Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Addicted, Broke, What to do?

Well ladies and gentlemen,

I only get paid once a month, and thanks to all of you enablers, by the 2nd or 3rd week I'm usually broke.:( This means I can't buy anything.:( so what to do?

For me the answer was easy. I surf the forum. I chat in the general stamping sections and add my 2 cents worth and laugh a great deal. You guys are awesome with the humor. I look at the gallery. What creative people you are. I try to think of ways to solve problems by recyling. Got a lot of great tips on SC. Time is limited because I work at my job 12 to 16 hours a day. (Only paid for . yeah, I'm crazy, but all career school teachers are. It helps in the job, and I think it might even be a requirement.LOL.

So now, what to you do?

sam
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sam this is a fun thread to start!
Uh, let's see, 6 kids, DH is in the army, I am a happy SAHM...basically anything free is entertainment for me. lol! When I am limited in time, money, etc., I try to use what I have and do challenges for SCS or people's blogs. It helps pass the time and gets the creative juices flowing! And of course there's always that possibility of winning one of the challenges which then brings free goodies. :mrgreen: It's all one evil cycle. teehee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

arrange.. rearrange.. read the forums.. make HUGE wish lists.. i have to cut back big time in the spending arena of stamping.. so I am unmounting now and will find TREASURES!!!!!!!! in all the stamps I have sadly forgotten I had
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sam, thanks for posting this! I lost my job in October and just started stamping the July after that which left me SO addicted, broke and with a limited amount of supplies! lol

I've been learning how to do without some things and make short-cuts where I can in my techniques. (For instance, when I use red line tape or the double sided tape, I cut my piece from the roll then cut that piece in two or sometimes three strips so I can get as much from the roll as humanly possible. lol)

Like you, I scour SCS and blogs for inspiration and in fact; I've found it a lot of fun and a challenge to CASE cards on a budget.

One thing that can be frustrating is that sometimes I think a few people on SCS (and other forums) forget that what is one person's "must have" is another person's luxury. Sometimes it's frustrating to be a poor stamper on here! lol But it's still so nice to come to a place where we're pretty much all the same in our love for stamping regardless of how much we have to spend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonjinkoView Post
Uh, let's see, 6 kids, DH is in the army, I am a happy SAHM...basically anything free is entertainment for me. lol! When I am limited in time, money, etc., I try to use what I have and do challenges for SCS or people's blogs. It helps pass the time and gets the creative juices flowing! And of course there's always that possibility of winning one of the challenges which then brings free goodies. :mrgreen: It's all one evil cycle. teehee!
WHAT'S this!?!? I just started entering challenges three days ago; you can win a prize!?!? Fill me in, please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I've resolved that the only way I will buy new is if I either sell the old stuff or buy only the minimum for a special project. For example, I'm making a baby book for one of my very good friends. She and I went and picked out papers. I bought 6 or 8 sheets, then went through what I have and found GOBS of stuff that coordinated with it.

My best friend does all this stuff too so we make sure before we buy cartridges, embossing folders, stamp sets, etc that we check with each other.

Set a budget and stick to it. Don't use your CC cuz you just have to have the newest thing. After a few weeks the newest thing just sits in a drawer...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should definately check out the challenges - earlier this month Flourishes has a challenge where you were not required to use a Flourishes stamp. We also had 3 days of blog candy give aways where all you needed to do was to post on comment on the blog. We'll do the same thing in February so you may want to check out our newsletter. I do believe the other member companies have things like this as well.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up

When funds are limited, try some Image Swaps! I LOVE them! New images to color without purchasing the stamp. Let's you see what the image is like and you can decide if you really want to put it on your "Wish List!"

Another advantage of the Image Swaps was that I "discovered" stamps I had forgotten about and now can't wait to try again.

And the part about unmounting and finding TREASURES! Whoa! Is THAT ever the truth! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkirkView Post
You should definately check out the challenges - earlier this month Flourishes has a challenge where you were not required to use a Flourishes stamp. We also had 3 days of blog candy give aways where all you needed to do was to post on comment on the blog. We'll do the same thing in February so you may want to check out our newsletter. I do believe the other member companies have things like this as well.
Ahh - so it's usually just the challenges posted by member companies that have giveaways on challenges?

I don't have any of the amazing "designer" stamps featured on SCS so I think that would probably disqualify me! lol Someday I'll have some Flourishes & Gina K. Someday when the economy picks up! lol

TY for the suggestions, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #10  
Vee
Glitter Guru

My friend has 4 kids, so they are always outgrowing something. She sells it all on ebay and buys craft stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
When funds are limited, try some Image Swaps! I LOVE them! New images to color without purchasing the stamp. Let's you see what the image is like and you can decide if you really want to put it on your "Wish List!"

Another advantage of the Image Swaps was that I "discovered" stamps I had forgotten about and now can't wait to try again.

And the part about unmounting and finding TREASURES! Whoa! Is THAT ever the truth! :-D
Where are the image swaps posted...please and thanks!

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Ok,

I'm game. Where do I find image swaps. i have tons of stamps and I love to share. As long as you can wait if I have a set I'll stamp for you. Beware, I use Walmart's white Georgia Pacific cardstock. It's cheap and works for me. It's hard to get the solid images on it, however, Whisper White is the best for that, but it is expensive compared to GP. I was given some dividers that are in the card displays at stores. They are glossy. Going to try the solid stamps on it to see if I can get a better image. I really like the outline stamps better. so lead me to the Image Swaps. Where is it? Also, thanks for the tip about the challege contests. Really don't have the time now, but when I retire, watch out!

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

beg! if that doesn't work......

As I said in another thread, get an amazon credit card, charge everything, and use your amazon dollars to buy all sorts of craft stuff.

And, then there is always using what you have. If you are anything like me, you have enough stuff to last 2 - 3 years....... or trading your stuff for someone else's used stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by allensmView Post
Ok,

I'm game. Where do I find image swaps. i have tons of stamps and I love to share. As long as you can wait if I have a set I'll stamp for you. Beware, I use Walmart's white Georgia Pacific cardstock. It's cheap and works for me. It's hard to get the solid images on it, however, Whisper White is the best for that, but it is expensive compared to GP. I was given some dividers that are in the card displays at stores. They are glossy. Going to try the solid stamps on it to see if I can get a better image. I really like the outline stamps better. so lead me to the Image Swaps. Where is it? Also, thanks for the tip about the challege contests. Really don't have the time now, but when I retire, watch out!
I'm game too!

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's always Ebay! Clean out your stash and put it up for sale. You get to de-clutter, someone else gets what they're looking for, and you get to buy new goodies with your $. Everyone wins!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessp1971View Post
Where are the image swaps posted...please and thanks!
Once you get to the Forums titled Stamping Stuff, scroll down to SWAPS. The read all the topics. It is called Products and Images.:-D

Under SWAPS, you will see the part called Sub-Forums, tha's where you look all the way to the right. :-D

Last edited by kitty14; 01-24-2009 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessp1971View Post
I'm game too!
Check the swap section of the forum. There is one called Image Swap with Carissa. Off the top of my head I can't remember the exact name. Everyone lists the stamps they have and if you see some you want you pm the person and work out the details. Is fun I have tons of swaps from some great people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I go shopping through my supplies at home. It's amazing what you can find when you do that. I got me a $1.00 shopping basket and I use it to shop thru my embellishments, inks, stamps and paper. I really need to do a tool inventory. It's getting hard to remember what tools I do and do not have. I am sure many of us have lots of $$$$$ spent on lots of wonderful crafting supplies. My goal is to use what I got this year and only get what will enhance what I already have. Santa got me a Cricut Create so I am going to save up to get carts when they come on sale for $29.99 or less or win them on Ebay!
---------------------------
http://www.wanda50.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #19  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Bag up all the stuff you don't want and get together with other crafters for swapping! I currently have a laundry basket full of stamp sets, paper, ribbon, brads.....They are going in a garage sale CHEAP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjenView Post
Check the swap section of the forum. There is one called Image Swap with Carissa. Off the top of my head I can't remember the exact name. Everyone lists the stamps they have and if you see some you want you pm the person and work out the details. Is fun I have tons of swaps from some great people.
This sounds like a great one!! I'm a single mom on a budget and only have three "Designer" stamps. I would love new images to color and I love to share too!!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Here is the link to an image swap that I joined a while ago Forums at Splitcoaststampers
I will gladly trade images with any of you (I'm post #34). My funds are rather limited too so I'm not buying any new stuff for a while but will gladly share what I have
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Great thread! It's always helpful to know other ways of acquiring stamping stuff when funds are low.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Wink what to do

sugar daddy comes to mind
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by allensmView Post
Ok,

Near us is a store called Papers Plus and West Coast Paper and they have reams of paper for cheap. They have Wausaupaper in 110 lb and 140 lb for $9.00 for 250 sheets. The 140 I just bought and it seems heavy and will make great card bases and the 110 is good too but I wanted something a bit heavier. Any way the prices is so great and it is every bit as good as the stamping up. So go check out the paper wharehouses.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm really sorry to hear about the job losses. It could happen to any of us. I have a job and I still cut my pop dots and red line tape into smaller pieces and I save my SU CS and DSP scraps. In the Summer, how about going to garage sales for stamps? Maybe, get on the wish rak. It's always fun to get stampin' stuff in the mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #26  
I Heart Hugs

I was going to say WISHRAK! I've only seen it mentioned once on this thread. It's so cool! Once you join, there's a huge list of what people are looking for, you grant their wishes and earn wishes for yourself. For me, most wishes only cost one postage stamp to send and I get TONS of wishes back in return. You can wish for the "designer" stamps too so you have those to play in the challenges or whatever.

I also do image swaps from time to time. I think it's fun but sometimes I get stuff that I probably won't use which is why I prefer WishRak. However, if you are newer to stamping and want to get a wide range of images, image swaps can be really cool for that.

Also, sometimes I just ask the friends I've made from being on the forums if there's they would be interested in a personal image swap with me. If I see something I like in their gallery, I'll just ask them if there's images in my gallery I could use to trade them with. It's a win win.

I design for Whisker Graphics (Divine Twine)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Forums at Splitcoaststampers image swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterdovefairyView Post
I'll second this thread. It's a great group of girls and so much fun. I've been playing for a while and get at least one or two envelopes a week with fun new images!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischellelarsonView Post
sugar daddy comes to mind
ROFLMBO!

I'm going to consentrate on organizing my craft room over the next few months. Everytime I do that I find stuff that I haven't used in so long it's like it's new all over again. Using what I have and budgeting myself. I set a monthly limmit, always have, only now it's smaller than before. As long as I can stay within it then I know I can at least do a bit of crafting each month to keep my sanity. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartHugsDesignsView Post
I was going to say WISHRAK! I've only seen it mentioned once on this thread. It's so cool! Once you join, there's a huge list of what people are looking for, you grant their wishes and earn wishes for yourself. For me, most wishes only cost one postage stamp to send and I get TONS of wishes back in return. You can wish for the "designer" stamps too so you have those to play in the challenges or whatever.
I was going to mention this. First, you must join RAK (Takes a week or two to be approved.) Once that is done, you can send your information to the mods at WishRAK, and you are good to go. There are some requirements, to assure quality, and you have to fill wishes to earn more for yourself, but you can get a great variety for the price of a postage stamp or two. You can request CB embossing folders, die cuts, etc. as well as images.
I am one of the mentors for new members of WishRAK, so feel free to pm me if you would like more info.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2oliviamaeView Post
WHAT'S this!?!? I just started entering challenges three days ago; you can win a prize!?!? Fill me in, please!
Haha! Yes, how great is that? More than likely a challenge off of a blog or stamp company has a 'prize' (aka blog candy) for the card that they liked the most.
Here is a great site if you have a Cuttlebug
Here's one if you are a fan and have Magnolias, Whiff of Joy, Sarah Kay, Rachel Anne Miller, or The Greeting Farm.
And of course there are all the wonderful company forums here that have giveaways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

I feel like I should have written this post. I also only get paid once a month and end up being broke by the 2nd or 3rd week. I have tried to make some budgeting adjustments which work some months and don't others. I do try and pay all my bills the day I get paid, then based on what I have left over I figure out what I have left for what and then give myself a budget for each week. If I want something and I have already spent the money then I have to wait until the next week (which most of the time I have forgotton what I wanted and move on to something else that I heard about on here)

I also have been trying to use what I have and not hoard, as well as doing challenges in the little spare time that I have instead of spending it shopping. The good thing about using what I have already is most of the time I had forgotton that I had it and it is like it is brand new when I rediscover it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

another vote for wishrak here....I love filling wishes for others and the surprise of gettting my wishes filled when I check my mailbox. It is an amazing way to get lots of images. I only joined a couple months ago and I have an accordian file almost full of images...keep em coming.......
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Retired teacher here! I found that all my school teacher/aide/clerk friends were great at sharing supplies. I bought the Cricut and they all used it but bought replacement pads and blades. Another had the old red sizzix and we bought dies. We went through lockers after school was out for the year and found a ton of stuff we could use. When one bought something that had a million little embellishments we shared the cost and split it up. That makes a $6.00 bottle of dew drops really cheap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Location: On my sunporch- stamping and creating. Enjoying the view :)

The image swaps are definately the way to go and wish rak. I have a big box full of images that are fun to use! It actually saves time too because the images are already stamped and ready to create with.

Also see if anyone you know stamp, then you can get together and share their stamps, thats always fun

Check out my stamping blog.

Design team member for qkrstampede and eurekastamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

We are not all on unlimited budgets here!! I try to be very thrifty with my crafting supply purchases. Here are a couple of oldie but goodie posts that might give you some new ways of looking at things.

How do you learn your lessons about stamping?

When did you realize...?

I remember another one that was really good but can't find it now. If I find it later I'll attach it too.

I choose to believe that not being able to buy anything and everything just makes me more creative with the things I have!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Here's the other post I was looking for. It is the best one!!

What are the donts and nonos...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonjinkoView Post
Yes, I won a set from GinaK, and wound up spending $50 because I just didn't want my poor little free set to travel here all by itself!! Oh well, GinaK is worth it, and her shipping is supersonic!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes