Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are digi stamps??

Do you print them off??? Or do you need a design studio or something like that?? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Melody!

Digi stamps are rally just black & white computer graphics, usually line art. They're really not much different than the clipart that you probably already use if you do word processing or anything like that (although all the digi stamps I've accumulated are better quality/higher resolution than most of the clipart I've seen). You don't need Design Studio to print them out, but if you already have it, they can be used in Design Studio.

I have a blank table set up in Word that I insert them into and print them off on cardstock, but you can also find free programs online to accomplish the same thing (Picasa is one that works pretty well).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Thanks, Cheryl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use Word Perfect or Microsoft Word to resize my images. It's actually quite easy.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Do you buy them or can you get them online for free?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by summerfunView Post
Some sites offer them free, some are to be paid for. If you google "free digi stamps" you can find some of the sites with the free ones; there is also a digital stamping forum here at SCS that includes posts of free digis and a list of companies. Some companies that sell them have a few freebies available for you to test.

You can also go to free clipart sites and coloring pages can be resized. I thought I would never pay for a digi stamp with all the free stuff that's available, but some of them are so darned cute that I had to cave.

Last edited by cbet; 04-04-2011 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 864 Likes on 515 Posts
Smile

Here is a site that I use a lot. Free Digital Stamps
You can even subscribe to their email, and they have a search box, so you can search for a specific image.
Digital Stamping - Splitcoaststampers The digital stamping forum is listed right underneath the general stamping title, and it is very helpful!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I am going now to take a look at them. now when you buy them do you just download them and do they cost as much as if you have the stamp. with being digital I did not know if they are a lot less then buying stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #9  
KBM
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I am going now to take a look at them. now when you buy them do you just download them and do they cost as much as if you have the stamp. with being digital I did not know if they are a lot less then buying stamps.
my experience is that they ae quite a bit less than tradtional stamps.

I have bought some from some folks on Etsy, Pink Petticoat, Pink Cat Studios, annnd I am just going to stop there.... I went a bit bonkers. So far Etsy seems like a great place to find a whole bunch of different styles!

There is a blog called Bird's Cards, or Bird's Blog. You can find it on google or Yahoo. Anyway, she has a CRAZY amount of free sentiments, papers, and images for free. Very generous lady. All she asks is a pic of what you create with her stuff!

there are also digital papers, which I am loving as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

There are so many places to find digis, and they cost a LOT less than rubber or acrylic...

- Some Odd Girl has a lot of cute images (about $3 each)
- InStyle Stamps has some fun ones
- You can go to Digi Chick and they have lots of papers, etc to downlopad digitally.
- Mo's Digital Pencil has a lot of beautiful images, especially if you are into colouring

There is a huge world of the out there!

I'm a Bella Babe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 02:49 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I will go and take a look. it is nice to have were you can get something if you dont have time to go and look in the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 04:08 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Make sure you visit the Digi forum here on Splitcoast. A poster has created a thread listing tons of sites. Also post there if you are looking for a particular image, and your fellow stampers are happy to share their thoughts.
Happy Digi Stamping!
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Thank you so much, stampers!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Buy them...for about $2 or $3
Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I really don't get the point in Digi Stamps, aren't they just better quality clip art? I personally would rather have a wood or clear block in my hand. Your cards wouldn't be as handmade if you did use them, would they?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotthebug818View Post
I really don't get the point in Digi Stamps, aren't they just better quality clip art? I personally would rather have a wood or clear block in my hand. Your cards wouldn't be as handmade if you did use them, would they?
Some people prefer stamping their images manually. Some prefer to have a printer stamp the image. To me, its the same. We stampers didn't create the art ourselves (for the most part), so to me, how we get it on the paper is irrelevant. What is done with the image after its on paper is the point of the craft - at least in my opinion. I don't think that my cards are any less "handmade" than one that is manually stamped. I colour the image, I choose my papers, I add all the embellishments, I glue it all together. Exact same process as if I used a rubber stamp instead of my printer. As far as it being clipart, I guess "technically" it could be classified at clipart. Its just that clipart seems to have a negative connotation to it. What I've read from some digi stamp artists is that they take offense to having their artwork called clipart. The art is the same as what is developed for a rubber or clear stamp. Its just not pressed into rubber or processed in photopolymer. I love using digi stamps. They're so much easier to store (I guess that's why I have hundreds of them) and a lot cheaper. I still use my "physical" stamps too and love them. There are still some die hard old-school stampers that will not accept digi stamps, but to each their own. I'm an equal opportunity crafter. Anything that helps me create what I have envisioned in my head is fair game.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelodyHimes1View Post
Do you print them off??? Or do you need a design studio or something like that?? Thanks!!
I have quite a few links on my blog to sites that provide excellent explanations about digis and how to use them. Click
PaperFriendly: Digital Stamp Basics

Go to Labels on my blog and click Digital Stamps (Free) for links to sites having free digis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotthebug818View Post
Technically, they probably are just "better quality clipart", but I'd say MUCH better quality. I myself prefer rubber, but the digis have a lot going for them - you can resize them as needed for whatever project you're doing, you can mirror them so they face the other way, I had one that was a little girl in a football jersey where I erased the number on the jersey and changed it to a number I liked better.

As far as your cards not being as handmade, check out the Hambo Hoedown blog - I challenge you to pick out the cards that are made with digi images and which are made with rubber stamps. You can't tell a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #19  
KBM
Rubber Obsessor

correct me if I am wrong, but digi stamps are at a minimum of 300dpi. anything less is clip art. anything less would look bad.

I suppose one could compare a PC to the typewriter. Some folks like their PC and some folks like their typerwriters.

as a beginner, I am still playing with both techniques. In fact, I am inclined to argue that the opportunities affrded to me by digital stamps has opened a door to an entirely new spectrum of crafting that I eschewed in the past. My sole reason for ignoring it in the past is because of the cost associated with starting a new craft. If it wasn't for generous digi stampers, I wouldn't have bothered with the traditional stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBMView Post
correct me if I am wrong, but digi stamps are at a minimum of 300dpi. anything less is clip art. anything less would look bad.

Not necessarily - depending on how large the original image is and how large you want to print it, less than 300 dpi can be just fine. As a matter of fact, some printers aren't capable of printing at that resolution.

Think of it this way - if you have an original image that was a coloring page, sized at 8x10 with resolution of 72 dpi (dots per inch) and you shrink that image down for a card to 2 x 2.5 (1/4 the size), the resolution is now 4 times as much (288 dpi). The lower resolution becomes a problem when you have a 2" square image drawn at 72 dpi and you want to enlarge it to 4" square - now you have only 36 dpi and the image is going to start looking funny - jaggedy lines. Clipart was drawn at 72 dpi back in the day because that matched the resolution of computer screens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

You all have a lot of really good info out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #22  
KBM
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Not necessarily - depending on how large the original image is and how large you want to print it, less than 300 dpi can be just fine. As a matter of fact, some printers aren't capable of printing at that resolution.

Think of it this way - if you have an original image that was a coloring page, sized at 8x10 with resolution of 72 dpi (dots per inch) and you shrink that image down for a card to 2 x 2.5 (1/4 the size), the resolution is now 4 times as much (288 dpi). The lower resolution becomes a problem when you have a 2" square image drawn at 72 dpi and you want to enlarge it to 4" square - now you have only 36 dpi and the image is going to start looking funny - jaggedy lines. Clipart was drawn at 72 dpi back in the day because that matched the resolution of computer screens.
Good info to stash in the back of my head! Thank you so much. SO the 300dpi is more of a suggestion than a true standard. The way you are explaining it, 300dpi has the most flexibility in terms of resizing. is that right??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBMView Post
Good info to stash in the back of my head! Thank you so much. SO the 300dpi is more of a suggestion than a true standard. The way you are explaining it, 300dpi has the most flexibility in terms of resizing. is that right??
Probably true If you have a piece of freebie clipart that you want to try, download it and size it to the size you want and print it out and see how it works. Once it's printed, colored and on a card, no one is going to know or care whether it's an official digital stamp or a piece of clipart.
Reply With Quote Likes