Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All the digital stuff...hmmm

I think the digital stuff is cool, but I don't think I'm going to get into too deep. I like playing with my stamps and paper, etc. I saw a card today where it looked like there were layers, but it was all done digitally. I think that takes the fun out of making cards, and I'm on my computer enough as it is for work, etc. Anyone else feel this way?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I would miss my "stamp therapy"! I need to feel the different textures, etc. I guess i have been stamping too long to change my ways!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

It may have been my card (but maybe not!) for the record I would certainly NEVER stop layering papers like a cardmaking "purist" LOL, but if you have the digital files anyway (these come in a kit) it can be fun to play around with them, just one more thing to get creative with (especially when you're low on patterned paper and need to "make it work!") ;)
Please visit my blog "Hands, Head, and Heart" at:
http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/
Check out my Youtube channel for stamping and cardmaking videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MelanieMuenchinger/videos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

It's great to have the digi papers available if I need an accent piece or layer, but doing the whole card digitally is almost the same as going to buy one at the store. I agree with McDeb, I love all the layers and texture that only a handmade card can provide.

But I can see the beauty of it if you need to mass produce something quickly, or you need something very custom. It's great to have the digital designs as another option.

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by melmelView Post
It may have been my card (but maybe not!) for the record I would certainly NEVER stop layering papers like a cardmaking "purist" LOL, but if you have the digital files anyway (these come in a kit) it can be fun to play around with them, just one more thing to get creative with (especially when you're low on patterned paper and need to "make it work!") ;)
Mel... Your example with Gina's papers was super cute! I think being able to print out the size needed via the digi papers without having to buy a whole sheet of 12x12 will be a great option. I have sooo many pieces of LSS DP left over from a project that will never get used. Gina has inspired me to think about designing some of my own patterns as well.

Plus I have your gallery on speed-dial for inspiration! Love your work!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

"It's great to have the digi papers available if I need an accent piece or layer, but doing the whole card digitally is almost the same as going to buy one at the store."

Exactly how is it the same? I may be overly sensitive to remarks about digi (and hopefully that's all that this is), but it takes just as long to create a good digital card as a paper one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvette.SView Post
" but it takes just as long to create a good digital card as a paper one.
Today was my first real "stab" at it, and I will say I felt the same sense of "I made that!" at the end that I do with my paper layered cards. I got to choose the patterns, layers, colors etc so it still felt like a very creative process, defintiely took time and thought.

I love the many layers and textures that multiple papers provide (which is why I still stamped on it a little and added some ribbon!) but I'd be just as proud giving it to a friend as one of my others...
Please visit my blog "Hands, Head, and Heart" at:
http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/
Check out my Youtube channel for stamping and cardmaking videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MelanieMuenchinger/videos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I like everything that has to do with paper. And sometimes I find that I love two or three of the pieces of patterned paper in a pack but there are a few that I really don't care for. What's nice about digital paper is that you can print as many as you want of what you love but you don't have to use what you don't.

As far as all digital- for some people, creating on the computer is as satisfying as creating with paper. Many of the stamp designs and patterned papers are created using computers by some very talented and creative people who get lots of "crafting satifaction" from the digital realm.

Isn't it wonderful that we have sooooo many options to help excite and inspire all of us?!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvette.SView Post
"It's great to have the digi papers available if I need an accent piece or layer, but doing the whole card digitally is almost the same as going to buy one at the store."

Exactly how is it the same? I may be overly sensitive to remarks about digi (and hopefully that's all that this is), but it takes just as long to create a good digital card as a paper one.
Yvette... I'm so sorry if I offended you. I have done computer graphics for many years and I know only too well how long it takes me to be happy with a design or layout, and the endless hours I spend "tweaking" things to get to the end product. There was no intention of saying it was less creative than doing a paper card. Re-reading my post, I can see how it might be taken that way.

I guess I was thinking of my own experience with my family who forever asked me when I gave one of them a very layered, embellished card "did you do this on the computer?" That has made me probably oversensitive the other way. Of course, now with so many beautiful digipapers and layouts available, it puts a new spin on things.

I especially love the new digiscrapping pages that can be put into a beautiful book of family treasures that will last for generations. I've been looking at some of the digiscrappers blogs and am blown away by what I've seen.

In the end, the creative process is much the same. I guess that's why we all find it so addictive!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I'm not really offended, just a little defensive lol, too many years of hearing digi put down I guess! I admire all the paper crafters and their handmade creations, it's all a creative process
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, I too need my stamp therapy...for me it's what's the point of digital? I need my "real" stamps...it's too much of a tech/cyperspace world as it is. But I do see the point of making one's own designer paper....that's interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I think that I feel the same sense of accomplishment either way I go when creating either traditionally or digital. I think it actually took me longer to create a card digitally than traditionally because I can "try everything on" my digital creations with out messing anything up....I love the digital stuff so dont get me wrong when I say that I think the digital overwhelms my thought process a little more than traditional paper and stamps....but ya know some days EVERYTHING overwhelms and over stimulates my brain , hehe. the hybrid thing REALLY takes me forever!

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I love all the digital stuff I have seen. I've even read a little about digital scrapping and cardmaking. But, after a day of trying to teach teens to key and use a computer, I really don't want to be creative at a computer. I really like touching the paper, feeling the embossing, seeing ink on my fingers... you know what I mean. After school is out in May, I may try a few pages digitally.
Reply With Quote Likes