Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABC self challenge

What are you doing to keep your stamp inventory down? (Selling doesn’t count! 😉)
I am to a point where I do not need or have room for any more stamps. Gasp!! I know, the truth hurts!!
Sooo, since I still have just about every stamp I’ve ever purchased I thought I’d challenge myself to use each set again. I have them stored in alphabetical order so I thought I’d go through the alphabet and see how far I can go. (I’m one of those, “ look, squirrel” people.) I’m still on “a”. I am allowed to use any additional sets, though I’m trying to use just the one set. Since I mail out most of them I make about five or so from each set. It’s been fun putting a new twist on some of the older sets I have. New colors, embossed bg, diecuts. . . I’m even trying to use up some dsp that I love.
Having fun, revisiting some old favorites, and not feeling deprived!
How are you challenging yourself?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Love your plan! You are in good company, my friend!

I am challenging myself to do something similar- I am making an effort to create cards with my older, retired sets or newer stamps that I have never used yet as well. I estimate that I could do this for years before I run out of stamps, lol!

Although, I am not using them in any particular order (I am not as organized as you, lol!), I am also trying to create a card for each of the SCS Sketch Challenges. 

Right now, I am over half way thru the 800+ sketches but I have over 100 card designs to still post to my gallery - I am so far behind on posting but am having fun creating!

If you are able to post your creations to the SCS Gallery, also consider linking to the USEIT2020 challenge (see the link in my signature). This challenge encourages you to use up your stash along with older stamps and dies and we would love to see your artwork.

Have fun creating!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Very cool idea! Haven’t done the sketch challenges for ages. May have to go there if I get stuck!
I’m not as ambitious as you, wow, half way through the sketch challenges!!
I’ve noticed you’re using older sets along with Stampin’nana (I think it’s her.). That was part of how I decided to challenge myself! Love the creating. I tend to get the cards mailed before I think to get a picture! Lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #4  

Received 1,392 Likes on 522 Posts

This is a fantastic idea! I love my older stamp sets. A lot of times, they bring back happy memories and nostalgic memories as I'm using them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #5  

My problem is getting them mailed....but the All Occasion Card Challenge has helped me with that issue as well, lol! Love the SCS Challenges and our chance to connect with one another, hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2020, 05:14 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

I am doing something kinda similar ( but, I am not in the not shopping zone) what I am doing is, an Evernote data base and I have started adding in photos of things ( tools stamps, dies, embossing folders, stencils etc) that I have used in various categories.
so, I kinda scroll up and down in the stamps folder a lot and then if I cannot find a project I have a photo of using said thing, I pull that out and it goes into something soon. ( and I do mix it up with newer purchases)

(and then the photo goes in the data base ha ha) because, I will not remember 6 months from now.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2020, 06:57 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Susan (lateblossom) did that several years ago and shared here and on her blog. It's a great idea!

I saw another great idea from Tracy (whoistracy) that she calls "Fake it (then make it)". When she has something on her wish list, which is on the wish list because (of course!) there's something cool made with it out there, then she sees if she can make it with something that she already has. She's saved a bunch of money doing that. Probably a good idea for me. I have too much on my wish lists!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

How fun! I’ve done that lately too! It is sometimes a challenge 😉 to find a similar set! 😁😂🤣
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts

I have my stamps filed in categories. All my Besties, all the Birthday, All Animals, People, Plants and Flowers, etc etc. This way when I need a certain stamp for a challenge, I can find them in their own category. --- I have been known to go thru them all and pull out those I do not use anymore, and I give it to a group of women who get together once a month, to craft on a card. If it is new, I might send it out with a Tea Potter's card on the Tickle Tuesday.  I've been known to buy two of the same stamps.  Well duh?  Right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I see a lot of us are doing similar things. Julie, I've noticed your cards using the old sketches as I'm also working my way through the sketches. I'm only on 215, though. It's great for when I get stuck in the middle of designing a card. I am working my way through my Evernote database using the stamps that I haven't used yet. Right now I'm working on stamps that I catalogued in November of 2018. I have so much more to go that I could lockdown for so much longer still!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have such a huge stash I’m trying now to challenge myself by looking at new designs/ ideas and trying to match it as closely as I can with what I already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

I am doing something kinda similar ( but, I am not in the not shopping zone) what I am doing is, an Evernote data base and I have started adding in photos of things ( tools stamps, dies, embossing folders, stencils etc) that I have used in various categories.
so, I kinda scroll up and down in the stamps folder a lot and then if I cannot find a project I have a photo of using said thing, I pull that out and it goes into something soon. ( and I do mix it up with newer purchases)

(and then the photo goes in the data base ha ha) because, I will not remember 6 months from now.

I also have put all of my crafting tools and materials on Evernote. It really helps me keep track of what I have and what I have not used. What I love about it is that a given stamp set can be in a dozen categories and I will find it when searching a topic. I just number mine and don’t have to physically separate them into topics, designer, company, season, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2020, 07:12 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm constantly purging. I have a huge stamp cabinet my hubby built me years ago. (I keep only stamps that fit in that cabinet.) I keep my stamps stored by category (sets are broken up and all greetings are grouped as well.) When I see a stamp/set I would like, I check first to see if I have something like it that will work. If I don't have room to store it easily, then I either don't get it, or get rid of something so it will. I belong to a stamping club with over 50 members. We have a "freebee table" so someone else can pick up something they want, we have an Equipment Coordinator who does a fantastic job of sorting, numbering, cataloging and storing stamps and materials for member to check out and use. We also have a member who does art therapy for vets. that makes use of things. So I am never at a loss for what to do with stamps that are not getting enough love from me. My first steps, however, are my daughter and almost daughter-in-law who are into stamping now. They get first choice before I turn them over to people in the club. Since we have not met since April, I have quite a large contribution waiting to be given away when we get back to our monthly schedule.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2020, 11:36 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

My problem is getting them mailed....but the All Occasion Card Challenge has helped me with that issue as well, lol! Love the SCS Challenges and our chance to connect with one another, hugs!

I'm in a challenge called Mail it Mondays...which means all cards I've made the week before have to be mailed on Monday! Unless there is an immediate need to be mailed out the week before of course...

That keeps me honest about actually making and mailing out my cards! And we all know now how important it is to keep our post offices busy! It's kind of use it or lose it time with them...and we may well lose them anyway, but buying stamps and using them will help the most!

'nuff said about that! Mail those cards on Mondays!
Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 12:06 AM   #15  

Love all of your ideas ladies! I need to figure out a way to designate an area for the completed cards, my mailing scale, stamps, etc. so I can mail them out on Mondays :-) Our house is very small and extremely crowded right now with remodeling, etc. - long story...but I am going to work on that goal this week/weekend!

Trying to create a designated space outside of my craft room will help me immensely in getting the cards mailed (since everything I need to complete the mailing right now is spread throughout the entire house)- lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 12:08 AM   #16  

Quote:

I see a lot of us are doing similar things. Julie, I've noticed your cards using the old sketches as I'm also working my way through the sketches. I'm only on 215, though. It's great for when I get stuck in the middle of designing a card. I am working my way through my Evernote database using the stamps that I haven't used yet. Right now I'm working on stamps that I catalogued in November of 2018. I have so much more to go that I could lockdown for so much longer still!

Wow, you are doing great! I am not working in order but when I stamp an image, I am looking through the sketches that I have not used yet and am trying to make one work. I do have at least 50+ sketches finished but I have not posted the cards ....too little time, lol!  

Last time I counted, I have approx. 350 sketches to go....this will be a personal challenge that will take a few years to complete :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 06:39 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Love all of your ideas ladies! I need to figure out a way to designate an area for the completed cards, my mailing scale, stamps, etc. so I can mail them out on Mondays Our house is very small and extremely crowded right now with remodeling, etc. - long story...but I am going to work on that goal this week/weekend!

Trying to create a designated space outside of my craft room will help me immensely in getting the cards mailed (since everything I need to complete the mailing right now is spread throughout the entire house)- lol!

I have a rectangular basket that holds all of my finished cards that need to be mailed. I have a heavy cardstock divider for each month with all the names of birthdays/anniversaries on them for that month. When the card is done, I put the date of the occasion/day it needs to arrive where the stamp will go, and slip it in order of mailing behind the proper divider. I check it every evening/morning to see what needs to go out the next day/that day so I can write a note inside, put a stamp on it and get it out to the mailbox. I also have a list in my calendar book for the month, so I scratch off the name after it has been mailed. That way I can always know which ones I sent off for sure. I work about 2-3 months in advance, so, while small (7 1/2 x 10) and takes up little space, is big enough to hold about 15 cards for those months and a few more that I made out of order for an anniversary or something months in advance. This sits on the end of my work table where my phone, calendar book and stamps etc. are.
Attached Thumbnails
ABC self challenge-card-mailing-system-open-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #18  

Love your set up Jeanne! Right now, I have probably at least 500 cards made and not mailed yet- yikes!

We have a large church family and I want to start sending random cards to encourage, etc. as well as keep up on birthdays. anniversaries, sympathy....

Your idea is similar to what I have in mind, now I just need to find the space to store the massive card collection, lol! I am also planning on donating quite a few cards to various ministries, etc.

Thanks for your wonderful idea- hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Love your set up Jeanne! Right now, I have probably at least 500 cards made and not mailed yet- yikes!

We have a large church family and I want to start sending random cards to encourage, etc. as well as keep up on birthdays. anniversaries, sympathy....

Your idea is similar to what I have in mind, now I just need to find the space to store the massive card collection, lol! I am also planning on donating quite a few cards to various ministries, etc.

Glad it was helpful. For cards I have made that have no designated recipient, I keep in plastic card holders you can buy many places. They have plastic dividers you can label. Sometimes I will make extra sympathy, get well, thinking of you etc. to have on hand. I have three boxes, but at one time I had 4. They aren't very large and they stack perfectly. Not sure 500 cards would fit, though. That is quite a stash!
Attached Thumbnails
ABC self challenge-img_8578.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Glad it was helpful. For cards I have made that have no designated recipient, I keep in plastic card holders you can buy many places. They have plastic dividers you can label. Sometimes I will make extra sympathy, get well, thinking of you etc. to have on hand. I have three boxes, but at one time I had 4. They aren't very large and they stack perfectly. Not sure 500 cards would fit, though. That is quite a stash!
Attached Thumbnails
ABC self challenge-img_8578.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry about the double post. I was having trouble having it enter, so I guess I overdid!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #22  

Thanks Jeanne! Yes, I have been creating cards for years and was on six Design Teams at one point (creating over 60 cards per month- whew!). I stepped down from all but one at this time (only 2 cards per month, yea!).

I have the cards stored in a clear drawer like unit that is perfect for A2 size cards. I just have so many that it is a bit overwhelming to find the perfect spot to store them all in a way that I can get to them easily (plus, we are in a state of constant remodeling so boxes are everywhere, lol!).

Hugs and thanks again for all of your examples- you are an inspiration, sweet friend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes for mailing on Mondays! I used to take them inside to have them weighed and measured, was big on embellishments and dimensionals. I called it snail mail Monday. Now I try to keep them easily mailable so we don’t have to go inside.
Fun hearing how you all are tackling your self challenges. 😉🤙🏻
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodly CreationsView Post
Yes for mailing on Mondays! I used to take them inside to have them weighed and measured, was big on embellishments and dimensionals. I called it snail mail Monday. Now I try to keep them easily mailable so we don’t have to go inside.
Fun hearing how you all are tackling your self challenges. 😉🤙🏻
For all of the crds that I know are too bulky and need to have extra postage, I go on line and figure to figure the amount, make a printable label an arrange to have it picked up when the mail is delivered.  If I have missed the carrier and I need to get it out, I just drop it in an outside box, as it is already has the prepaid label.  I have learned a lot of ways to stay out of buildings being isolated since March.  Just me and my hubby are the only people that have been inside our house all that time and we have only gone to the Farmers Market (outdoors with masks) and even have our groceries delivered!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have my cheater measuring gauge and it works well most of the time. If it’s a special card I get them to weigh it, nothing says have a happy Birthday like getting a card with postage due.
We don’t have mail pickup here, too sparsely populated. We used to gather at the PO and catch up on everybody’s goings on. Now we “pass in the night.”
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I have my cheater measuring gauge and it works well most of the time. If it’s a special card I get them to weigh it, nothing says have a happy Birthday like getting a card with postage due.
We don’t have mail pickup here, too sparsely populated. We used to gather at the PO and catch up on everybody’s goings on. Now we “pass in the night.”
I can identify.  I used to live where we got no mail delivery and went to the PO to pick it up from a box there.  However, there was a mailbox and a slot available to send mail, so you could still drop it in, if it had the label on it.  Ours was outside, but the slots were available inside, as well, at all hours, so it could be done when no one was around and the PO was closed.  Good luck and stay safe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default reviewing stamp sets

Quote:

What are you doing to keep your stamp inventory down? (Selling doesn’t count! 😉)
I am to a point where I do not need or have room for any more stamps. Gasp!! I know, the truth hurts!!
Sooo, since I still have just about every stamp I’ve ever purchased I thought I’d challenge myself to use each set again. I have them stored in alphabetical order so I thought I’d go through the alphabet and see how far I can go. (I’m one of those, “ look, squirrel” people.) I’m still on “a”. I am allowed to use any additional sets, though I’m trying to use just the one set. Since I mail out most of them I make about five or so from each set. It’s been fun putting a new twist on some of the older sets I have. New colors, embossed bg, diecuts. . . I’m even trying to use up some dsp that I love.
Having fun, revisiting some old favorites, and not feeling deprived!
How are you challenging yourself?

You must be a mind reader!  I've been doing the same thing.  Making Pinterest labels for all the sets I have and pinning some ideas.  Once I use the set if I feel like I will use it more or like the outcome it goes back an the shelf.  If I don't like the set or don't feel the cards/images are what I would use more than once I put the sets in a box for sale.  I'm on "C"!

Reply With Quote Likes