Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for selling some stamps on Ebay

I have quite a few stamp sets that I would like to sell on Ebay. It is mostly SU, but I also have some other companies, but just 1 set from each. I can't figure out if it would be easier to sell everything in one lot or just the SU stuff in one lot and then seperate listings for each other company. I already tried to sell most of it on SCS BST and this is the leftover stuff.

Wishlist
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Just out of curiosity - what are the sets?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyfullyhisView Post
Just out of curiosity - what are the sets?
I sent you a PM

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I have bought and sold a few items on ebay. I think bundling is a double edge sword. On the one hand, you can get rid of a lot in one shot IF you can sell it. I emphasize 'if' because for the more seasoned crafter, it could be a turn off. Who wants to buy a bundle that has say 3 sets and you only REALLY want one because you have the other 2. Or you have been hunting for 1 and the other 2 just aren't YOU. Personally, I would sell the separately and offer to combine shipping. JMHO. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

try selling them on SCS first, you'll probably get a better price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by laura6View Post
try selling them on SCS first, you'll probably get a better price.
I noted in the post that I already tried, these are items that didn't sell or are current SU

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I've sold lots of SU stamp sets on Ebay for years successfully. But I always list them separately. As another poster noted, a seasoned crafter is most likely hunting for a specific set.

I offer to combine shipping if a single person wins more than one auction. Be aware that you lose a little of your profits on the listing fees; but I keep mine to a minimum. No fancy extras just one photo unless I need to show a specific area more closely. And then you also pay a final fee that is a percentage of the sale price.

I know wanting to offer things as "lots" seems like a great idea. It saves you work up front with photos and such, and then, hopefully only one packing and shipping at the end. But I believe you will sell more by offering each as an individual auction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you can hold off a couple of weeks I'd recommend it. Ebay is typically very slow during the summer and picks up in early fall and toward Christmas. You'll get a better price if you can hold on. I've been a long time shopper & on/off seller on ebay and get great deals during the summer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie30View Post
If you can hold off a couple of weeks I'd recommend it. Ebay is typically very slow during the summer and picks up in early fall and toward Christmas. You'll get a better price if you can hold on. I've been a long time shopper & on/off seller on ebay and get great deals during the summer.
VERY true about being slow on Ebay during summer. I am also doing the same thing as the original poster ... getting rid of many of my SU sets. In so doing, I was going to Ebay to get some pricing ideas and was SHOCKED how many auctions were wrapping up with no bids! Maybe people hopped in right at the end, who knows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Best bet is to keep them seperate. Many people won't get the lot of stamps if it has a couple of sets in it that they already have, even when the price seems good. Esp because the amount of shipping they will have to pay goes up.

I would be watching some ebay auctions of the same sets that you are looking to sell and see how they are doing.

Good luck

Holley
a new project everyday! Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from experience of selling a few times; I would check and see first if that item already has a listing, so you don't have to pay rates, for something that may not be bid on anyway. There is a lot of stamping stuff that is not selling.
I would also go separate items to sell and discounted shipping for more then one item. I hate paying shipping for one item, only; but, neither do I want to pay for stuff I don't need in a bulk SU sale. Good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolleyTXView Post
Best bet is to keep them seperate. Many people won't get the lot of stamps if it has a couple of sets in it that they already have, even when the price seems good. Esp because the amount of shipping they will have to pay goes up.

I would be watching some ebay auctions of the same sets that you are looking to sell and see how they are doing.

Good luck

Holley
a new project everyday! Holley's Blog

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I've bought loads of su stamp sets from Usa- they are very big here in the UK so make sure you offer postage to UK ! The best sellers use UPS I think at a set 13-ish dollars.
Be sure to show the postage on the listing as well, becasue of the time difference I dont bother to send message to ask postage if non shown - usually want to bid there and then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
I've sold lots of SU stamp sets on Ebay for years successfully. But I always list them separately. As another poster noted, a seasoned crafter is most likely hunting for a specific set.

I offer to combine shipping if a single person wins more than one auction. Be aware that you lose a little of your profits on the listing fees; but I keep mine to a minimum. No fancy extras just one photo unless I need to show a specific area more closely. And then you also pay a final fee that is a percentage of the sale price.

I know wanting to offer things as "lots" seems like a great idea. It saves you work up front with photos and such, and then, hopefully only one packing and shipping at the end. But I believe you will sell more by offering each as an individual auction.
I recently sold a bunch of stamp sets on Ebay and was very successful. I agree with everything Cobby said. It is well worth the time and effort to take one photo of each set and list them separately. You will make more money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

I have bought many stamps on ebay and SCS. I probably should start selling some soon. ;)

Re: Selling in lots or separately? As others have said, separately, definitely, preferably with the offer of combining shipping. It actually makes it easier for me to find what I want using the ebay search function when the stamp's description is clear in the item's title. At least one picture is a must.

When I want to buy something, I check "Completed Listings" for it on ebay to see what its going rate is. If it's more than I want to pay, which it usually is on recently retired SU sets, I watch a few listings and wait patiently for the prices to come down. You can use this same tool as a seller to determine timing and prices.

Auctions that end on a holiday usually result in bargains because not enough bidders are watching them to drive the prices up. The summer is slow, and things come to a screeching halt close to Christmas when UPS and USPS cannot deliver before the holiday -- or, in the case of stamps, when there isn't enough time before the holiday to use them (as for making holiday cards).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I have bought lots of sets on eBay and just to go a bit further than Silver Unicorn .. offer international postage. I understand there is a bit more work involved on the postage end of it but we're often more likely to pay higher prices on sets that aren't or weren't available in our own countries.
Reply With Quote Likes