using things like the Dazzling Diamonds, the glue sticks, using the SU eyelets....etc.. The stamp sets most the time can sell themselves but for me I need to see the accessories and things like that being used and demo'd. They always peak my curiosity. I always go to a party knowing what stamp set I am going to get but I always leave with buy the stamp set plus a new shade of color or accessory that I just must now have. Case in point I went to a SU! party yesterday for a stamp set and a thing of spots and I left after buying those plus the sponges and Rich Regal eyelets. I am a sucka for a great product.
Hope that helps.

Mom to Chris (6) & Debbie ( !
Wife to fantastic hubby Don !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

great thread - subscribing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2005, 01:15 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Default what I like/dont like

-love making things - don't want to just look at someone demo
-show me many samples to get my creative juices going
-I will never buy a catalog - just don't believe in paying for catalogs in general, fortunately I get a SU catty in my stamp group
-I want to learn as many techniques as possible - and love doing a swap with the technique with my fellow club members
-I feel that most of the SU non stamping products (ie stuff other than the stamps, inks, and paper) are very overpriced and can be purchased at the local craft stores for much, much less. Therefore I stick to SU for those items mentioned above.
-A on line catty is no real use to me since I am still in the dark ages with dial up and the catty just takes too long to load. Besides, I love curling up on the couch with a good book and the catty is perfect for this!
-Wish there were more $ specials (ie free shipping, 50% off, etc).
-Wish demos could demo retired sets - I have too much invested in them not too use them and often I can't justify a new set when I have one very similiar that is retired.
-My SU demo is a great teacher - this is what makes our group so good. I can't imagine just have someone to place an order with and have no other interaction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2005, 07:46 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I enjoy the stamp camps and the classes. The easy to make cards and the involved ones are great too! What I appreciate about my demonstrator is that she is prompt with an order and submits it right away. I gave her an order last week Saturday and it came in five days later. When I am excited to use a stamp set that I recently used at a workshop I like to get it asap to begin using it. I also like the fact that she gives me 10% now because I order so much from her. She recently gave me a hostess set to say thanks. I like the fact that we use each others stamp sets when we need them. I like the fact that there are no "secrets" and she will be honest with me about the products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2005, 07:54 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am one of the lucky ones! I have an AWESOME demo who has also become a great friend! Here's what she does to keep her customers happy:

Offer stamp clubs. We meet once a month and do two projects and swap cards for that month's theme. Each month one of us is the hostess.

Offer stamp camps with projects for everyone from newbie stampers to "seasoned" stampers. Sometimes I like going back to the basics and making a simple yet very nice card.

My demo has an open house every year when the new catalog comes out. We make a couple of projects using new stuff and we get to see samples that she has swapped for or created herself. At the open house we also get a coupon book (if you RSVP by a certain date) that has a great deal every month. These incentives help get those orders! Using the products goes so far in selling them! Hands on is best!

My demo is very willing to help me out when I get in a bind with a stamping project whether I call her up or send her an email. She is very helpful, and if she doesn't have the answer - she finds it and gets back to me.

I also like that she places our orders timely and gets them to us quickly.

Sorry this is a bit long, but these are all GREAT qualities in a demo (IMHO)!
Laurie's Cards & Ramblings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 06:08 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I like stamp camps or classes. I like it when the demo picks one stamp set and a couple colors and does a few cards with only that set. That way if I like the cards then I can buy the set and the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 06:26 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Default What I would like to see....

in a demo is something brand new. Either a new way to use a product or a new technique. I don't like doing cards CASED from the catty- I can do that at home! I like it when the Demo gets creative, and leaves room for me to be creative. (My demo is more artistic and I am more creative.You must do the cards in her demo exactally like her's.)
I do like classes. And I am sure that I would love camps.
The catty has the advantage of being totally portable- I love that!! I will continue to buy the catty.
What encourages me to buy is a 'deal'. (I have not bought one thing my demo has shown. I think it is her way of presenting the products. I will not complain though, because she is a brand new demo.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 06:34 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyndiestamps
As a former demo, I tend to get my inspiration from a lot of different sources (mostly SCS!) and don't need workshops, etc. for that. I would say that the single most important attribute of a demo for me personally is that the order be delivered in a timely manner. Unfortunately it is the one thing I have most trouble getting. I have had demos hold back my orders to combine with other customers' orders so someone (not me) can get hostess benefits; they have taken several extra days to submit my order because they just didn't get around to it; they have even held back my orders so the sale occurred in the right month or quarter. When I was a demo I always submitted the orders promptly and let the customer know when the order would be delivered (SU makes this easy by sending an email when the order is shipped--why can't the demo forward this to me?).

Sorry for the rant--I've just been recently burned by my latest order taking an extra 10 days because the demo forgot to complete the ordering process. I just wish this sort of thing could be carried out in a more professional manner. I'm hoping that demos who see this will try to be a little more attentive to this aspect of their business--it is important!
I think you need to find a new demo!

So very blessed and so very thankful.
God is good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 06:36 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I have never been to a stamp camp or classes since my demo lives out of state, but normally I am a visual hands on kind of person. I don't necessarily want step by step instructions (unless it's a new technique) in the form of place this here, that there and it's done. I like "instructions" that gives me a range of possibilities and allows me room to play and experiment to see how this or that could be applied in other cases. In other words, I just want enough to take my mind for a spin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 07:10 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lzzy910
in a demo is something brand new. Either a new way to use a product or a new technique. I don't like doing cards CASED from the catty- I can do that at home!
Your demonstrator must cater to a variety of skill levels--no easy trick! Showcasing projects CASED from the catalog can be extremely helpful and encouraging to newbie stampers who feel they are unable to come up with their own designs. She may be remembering what it was like for her when she first started, and wants to make sure newbies feel confident they CAN stamp and make pretty things!

Quote:

I like it when the Demo gets creative, and leaves room for me to be creative. (My demo is more artistic and I am more creative.You must do the cards in her demo exactally like her's.)
As a demonstrator, I DO encourage my customers and class participants, when at home, to experiment and try variations of a concept, however, in a class setting, when participants do this, it tends to slow down the process and prolong the time, so I always request that they please, in the interest of speed and time for all, to please duplicate the project exactly as it is shown tonight. (I can't tell you how frustrating it is for other participants, when someone grabs stamps and ink from another station to incorporate into the project at the OTHER station because they want to do theirs "differently". :( Or, lingers on elaborating their design as others are waiting to use the stamps and inks . . . )

Could it be that your demonstrator has to confront these same issues and is attempting to alleviate that as I do?

Quote:

. . .
What encourages me to buy is a 'deal'. (I have not bought one thing my demo has shown. I think it is her way of presenting the products. I will not complain though, because she is a brand new demo.)
Generally speaking, everybody loves a discount or deal, of course (!), but it can be extremely difficult for a new demonstrator to offer much of one, if any at all. The base commission is 20%; unless her sales are massive, and/or she has a large downline, she cannot compete with the amazing discounts and deals offered by demonstrators higher up.

She is then stuck in a catch 22: Offer discounts and deals to compete with those demonstrators that can afford them, and make zero income or even end up operating in the red (definitely no way to run a business). Or, offer very minimal to none in order to keep her small income to reinvest and grow her business, and suffer losses when customers attend her classes/camps, etc., but then make purchases from another demonstrator because they will only buy from demonstrators that offer discounts/deals.

At that point, she is in a "cannot win for losing" situation . . . :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 AM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I too would say that I'm always up for a deal, but I understand why many demos are not able to give deals.

I read on SCS the other day that the new online catty has a wishlist feature. This will definitely entice my hubby and MIL to buy SU! products as a gift for me. They don't like the idea of giving gift certificates, and the paper catty is just too much for them. I'm really excited about this feature and can't wait to develop my list online.

Often SCS is the greatest enticement for me in deciding which products to buy. The gallery and forums are a great place to learn and see what people are doing with the latest products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Forgot one thing:

My demo offers to be a Santa's helper! She gives her customers a wish list to fill out and give to their spouse or whoever is buying a gift. She places the order, wraps it, and has even delivered the package for my hubby! What a great way to help out customers and get great sales! My hubby loves it because he really doesn't have to do much, and he knows I get something I will really like.
Laurie's Cards & Ramblings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2005, 11:37 AM   #35  
Gabfest Goddess

I LOVE my demo!!! She's a hobby demo, but AWESOME!
She offers great "deals" each month. Usually they are themed like this month it's a % off any Fall stamp sets or colored items. Next month it's the same for Christmassy colors and sets. She also offers free shipping (from her to us) and a "Thank You" gift with every order. These little things are fantastic. She also includes technique sheets with most orders. And clubs! She always has at least one (if not 2 different) Hostess clubs going on. $30 - 4 - 5 and $50 - 4 - 3 are the ones I've joined She's the third demo that I've ordered from and by far the best!

I do not like "parties", workshops or camps. From my experience, I don't learn anything new from those. I had a demo once that had us repeat the color names as she was using them to demo. Ok what are we 4 years old? I hated being talked down to, just because I was a "newbie". And because of this I always felt inferior to her. Now she lives only a few miles from me, but I would rather order from a gal who lives across the state because of the way I was treated.
The #1 thing that inspires me to buy from SU is of course the stamps, and SCS does a fantastic job of showing me why I NEED certain sets! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 09:35 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

I've gone to a few "workshops" with my old Demo. Who now lives on the East Coast, I'm on the West Coast. She was fabulous because she was very low key, She had three to four different cards to make at a different skill level. This was great because even though I was a "Newbie" I have a lot of background in the arts. So for me it was easier. I made all three cards where others only did one. She only charged us per card that we made and not a flat fee. I paid $6.00 for my three. Totally worth it.

Discounts are a big motivator especially free shipping. Someone on this thread previously said they think the non-stamp/non-ink products (embellishments etc) are way over priced and I agree. I can usually get a punch at JoAnns with a 50% coupon for $5 or less. So I don't buy these types of things through SU. However you can NOT beat the stamp sets, not only do you usually get 4-5 more stamps for the price (even with coupons) in a set but you also get the quality, the original designs and a community with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

Very helpful info. Thanks.

PennyP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2005, 07:34 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Everyone has great tips -

I agree on the prompt turnaround. When I was a demo I always made sure the order went in that night or the next a.m. following up with the hostess but they always had it in a week -- and I always checked the order and separated it for her and stapled the customers order forms to each bag, and DELIVERED it to the hostess, putting any paperwork I wanted to get to each customer and hostess. HOstesses always thanked me becuase that way they just had to hand out their stuff to their friends and I always knew if something was backordered or was omitted from the order firsthand.

Also I think the workshops where people do projects rather than watch and then do just one was definitely more successful. Keep an eye on the guests that look overwhelmed and try to help them out without putting them on the spot -

I also made sure I put all the project info on a little sheet so that whatever products we used that night were listed on the sheet so they could just order from that sheet to recreate what we made -- SO much easier and came from the fact that the first workshop I had, people were saying "what page is such and such on" and prices, and so on. Especially when you are new you don't know that stuff so the page should have the product, page # and price and stock # all set so they can order, or look into the catty if they need to see anything else.

I really miss being a demo, but I am lucky to even get to SCS never mind touch my stamps lately!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2005, 08:06 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Please tell us SU demos what you would like to see in a demo. What works with you? Especially -- What motivates you to buy (other than these awesome samples)? Will the presence of the online catty help you? Do you like workshops or do you prefer to just place an order directly with your demo? Do you like stamp camps, or classes?

Any complaints? (no names and be nice). We are just trying to learn to be better demos. Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I never answered your questions directly so to add:

Now that I am a "customer" I especially like to see new ideas, etc. My SU demo is out of state now so the only demos I see now are the occasional things they do at the local store, but I think what really works is having great products to work with and let me just say DON'T give them glue stick! I just went to a customer appreciation night and they gave us glue stick for the projects, all I could think of was how cheap was that -- most of us looked at each other becuase we knew our stuff was going to fall apart and most of mine did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2005, 05:48 PM   #40  
Watercolor Wizard

I had no exposure to stamps when I went to my first SU party - I was totally overwhelmed. The demo went on and on about how we were going to learn this shaving cream technique (???) on a door knob hanger (??????) - I didn't get it. Didn't get it at all. I didn't buy anything because I (again) didn't get the stamp thing - I didn't know you could make cards or scrapbooking (this was before scrapbooking was very popular) and ten years went by before I discovered what IT was. I'm still get upset when I think about that party because I didn't understand why I (as an adult) would ever need a door knob hanger and since I didn't understand basic stamping - what was the big deal about the shaving creme technique. I guess I was pretty clueless but I'm a huge huge shopper and now a stamping addict and if I had the right demonst. that night she would have made big bucks off me by now! and my second idea is PLEASE TAKE CREDIT CARDS. I don't carry cash/checks - if you don't take a credit or debit card, you won't get a sale from me.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes