Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2014, 03:28 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for selling on forum

I am going to take the plunge and list some retired sets for sale. I was wondering how the sets are usually sent. I want to do priority I think, so it can be tracked. Do you use the bubble wrap priority envelopes? If so, how do you make sure the case isn't damaged? I'd love to hear peoples experiences and preferences.

signed, newbie seller
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunosmomView Post
I am going to take the plunge and list some retired sets for sale. I was wondering how the sets are usually sent. I want to do priority I think, so it can be tracked. Do you use the bubble wrap priority envelopes? If so, how do you make sure the case isn't damaged? I'd love to hear peoples experiences and preferences.

signed, newbie seller
You do not HAVE to send priority mail in order to get tracking. You can pay for it on first class packages, or use paypal or other online postage option to print your mailing label (in which case it is free, although you can't do that if someone sends you a "gift" payment). If priority mail is the only shipping option, I personally usually look elsewhere, especially with lightweight stamp sets.

I buy bubble mailers at Sam's, about $7 for 25 of the 8.5x11. I usually wrap whatever's in there in tissue paper before I put it in the envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Thanks Emily! I will look into options other than Priority. I agree, you don't want to spend a lot on lightweight stamp sets. I'm glad to find out bubble envelopes are OK. I was afraid people would want boxes so that the sets didn't get crushed. I don't like the Pay Pal gift option. I want the full benefits of PayPal. I just take fees into account when setting pricing. Thanks so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Be very careful to have the address and correct Zip code when you calculate the postage !!

I knew the exact weight but I didn't have the address and correct Zip code so I just put one for my daughter in another state . I didn't realize it mattered . I thought the shipping was based on weight

It said the package of CS would be shipped for $7.50 so that is what I quoted and told the buyer $12.00 would be fine for the CS and shipping

When I got the the Post office it was $12.75 for the postage :shock:
So I lost the entire cost of the CS plus 75� on the shipping

Learn from my mistake and get the correct address and Zip Code BEFORE you quote a shipping cost .
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 03-03-2014 at 06:37 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunosmomView Post
Thanks Emily! I will look into options other than Priority. I agree, you don't want to spend a lot on lightweight stamp sets. I'm glad to find out bubble envelopes are OK. I was afraid people would want boxes so that the sets didn't get crushed. I don't like the Pay Pal gift option. I want the full benefits of PayPal. I just take fees into account when setting pricing. Thanks so much for your input!
You can always offer a choice between bubble mailers/first class OR priority/box. I know I'm usually willing to take my chances with the cheaper option, but that would let you customize to the buyer's preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I have successfully sent smallish sets in the regular cardboard Priority envelopes. I've never had a report of damage.

For those packages that don't go Priority, I usually use a kraft bubble-wrap envelope. I always request tracking because the one time I didn't the package purportedly never arrived. Oddly, this was a trade and the package I was promised never arrived at my house either. Just sayin'.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 04:48 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have bought wood mounted sets on here and asked that the seller just scrap the case (the old style ones anyway) and throw the stamps in a bubble envelope to save costs. It does lower the cost from flat rate to do it that way if you live in the same part of the US. Clear mount doesn't weigh anything really so an envelope is a wonderful alternative if the buyer has their own storage options. Sometimes flat rate really is cheaper though, just depends. Paper seems to be the hardest, if it's letter size, you can put it in a flat rate envelope but if it's 12x12, all bets are off...in my experience it's better to cut it down to 8.5x11 or keep it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 05:37 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I've also bought wood-mounted sets from here, which were shipped in the regular flat-rate priority envelopes with no padding. Some of those clamshell cases arrived with dinged corners, but I pull everything off the wood and don't use the cases, so I didn't care. The clamshells never arrived flat-out broken or destroyed, just the corners were a little mashed. If I did leave my stamps on the wood mounts and in the cases, the minor damage really wouldn't have bothered me.

Also, I won't buy from a seller who wants to be paid via paypal gift. That takes away my protection as a buyer if the item never arrives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Thanks to everyone for their input! I really appreciate it. I feel more confident about trying to sell some sets on the forum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

To add to your confidence, I've successfully received sets mailed in bubble envelopes - even with international shipping I don't think I've ever had a clamshell arrive damaged. Whereas I've received a couple of very battered Priority mailing envelopes. But I think to be honest not if they've been sets only, that's with something lumpy like a punch added in.
A couple of tips not relating to postage!!
As an international buyer I love it when sellers say up front if they don't ship internationally. Saves me sending a message and waiting for a reply.
I know it takes a little more time, but an alphabetical listing is so much easier to read and check.
Links to the gallery or index card for a set are wonderful :-D.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
To add to your confidence, I've successfully received sets mailed in bubble envelopes - even with international shipping I don't think I've ever had a clamshell arrive damaged. Whereas I've received a couple of very battered Priority mailing envelopes. But I think to be honest not if they've been sets only, that's with something lumpy like a punch added in.
A couple of tips not relating to postage!!
As an international buyer I love it when sellers say up front if they don't ship internationally. Saves me sending a message and waiting for a reply.
I know it takes a little more time, but an alphabetical listing is so much easier to read and check.
Links to the gallery or index card for a set are wonderful :-D.
Thanks for this feedback Sabrina. What extra would it entail for me to ship international? Probably a customs form. Is there international tracking? There must be...
Reply With Quote Likes