Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on new cutting machine:Silhouette CAMEO vs. Silhouette Portrait vs Sizzix ecli

OK, let me first say a few years ago I got a cricut for Christmas�. Coming from a Big Shot world, I thought this would be so much fun��.but I just never fell in love with my cricut. Maybe I don�t use it enough or whatever, but I simply fight with the sizes every single time I try to cut something. When I finally get something cut, I do like it but the frustration getting there & the wasted paper drives me crazy. I promise I�m fairly tech savvy�. 

I was on Pinterest recently & I ran across the cutest 3D snowman from svgcuts.com. I just fell in love with it�.thinking it was a die I could buy I was dying to order it�. Then I start reading about needing an electronic cutter for this image�. So the question arises, which one do I need? It seems these Silhouette CAMEO, Silhouette Portrait, and the Sizzix eclips2 are all pretty popular.

So I need some advice about which is the best for my needs?

Here�s a rundown of my usually craftiness:
� I don�t scrapbook too often,
� I make a lot of cards,
� I LOVE to make 3D paper crafts for Christmas gifts,
� I�m not interested in cutting chipboard

It seems that the svg website has a ton of really cute 3D stuff. Please share your thoughts with me on these machines. Then I can figure out if I should sell my cricut & all my cartridges and get one of these instead�. Thanks so much for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Well first, my apologies as I can't really advise you because I've am on the same road as you. One, I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but I do enjoy using them. I don't know if the lack of use is due to the frustration that I have found myself in.

I started out with a used cricut personal and then realized that I wanted something that would cut out larger 3D images so I sold it (and the mini that I had bought used too), then sold them both and bought an expression(used). I also acquired a gypsy with about 45 carts. I was in Cricut heaven but I still wasn't satisfied. I wanted to cut out more than what those carts offered. I bought a used Silhouette SD. The problem with the SD is that it mainly cuts only paper. Now this is the OLD Silhouette SD. BUT,... I really like the program that goes with it, the design studio. I really think that I want to sell them all and by the Cameo. There are also so many free and cheap files all over the web. Finally, I love designing a cutting file. It's as fun and easy as using the machine.

So, for the last several months I have been sitting here contemplating selling all of my machines and getting the silhouette cameo. I also failed to mention that I have the slice with about 10 carts. I love all of my machines but I am simply not satisfied. I want to narrow this down in a more consolidated way.

Now, Cricut has the new Explorer machine and if I got that instead, I would be able to use all of my carts from my cricut as well as, my gypsy and all the cut files that I have acquired with the Silhouette SD. I almost think that I need to sell them all and buy the new cricut. I'm not sure I'll like their program and not sure how user friendly it is...etc....ugh. I'm sure that eventually, I will be at the very least be selling the machines ..... and purchase either the Silhouette Cameo which would cut any of the material that I would like..... or Purchase the new Cricut and be able to cut all the SVG's, studio designer files etc including all my cricut carts. It seems logical to purchase the new cricut, but it's the cutting program is what I'm more apprehensive about than the actual machine..

I will take any advise... I hate riding on your threads coat tails, but I'm in nearly the same predicament.... oh what to do.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Kinda funny that both of the above poster's talk about selling their machines, because that is exactly what I did. Long story short I had an expression 2 used it maybe 2x. My friend has a silhouette cameo and loves it! Since I am mainly a card maker too, I went with the silhouette portrait. I just recently got it and the DH downloaded the software for me. I did a couple cuts with it and it cut like a dream. I'm not a real tech savvy kind of gal, so it may take me a bit longer to get use to it! I like the idea of being able to get the images you want verses having the carts to purchase not to mention the storage for the carts!

As far as the Sizzix eclips goes I cant comment on it because I have never used one!

The portrait model can do 3d papercrafts, but keep in mind that it will only take 8 1/2 X 11 " paper. It is a nice size machine, not big at all, the cameo is much bigger.

I did do research and read about the machines on here from other SCS friends and for my needs the portrait model was/is the best choice for me!

Good luck with your decision and enjoy whatever machine you decide on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks so much for your thoughts and info so far. Im hoping to find a machine that doesn't always have to be connected to the internet to be used. I read tonight that the new circuit explore does.... I'm kinda rural so that could cause a problem if my DH needs the internet at night....(we have daily download allowance = yuck) Plus some scrap/stamp retreats I go to don't have good WiFi either..... I'm reading up as much as I can... but please everyone, keep sending me ur thoughts and info.....its greatly appreciated!

Kathy-good luck on your decision...hopefully some posts on here will help u too. :-)

Connie-thanks for the info, I'm just starting to read up on the silhouettes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Cameo, I love it, I haven't used any of the other machines so I can't compare. You do not need internet connection to cut, once the file is on your computer, or even an SD card you can cut. I went with the Cameo over the Portrait even though I do not scrapbook, and I am glad I did as I have been able to make some pretty cool 3 D projects (if I do say so myself ) including 2 mini jukeboxes..with orders for more from family and friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Portrait and I LOVE it, I've had it since it came out and use it a lot. I don't do much scrapbooking either and I've never felt the need to cut anything larger then the mat I have. Some of the specialty media, like rolls of vinyl can be cut as long as you want it anyway, it's just limited by the width. I've made several 3-d items like boxes and they are plenty big enough for me on the Portrait.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp.crazyView Post
Thanks so much for your thoughts and info so far. Im hoping to find a machine that doesn't always have to be connected to the internet to be used. .
The Silhouette needs to be connected to the internet to download images but once those images are in your software you do not need to be on-line to use it, you will need to have it hooked to a computer though.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

I had this same discussion with my self a few months ago. I did go with the silhouette cameo for the versatility. I thought the portrait would be enough and was convinced " to go big or go home". I have done a lot of 3d projects and some cannot be done with the portrait. I had a stockpile of 81/2 x 11 paper and can still use it one the cameo, just change the mat size. There are a lot of free files avail online. As for svg...the basic cameo cannot recognize that type of file. So you get inkscape (free online) to convert the file or you buy the upgraded designer edition. It is normally $49.99, but I just got it onsale for $30. The basic program recognizes jpeg,dxf,png, studio files. I am glad I made the decision I did and have been having a lot of fun. I do mostly cards, but am now doing some vinyl. Well worth the investment!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

The big question to ask yourself - what materials do you want to cut?
Cameo does not cut chipboard well, people have cut the Silhouette's version of chipboard and thin cereal boxes. I have not had much luck and I seem to go through with my blades. As I don't use it as much as others I have gone through way too many blades. I was hoping it would do chipboard. Other wise I love what I can do with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another Cameo lover here. Love mine abd actually use it. It is easy to learn the software and there are sooooooo many free svg files on the internet.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

LOVE my Cameo. I'm not a scrapper, but love the larger size for 3D projects. I have even made some of my own cutting files! With all the tutorials out there, if you can dream it, you can do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
I have the Cameo, I love it, I haven't used any of the other machines so I can't compare. You do not need internet connection to cut, once the file is on your computer, or even an SD card you can cut. I went with the Cameo over the Portrait even though I do not scrapbook, and I am glad I did as I have been able to make some pretty cool 3 D projects (if I do say so myself ) including 2 mini jukeboxes..with orders for more from family and friends.

Jukie - I would LOVE to see some pictures of the jukeboxes that you've made. If you happen to have any pictures, please share.

Everyone else, thanks so much for your input so far. It seems that I am leaning towards the CAMEO at the moment...I like the fact that I can cut my own designs if I happen to get good enough to create them.... I've had my Expression for a few years & really just never use it, so I'll need to sell my few cartridges & my Expression first before investing in a CAMEO....but that won't be until after our vacation the end of June.... I have a retreat coming up in August so maybe I can have it in by then & have time to play with it... We'll see

Please if anyone has any other info to share, keep it coming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts
Thumbs up

I can vouch for the Sizzix eClips!
Like the others, it does not have to be connected to the internet. I download files from svgcuts.com plus other places that offer svg format files. I do have cartridges, but I actually use svg's more often.

Occasionally you can find a very good "sale" offering on the eClips online. I waited for one & scored. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp.crazyView Post
Jukie - I would LOVE to see some pictures of the jukeboxes that you've made. If you happen to have any pictures, please share.
No problem, but it will be the weekend before I can up load, happy to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I have had a Personal Cricut, a Cricut Create and an Expression. I liked them all well enough and had a fair amount of carts but was consistently unhappy with trying to get clean detail cuts and it never cut true circles. I also did not like the Cricut software at all. I just couldn't ever get the hang of it and I am fairly tech savy. About 9 months ago I made the decision to sell my Expression (I had already sold my others) and all my carts to get a Cameo. Thankfully I was able to sell everything and have enough funds to get a Silhouette Cameo.

I love it. Everything about it I love.

It cuts clean. The sofware is fabulous. I learned my way around it in just a couple of days and tried it out before I got my Cameo. I love being able to buy only the cuts I want. I LOVE that it can cut super intricate things, 3d things and perfect circles!!

The blade housing is different than Cricut in that you have to replace the entire thing but my first blade lasted me 7 months with lots and lots of cutting with it.

I do scrapbook (PL style) and make a lot of cards. But I especially love it for all the 3d items you can make. And in my opinion the way a lot of the cut files you buy for a box etc. are designed in such a way that you can make substantially bigger items than you ever could with the Circut. I'd say go with a Cameo even if you don't scrapbook because the size is so great to have.

I have cut cardstock, heavy and light, copy paper, and vinyl all with perfect results. I am completely happy with my Cameo and do not miss sorting through all those carts at all! Good luck in deciding
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

In answer to your question it depends on what you want to do. Are you willing to learn? I purchased a Klic-n-Kut and love it! But the learning curve was a bit hard for me. But I can create my own cuts in any font and any size I want. I can digitally convert any image into a cut file. It took me a while to learn. I didn't want to be tied down to buying cartridges. Besides tutorials on line, videos you can buy there is lots of help out there. With the KNK I received so much support from the seller, Paperthreads as well as the manufacturer. I suggest you research everything out there including information on your own machine. Their new machine is the Zing. I'm happy with what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes