Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 12x12 Cutters

Lately I have been going through blades non stop on my paper cutters! What are you suggestions for some great cutters to look into?
The following users liked this post:
DancesWithHooves (11-28-2023)
Old 10-27-2021, 02:56 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Fiskars Original Craft Rotary Paper Trimmer is what I have used since I began crafting about 12 yrs ago. It's expensive, and I don't know if anyone who offers discount coupons or good sales still carries it. On Fiskars' website it's out of stock and about $97. It rarely needs the round cutting blades or the cutting bar replaced.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by harvestmoon:
fl_beachbum (10-28-2021), Stampnnatter (11-02-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I do believe this is the one I had used when i first started crafting way back, then I got rid of it. May look in to it again
Old 11-02-2021, 11:24 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

I recommend the Fiskars rotary paper trimmer too. My original one, which I bought in the 1990s, is still going strong. The replacement blades are easy to come by (similar to the ones used in the Fiskars rotary fabric cutters which quilters use) but, as Harvestmoon said, you won't need to get a new blade often. I think I'm on my second cutting bar, which isn't bad for a 20-30 year old trimmer
After going through too many blades too quickly of the 'pointy blade' trimmer variety, I decided not to buy that design of trimmer again, and I haven't regretted it.
Some people love guillotine trimmers, which are also more durable than many standard type trimmers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a Genesis cutter, best one going but no longer made. I also have a cutterpillar in the travel size. Very similar to the Genesis cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Fiskars Rotary Cutter is over 20 years old but it's the bottom cutting strip that fell apart and I can't replace it as they don't make that unit anymore. I then went with Stampin Up cutter but they quit making that one so I purchased their new one. I hate it when they stop producing your product then you have to either upgrade or go with another company. Then it starts all over again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had many paper cutters in the past twenty years but always seem to have trouble with a smooth cut after short usage. I think it’s the paper getting stuck In the slot groove, even with my newest Fiskar. I had very bad luck with two Stampin Up trimmers, always trading blades. think I cut nicks in some by using a xacto knife. What do you crafters use to clean out the bits and fibers from the grove?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I love my RotaTrim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I have several trimmers in my craft room. Two guillotine - one mini and one by Crafters Companion which is 6" x 9". The mini stays on my table and is great for making smaller cuts. I got the Crafters Companion and the Carl for cutting multiple sheets and heavier paper, such as cardboard. The Crafters Companion is not 12x12, so I purchased the Carl for that purpose, which is a rotary cutter. I have two Fiskars, which is what I started out with. One has the extended arm for 12x12 and the other is 5 1/2". Have to change out the blades too often on those and the 12x12 one, which I noticed just recently, cuts uneven because the arm does not extend to the fullest. Thought about getting rid of it because I have the Carl, but it is lighter and easier to maneuver. I still might get rid of it. I use a tooth brush to remove the lint from the groove. Works every time. I also use a tooth brush to remove bits from my die cuts and the dies themselves. I really like using a tooth brush for crafting purposes. I've used it to clean intricate stamps as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by romomz:
bobbijl (03-24-2024), brownie59 (11-03-2021), Valeriesc (11-05-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 12:18 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinfulView Post
My Fiskars Rotary Cutter is over 20 years old but it's the bottom cutting strip that fell apart and I can't replace it as they don't make that unit anymore. I then went with Stampin Up cutter but they quit making that one so I purchased their new one. I hate it when they stop producing your product then you have to either upgrade or go with another company. Then it starts all over again.
I have what I believe to be the same cutter you've described. I bought a handful of those cutting strips when I found out they were not going to sell them any more. I go thru them FAR faster than I've ever had to replace blades. That said, I've gone thru them and now what I do when I need to, is buy a self healing mat at a cheap shop, use a tough utility knife with a steel straight edge and cut my own strips to fit. Works a charm and you get many strips from one cheap self healing mat! Still able to use that cutter and still cuts a dream. Give it a go, good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Dotty:
Cinful (11-03-2021), kazooMI (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 01:50 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fiskars procision. Self sharpening blade and I was amazed at how well it cut. I no longer use the replaceable blade cutter nor my Tim holtz cutter. Check out Amazon as I saw a good (lower) price there by one of the vendors when I was double checking the name of my cutter. I happened to get it from hobby lobby and I’ve seen them in Michaels, maybe Joanns

I was a little worried about the space as I have limited space but after rearranging I’ve not regretted it.
Reply With Quote Likes
brownie59 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 07:47 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the help. I saved one in my wishlist on Amazon…..maybe Christmas 😀
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2021, 08:26 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know rotary trimmers are really popular, but how do you cut square with them? What I mean is, if I'm trying to make a square frame, I can't get the inside cut out with a rotary cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2021, 09:27 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi all-I too use the Fiskars rotary paper trimmer. Mine is at least 20 plus years old. I don't use it everyday because it is bulky and takes up a lot of room. That being said-I do use it to make my dividers for my DSP shelf, using some "designer paper" gifted me by my girlfriend's hubby who works for a custom invitation/card company. My 12 x 12 cutter is too small to cut the 15 x 18 inch sheets. I like that the blades are still easy to replace if needed, though the 10 year old plus blade on mine still cuts like a dream! I also have severl of the "fancy" blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by decemberrosesView Post
I know rotary trimmers are really popular, but how do you cut square with them? What I mean is, if I'm trying to make a square frame, I can't get the inside cut out with a rotary cutter.
That's a very good point. I hadn't thought of that because, if I want to make a frame, I use nesting dies and the Big Shot. If I want to cut to a particular point, I line up the middle of the blade with that point by eye but it's a bit hit and miss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2021, 12:41 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaffeineCrafterView Post
Lately I have been going through blades non stop on my paper cutters! What are you suggestions for some great cutters to look into?

I have used the SU! guillotine for many years and still cuts perfectly. The SU paper trimmer does go through blades quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I just tried to look iit up and cannot see it oneline is it even still availible?

Quote:

Originally Posted by graceforever12View Post
I have used the SU! guillotine for many years and still cuts perfectly. The SU paper trimmer does go through blades quickly.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:10 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

It is no longer available. The Tin Holtz guillotine cutter appears to be the same one.

Reply With Quote Likes
leibetty (11-27-2023)
Old 11-05-2021, 08:18 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Perfect I will look into that one!
Old 11-22-2023, 12:25 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What is New for 2023 Cutters??

Hello, I have at least two guillotine cutters that do not cut straight. So far, the best I have is an older Stamp'in-Up cutter that is very accurate. (only in inches) The drawback is the blades do not last long & will leave a ridge on the cut side of the paper.
I would really like to find a cutter that is exact for cutting card stock.
What is the latest opinion on good cutters?
Blessings, Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2023, 08:42 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So many choices with paper trimmers! I love rotary blade trimmers! They rarely need replaced--if at all!
I have two paper cutters I use the most. For cutting cardstock into card bases I use my Cutter Pillar rotary cutter. I have a desk in my craft room just for this purpose, it's the 12x12 size. I have my Big Shot die cutter on that desk too. That desk is my cutting station. On the other side of the room is my work desk and I keep a couple of trimmers over there. My favorite is a Fiscar's Rotary blade trimmer. It's lightweight and I use it and lay it down alongside my desk when I'm done trimming pieces. I have a Cricut paper trimmer, but it is the kind with the blades that get worn out relatively quickly. It's a just in case I need it trimmer. I gave away a huge Karl paper trimmer to my VFW as it took up too much space.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2023, 08:49 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Decemberroses,
I love the rotary cutters, they cut so nice and straight. If you need to cut a frame with a rotary cutter, you use tape to make a starting point and ending point. You can do it with a rotary blade but it does take a little practice. Marking a starting and ending point with a tape like the yellow tape that lifts from paper easily.
Or you cheat and use a die cut! Hahaha.
I do keep a trimmer with a blade that will pierce the paper first (Not a rotary blade). They are best for cutting a square frame, but I don't do that very often anymore. I also have a Cricut and it will cut perfect frames if I ever need them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2023, 11:19 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank You

Great information, thank you for sharing. Blessings to you and yours. Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2023, 04:01 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

If you have a Guillotine, it might be sharpened by raising & bringing down the blade several times, without paper in it. I know the Tim Holtz Guillotine is that way. ( I think I read above, it is discontinued?) But, I also have a X-Acto Guillotine. I guessing it is the same way....Will need to check on that though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2023, 04:30 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazooMIView Post
Fiskars procision. Self sharpening blade and I was amazed at how well it cut. I no longer use the replaceable blade cutter nor my Tim holtz cutter. Check out Amazon as I saw a good (lower) price there by one of the vendors when I was double checking the name of my cutter. I happened to get it from hobby lobby and I’ve seen them in Michaels, maybe Joanns

I was a little worried about the space as I have limited space but after rearranging I’ve not regretted it.
I second the Fiskars procision! Have had mine for many years and it still cuts as sharp as the first time, with no blade or cutting strip replacement ever needed! Also works great for cutting just a teeny bit (like 1/8") off the ege of a card or panel when needed. And fits 12" paper which makes it very versatile. Worth the investment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2023, 04:51 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never been a fan of the rotary trimmers, never had much luck with consistent cuts. When the new Tonic/Tim Holtz rotary trimmer was introduced I held off buying because 1 - I don't care for rotary trimmers, and 2 - I didn't want to spend the money (lol). When it went on sale I caved and ordered it. I watched Tim's introductory presentation and learned the "trick" to getting good cuts. I'm very satisfied with this trimmer now that I've learned how to use it correctly. All of that said, I love guillotine cutters because most (if not all) are self-sharpening. I have multiple guillotine cutters from the small Fiskars to a commercial one that my brother picked up at auction and gave to me. That big one can cut just about anything and can take maybe 24" papers. It is big and takes up a lot of space, so it lives on a workbench in my garage. The one kind of trimmer that I have multiples of but that sit in a pile by themselves is the kind with the sliding piece with the pointy blade that wears out quickly. For my needs, they're pretty useless. I work with heavyweight card stock and that wears out those blades very quickly.

All in all, the choice of paper cutters comes down to what we are each comfortable with and what we'll be using them on. As a long-time guillotine lover, I wasn't sure I'd ever recommend a rotary cutter, but the Tonic/Tim Holtz rotary cutter would get my vote but I always have a guillotine available to cut heavier things like mat board, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Bravesfan Linda:
happy-stamper (12-01-2023), NinaBeth (11-29-2023), Paula in GA (12-02-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 07:05 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a variety of trimmers, depending on my project. Not mentioned, yet, but I really like the Creative Memories rotary trimmer (even has decorative blades and storage of the blades is underneath the cutting board). I also use the 6" CM guillotine for small/portable projects. I have the Fiskars 12" titanium (which does use up blades, depending on OEM or knock-off). I have a 15" guillotine from Staples for big projects. Finally, have a DreamKuts (no longer made, but sometimes available on eBay).
Another important fact is the type/quality of paper being cut: if thicker; if glittered; etc., that chews up blades very quickly. For those projects, I just keep an older blade, labeled specifically for that type of project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2023, 07:36 AM   #28  
Glitter Queen

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Fiskars 8" and 12" guillotine cutters, which I prefer to my old Fiskars rotary cutter. Pressing down on the rotary cutter is hard on my hands due to arthritis. I also found that I had to replace the cutting bar on the rotary cutter several times over the years.
Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2023, 04:09 PM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Cutterpillar desktop and the crop version. The cutting line is lighted and the blade is self sharpening. I absolutely love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
fionna51 (12-19-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 05:10 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm one of the rare crafters here that doesn't like the rotary cutters. I love my Dahl guillotine. It is self sharpening, but sometimes when I cut through something with tape or something sticky, it won't cut smoothly, so I just give it a cleaning with an adhesive tape wipe and all is good again. I've had mine for close to 20 years and it still works perfectly---even slicing off the very tiniest strips.

Last edited by jeanne3579; 11-29-2023 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2023, 07:25 AM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I like guillotines, but my one big problem with them is they don't have an extended measure after the cut like the trimmers can. So you are measuring the cut by subtracting from the other end.

I have a TH one and after a year the arm got a little loose and straight cuts got hard. You can not tighten it.

ie:
I have 8 inch paper and I want a 1 inch cut strip. I have to subtract 1 from 8 to measure it. When I get into fractions that is tedious to me.

Frames-I also use dies. For me, much more accurate.

I watched the TH discussion about all his trimmers including the new ones-I might be seeing wrong but the pull out arms on the news ones did not look aligned to the base to me? But how can that be right? Am I the only one? It is at 8:38.The black ruler looks it aligns but the plastic wall buffer looks off to me? Look closely.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2023, 10:15 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I use a Cutterpillar Pro
Reply With Quote Likes
fionna51 (12-19-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 03:38 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Love, love, love my Friskars Precision. I’ve used and gone through many different cutters and this one is absolutely the best I’ve ever used. Well worth the price. Think of it as an investment as you’ll never need to buy another cutter!
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2023, 03:48 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have this one: Xacto Laser Guillotine and have used it for years. I wasn't a fan of the laser so I took the batteries out, but it's handy if you're into it. I also never use the adjustable guide but, if you're doing multiples of the same measurement, it's handy, too. It's self-sharpening and doesn't really need maintenance. Every now and then I tighten up the screw that holds the arm, but not with any regularity. It's a pretty big footprint, but it sits on top of my rolling cart of paper until I need it, so it's not taking up any real estate on my work surfaces when it's not in use. I got mine at Staples or Office Depot or someplace like that...

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by gregzgurl:
TLady (11-30-2023), wavejumper (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 04:59 PM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Gee I like that handle on that xacto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2023, 08:05 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Gee I like that handle on that xacto.
Me, too. It actually locks when it's all the way down, and you push the button on the left with your thumb to unlock it - easy peasy! The grid lines and angle lines are pretty handy, too. That little dial is so that you can adjust the laser line to make sure it's lining up with the cutting edge. It's a workhorse, too - I've cut cardboard and magnetic vent covers and all kinds of things with it.

Last edited by gregzgurl; 12-01-2023 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2023, 08:52 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

I love the idea of the laser line. With my guillotine, I am never quite sure where the edge of the paper is---especially when cutting a small strip that's difficult to measure, as my grid is wearing off!

Last edited by jeanne3579; 12-01-2023 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
ChrisO (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 12:54 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I watched the TH discussion about all his trimmers including the new ones-I might be seeing wrong but the pull out arms on the news ones did not look aligned to the base to me? But how can that be right? Am I the only one? It is at 8:38.The black ruler looks it aligns but the plastic wall buffer looks off to me? Look closely.

I know it looks a bit wonky, but I have one and it works just fine. The paper rests against the edge on the base (to create your right angle for a straight cut), and the part of the ruler that pulls out can be read at the left edge of your paper where it just lays across the extended ruler. Does that make sense? Most of the time I don't even use the extended ruler because the base measurements go up to 6 1/4 which is enough for regular cards and mini slimlines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2023, 08:03 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I'm one of the rare crafters here that doesn't like the rotary cutters. I love my Dahl guillotine. It is self sharpening, but sometimes when I cut through something with tape or something sticky, it won't cut smoothly, so I just give it a cleaning with an adhesive tape wipe and all is good again. I've had mine for close to 20 years and it still works perfectly---even slicing off the very tiniest strips.
Me, too! Mine's a Tonic and it's also nearly 20 years old. I also have a very nice Carl rotary cutter that will cut multiple sheets of card stock; I use that when prepping for classes but it sits out of the way usually as it's heavy and takes up quite a bit of space.
Reply With Quote Likes