Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2005, 04:13 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Addicted & Obsessed!

I am feeling totally addicted to and obsessed with rubber stamping, and Stampin' Up! products in particular. My addiction was somewhat under control until I came across this website a few weeks ago...now I'm going crazy! Every set I see, I MUST have! Even sets that a few weeks ago I wouldn't have paid much attention to, now I MUST have. How about the Spring mini catalog? Isn't it just awesome?!?! I want almost everything in there! Help...if my DH knew what I was spending on rubber stamps and related products...yikes, I don't even want to think about it. :o Is anyone else out there feeling the same way?? What can I say, I just love this hobby and I love the feeling after making a special card for someone. Who cares if it puts me in the poor house!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Surrender now, I say. Any attempt to stay away is futile. I think you need to sign up to be a demo. Then your addiction will pay for itself.
Oh......and welcome.
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I truly believe it is a disease...

And I NEVER want to find a cure for this one!!!

:-)

Jessica
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

I konw the feeling!! My demo says I'm silly! I even make lists, really detailed ones, of all the things I want - changes all the time too! One thing I would advise is to not hide from your hubby what you are spending - be honest with him. I tried to spend without saying what I was spending and it got me in trouble!! Now we have an arrangement. For special occasions I can spend a certain amount. Anything else it has to be money I have earned myself. Since I am a SAHM with few earning opportunities that don't include returning to an office, my demo & I have struck a deal. She substitute teaches and I babysit for her when she subs & she pays me in product! I usually have a pretty good idea at the beginning of each month how much I will be able to "spend" in that month and plan things accordingly! It's hard though because I just want to spend spend spend spend....

This site doesn't help me either! There were a few things, like the canvas background, that I didn't really want until I saw it being used on here - now I HAVE to have it!

Joining you in the addiction!

Jocelyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2005, 05:05 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I know what you mean, I'm in the same boat. I'd been a luke warm stamper at best through the years, and now the hobbiest in me is heating up since SU has been introduced to me. This website is no help. :mrgreen:

What say we tell our DHs on the same day to support each other? :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 05:11 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome to the CLUB! I think everyone here at one time or another would say they are addicted and obsessed!
At least it is not something bad - altho it may be just as expensive!!!!!

Find a comfy chair cuz you will be here awhile!!!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 05:29 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

CLUB? This ain't no stinkin' club!!! It's a CULT!!! (I have introduced my neice to this addiction and when she got the bug, I sent her a card (handmade and rubber stamped, of course) saying "Welcome to the Cult"!!!) I, too, am obsessed with this! Last weekend I went into my stamp room at 9 am on Saturday and emerged around 5pm! Luckily for me I have a potty and a fridge about 5 feet from my room. As far as $$$, I limit myself to around $50-$60 per month. Right now I'm trying to building ink (I've decided to buy all the ink spots). I have 3 of the 4 families. So, I've been getting ink spots, matching card stock and 1 of the inexpensive sets of stamps for now. After I have all the ink, I will then get more stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 05:37 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Addicted? Definately! But being from a crafty family, I have a lot of support from DH and family. Every time I think about how much it costs I remember something I read once, that it costs atleast $1,500 to start any hobby. Just think about the price of a set of golf clubs, how about the lacrosse/hockey gear for the kids? Dance shoes? I once put out $150 for a pair of tap shoes for my son. Riding lessons for DD? $175 a month. So I figure if I could spend that on my kids health and development, how about me? And let's not even mention my DH's obsession with hunting, quadding and that oh so wonderfully expensive past hobby of hill climbing snow mobiles. The helecopter ride to pick up his sled in the back country of BC when it broke down would get me a level 3 fee set!

And the bonus is that though I may be doing this for my enjoyment, the true pleasure comes from the giving and sharing with others.

Plus.....it keeps me out of the bars, the bingo halls, and from having an affair.. :D ....it is much more exciting to dream about what to buy, the anticipation of waiting for the order, the excitement when it arrives, and the satisfaction when the dream becomes a reality when you make that one small card to send to a loved one to let then know how much you care.

I might have to rethink the bingo though, might win enought to buy all of the 1/2 price sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 05:50 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Laderme ~
Thank you for posting that! Last night my DH (not darling today) commented on how much stuff I have "I wish you could see your hobby has turned into an obsession" he said ~ well he is right but it is a sanity saver for me and I love having something I can do other than bar hopping (not that type - dont drink or like loud places anyway ) and bingo etc etc etc...

Sometimes they just dont understand! He has diving equipment sitting in the garage rotting that cost well over $2000 - a Telescope, night vision, and hunting eq that would add up to over $1500 and a computer that cost $3000 that he plays with every night (oh but that was for me! yeah right) and he wants to complain that I have take over the formal dinning room!

OK I am done ranting today - again thanks for giving me something to think about other than how much I have spent on me lately!
Shelley

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 05:57 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I agree with Kathy -- resistance is futile! I started working on an idea for a swap last night at 10:30 and finished at midnight. After laying in bed for 45 minutes thinking about stamping, I finally got to sleep. I woke up at 6:00 this morning (had to go to the bathroom) and couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and started stamping again. I LOVE it and need my daily stamping "fix." Kathy also mentioned that you should consider becoming a demo to pay for your "hobby." I agree! If you love it as much as I do, you'll definitely be able to pay for your own supplies, as well as have a little extra spending money. Welcome to the club!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 06:14 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

OK - I am glad I am not the only "nut" not able to sleep because of this site! I will wake up at all hours of the morning thinking of layouts and sketches. It seems to happen on Wed. nights most - I guess because that is when the sketch of the week comes out! I have lost more sleep over this site - it is sort of silly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 06:35 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default addicted

Darling:

Welcome to the club!! You are in good company. I have "lists" of what I want. I feel the same way you do "I want, I want, I want". My DH is so sweet that now he knows how much the bill averages too each month. I feel the way you do . I just want, 'MUST' have certain sets even though they sit on my table for a week before I can make up something with them.

The best cure for this is to become a "DEMO" this way you can earn "free" sets when you host parties. Also you can always "trade & sell" on Splitcoast.

Happy Stamping,

Ana Malick :lol:

SU Demo
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 06:42 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

YAY!! I now know that I'm not the totally obsessed crazy stamper person everyone keeps calling me - there's more of us out there!! :lol: i LOVE SU and stamping - I'm a total SU snob, and I just became a demo so I could get more stuff for cheaper w/ the modest intent of doing one WS per month to keep me going - THEN I realized I want like the entire catty so I'm doing like 4 WS's this month alone!! I HAVE to have it all! And I spend as much time as possible stamping and the past couple of days I've been addicted to this forum!! It's never gonna end and I really don't care!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Default To Shelley

Shelley,

You are welcome!

After I wrote the post last night, I was still thinking about it. Funny you mentioned DH's comment about the Dining Room.

My DH is behind me on having my own craft room, and has even shopped for furniture with me. Now, this didn't happen overnight. I listened to complaints about my stamp stuff all over the house until we went to his parents for Christmas. I gently pointed out that the reason his mom's house (and mine) was so cluttered was because they hadn't thought enough of their craft to set aside a room for it. You know, boxes of wool tucked in the spare room drawers, behind the couch etc. I then took the risk and said how much worse it would be if his Dad had his tools in the house instead of the garage. He gently got the point, and now supports my craft room.

I am a hobby demo (that is a whole other story) and when my teens complain about the ladies coming over, I always comment about their smiling faces, excitement and new friends I have met since starting Stampin Up. Now when it snows, I just have to tell my son ' the stamp ladies are coming' and he jumps right up and shovels the walk.

My DD is the one who watches me most and will literally drag me away from the craft departments when we go shopping. I complain bitterly and she just laughs. So I fixed her red wagon. She wanted new shoes, so when good old Mom reached in for her wallet to pay, I tucked the same amount away into another part of my purse, smiled at her, and announced that even-steven, I get to spend the same amount on craft supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

I am so glad I am not the only one. My DH was just commenting the other day how he thought this was turning into an obsession. I love to get on this site and surf around. There is so much talent here and people are so friendly. I finally have found a hobby I can do alone or with other people if I choose and I actually feel like I'm somewhat creative which is a great feeling! I am thinking about becoming a demo to support my obsession but worry I may get in way too deep and not be able to keep up as a working mom hoping to add to the family again soon. Anyway until I decide what to do, I'm glad to know I'm in good company! LOL :lol:

Tracey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by photocropper
Last night my DH (not darling today) commented on how much stuff I have "I wish you could see your hobby has turned into an obsession" he said
Next time he says that to you, here's one that will probably shut *him* up as quickly as it shut up *my* DH:

Honey? Most women also don't consider *farting* to be a hobby...not even the one cheek sneak. And, dear...we also don't have a set of balls that we can scratch at random for free! So while you may be equipped to entertain yourself, I prefer being more highly evolved and needing to find other ways to stimulate my intellect.

:mrgreen: I'm *SUCH* a @itch! But, it hasn't come up since! ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh my gosh, we are all going to end up on Oprah! I am feeling the same way, I am borderline wanting to be a demo. I can't stay off this incredible website, I have highlighted all the stamps I want in SU catalog, I know that catalog like a demo! What are we going to do?????? Even my boys are asking what this site is? I am not so sure I want help....I like this! Lucky for me DH doesn't mind my stamp room or all the stamps I have. I just took on a PT job so I can afford my habit!....no its not a habit its a hobby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 04:49 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

My hubby doesn't care how much stuff I have since he knows it makes me happy, I wish I would have signed up to be a demo months and months ago as much as I spend. To me $100 is nothing when I am buying stamps. I can't wait to get my stuff so I will be an official demo and can get a discount. I can't wish enough that I would have signed up awhile back. I could have saved sooo much on my new addiction. I was just telling my hubby I thought when we move back to the states we need a house with an extra room just so I can begin making me a stamping room I eventually want to have all the supplies :twisted: I am also trying to get as much stuff as I can here, since we don't pay taxes overseas just shipping.

Also this site is addictive of course. I had signed on here forever ago and within the past few months I have been getting on here everyday. If I wake-up in the middle of the night I will swing in here and see what is going on since I've been asleep, then I dream alot about stamping and stuff, I know I must be crazy sometimes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Default addicted & obessed

I feel like I've finally found where I've belonged my whole life. And ladies the phrase I've coined for my love of stamping is Passion/Compulsive!
I've been a demo for 5 months and those of you on the fence, just jump over it. Even if you just become the "dealer" for your addicted friends you'll be very glad you did. My DH just see's my stampin stuff and says good now I can get a new ... And since I've discovered SCS I don't feel like I'm on a Island all alone. It's so nice to know there others who feel
the same way. So fellow stampers I say THANK YOU!

SchoolBusDriver by day Stamper every other minute I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 05:37 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Default addicted

you are not alone. i am 59 and thought i was done with crafts forever. gave away everything i had from copper enameling --ceramics---sweatshirt painting the list goes on. then went to a party out of obligation---end of story. but one way i do feel---is it's a way of letting people know how much you care when the words don't come easy. when you take a half hour out of your life to make a special card i think it says alot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2005, 06:07 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

I know what you mean, I have been in a stamping rut for so long and have just been mainly scrapbooking but since I have found this site(from my dear friend Rita) I have gotten so inspired from all the work in the gallery that now I want SO MANY of the stamp sets in the book and pretty much all of them in the mini Spring catalog.LOL
There are some very talented ladies here with beautiful cards and sb pages. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner to post any of my cards or pages that I have done but let me tell ya.. I LOVE THIS PLACE:-)
Rene'
Reply With Quote Likes