Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DGC060 - Playing with Text - 08/02/11

Hello! And welcome to our Digital Scrapbooking challenges here at SCS. I'm Nicole, your hostess, and I'm super excited to be here! It's my goal to bring you a challenge each week that will inspire you and help you get your favorite memories into your books. I try to keep things simple enough for anyone who's brand new to digi, but still have a challenge that's challenging enough to interest those of you who are veteran digi scrappers!

Here's week's challenge!

The Challenge: DGC060 - Playing with Text

Here is my layout:

"First Haircut"

- This week we will be focusing on building a special place for our journaling! That means that you must have some journaling on your page this week. Now, some of you may groan at me because you do not enjoy journaling. But remember--without journaling, you aren't tell your stories! You're just embellishing a photo. So I want you to build your layout's design around your journaling more than your photos or your clusters of elements. Start with the journaling first and go from there!

- I would also like you to pull a color from your layout for your text. You can do this with the Type tool or in the Character palette in Photoshop (just look for the colored box; double click it to open a box with an eyedropper tool!). I've used a cream color from my background paper for my journaling. But I was careful not to select a shade that was too dark or too light. I played with it until the color I selected looked legible and "right."

- Play around and use more than one font type on your page. I chose a typewriter font and a handwriting font. Maybe try using one for your journaling, one for your title and one for a date!

Get Your Gold Stars:

- Take an element you like from the kit you're working with and use it in a new way! For example, I used a page boarder as a paper lacy frame for my journaling. Think outside the box! What new thing can you do with a little imagination?

- Play with a digital stamp! I used a stamp on my page here and left it black. I could have blended it into my paper (using the Overlay or Soft Light blending modes), but I wanted it to stand out. Play with a stamp on your page to add another layer of interest to your design.

Tips & Tricks:

- Consider the size of your text! When I was new to digital design, I created a hybrid (printable) freebie. A friend printed it out and shared her picture with me. I was excited to see my work in real life... until I was mortified to discover that I had not paid attention to proper proportions and my creations where HUGE. Right there and then, I when to my crafting area and grabbed my ruler! I took it to my computer and figured out that a Zoom of 33% roughly equals an inch in real life. Now when I'm designing, scrapping and journaling, I zoom to 33% percent to see if I've got all my proportions right. Do the same for yourself and you'll never be caught off guard with text that is too tiny or too large.

- Have you ever played around with the leading or the kerning of your text? Chances are that at one time or another you've run into a font that was either spaced out too far or squished together too tightly (that's the kerning--called "tracking" in Photoshop). Or maybe as you typed your journaling and hit Return, you fond that your sentences were too close together or too far apart (that's your leading). Where do you make these changes? In Photoshop, you look at the Character menu (Window > Character). In the first section, you'll see four icons and four places to enter values. Hover over each one to read what that affect it will have on your text. Play around and see what happens! You might find that a font you liked can take on new life when you can make adjustments to it.

- For more information about typography, check out this great article here: Bright Lemon : Font Basics

- Don't even know where to begin with digi scrapping? Check out this lens on Squidoo for some tips on Getting Started with Digital Scrapbooking.

The Fine Print:

Here is all your need to know info: SBC's Information Thread

You can view all submissions for this challenge here: DGC060 Gallery

To add your page to this gallery, just add DGC060 to your keywords. Please also add SBC11AUG in the keywords. This makes it easier for us to search and find your layouts.

Please remember to come back and post a link in this thread so we won�t miss seeing your work! And be sure to leave a little love for others when they leave love for you.

Happy scrapping!

my blog | the hybrid chick
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

This is super, Nicole. Love your page, but I also like the entire challenge. I try to journal on most of my pages. I've been going through my parents' old photo albums and one thing I find disappointing is they didn't identify most of the people and places in them. There are photos that I'm sure are my dad's parents and grandparents, siblings, etc. and no explanation. My mom is still alive, but she's 91 and doesn't remember some of the people and places in her albums. It makes me realize how important identifying people and telling a story counts when other people look at my albums.

With all the work we put into our pages, traditional or digi, we all want people to know some of the who, what, where, when and why!!

Thanks so much for going into so much detail with your challenges and tips!!

I'm heading out to visit my son and his family soon, but maybe I'll work on this tonight!!

Click here to: Join us for the Scrapbook Challenges!!

Last edited by wendella247; 08-02-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #3  

Default Kerning and full justification of text in PSE

Since I work in Photoshop Elements 9 and not Photoshop, I thought I'd post a few things that might be different than Photoshop that I've learned.

-- I don't think we have much in the way of kerning in Photoshop Elements (PSE). (I use version 9.) There are a few "tricks" but I don't think we have any places we can specifically go to change spacing between letters. We can change the spacing between lines, though.

-- Also, for PSE users, if you want to fully justify your text, although there is no option on the menu, there's a work-around. (I can't understand why they don't have an option on the menu--they have left, right and center--why not full? Even MS Word has that!)

Anyway, here's how: Type your text in textbox, commit text, highlight all text and press Ctrl-Shift-J at the same time. This should fully justify your text. It doesn't always look great, so I usually have to mess around with the size of text and size of textbox.

Last edited by wendella247; 08-02-2011 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 906 Likes on 576 Posts

Here's one I made fro the answers to a questionaire

Questionaire from A friend by FMcrafter - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am pondering a list type one to reflect my son building his own computer...wanybe I'll do that and see how I do??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...I totally forgot that the digi challenges were back again! So sorry. I thought about it today on the way home from work and then checked to see if they were weekly or biweekly.

Nicole...good challenge. The lessons I've taken through Jessica Sprague almost always showcase the journaling and titles using different size and types of fonts. Certainly does add interest to the layout. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on a layout this weekend.

Your layout is beautiful and the one from FMcrafter is very nice too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #7  

Yippee!! I just finished my page, but I'll post in the a.m. It's time to get some sleep!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

This is my page for the font challenge.
Kit used: Child of Nature by Sunflowers Designs
Font: Zapfino, hand of sean, painted
Program used: My Memories Suite

I used a journaling strip (dark brown with white) as a vertical strip behind my photo for a mix up. Not really creative but it was a journaling strip originally.

Page can be found here
Love by lhansen148 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by lhansen148; 08-04-2011 at 04:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Wendy. I use My Memories Suite Program for scrapping. I find it so user friendly that anyone just opening it up can use it right away. I do use PSE 9 for extractions, photo clipping masks etc. but for the main part use the My Memories Suite. Don't know if you've ever used/seen it before. It's pretty impressive and I do enjoy using that program. PSE 9 is great but I've got a LOT to learn on it for sure. I'm just a newbie with PSE 9. On MMS I can make a word art very quickly which is fun. I can use different fonts, bevels, shadows, colors etc to create a word art. Some day I DO need to learn PSE 9! (maybe when and if I retire that would be a great project for me) LOL Thanks for the tips on the tricks of PSE 9
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #10  

I've never used MMS, but I've noticed a lot of people using it lately and sites talking about it. Years back I used to use other graphics programs, Like Picture It or Picasa, but then wanted to learn PSE since I could do everything I wanted to in one program. I mentioned the tips here because PS Elements is great but still doesn't do all that Photoshop does or in the same way. Each program is just a little different!

Last edited by wendella247; 08-04-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Challenge Entry

This is my first entry, not sure if I am doing in correctly. I believe this is the link to my page. "Auntie" by ScrappingKat - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I got to go off to get some tests done, the warrantee on my body expired....so I'll be back to see what everyone haas done.bbl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #13  

Here's my take on the challenge. It was sure fun!

--------------------------------
:p:p:p

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow!!! all the submissions are great...I had better get some more classes under my belt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Here are the pages I did for this challenge:

Zoey Lynn - left page

Zoey Lynn - right page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh...OH...Oh I want to be in this party
Attached Thumbnails
DGC060 - Playing with Text - 08/02/11-mainadfinal-small-1%5B1%5D.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my page. Have journaling and did pull color from Star. I've got 3 fonts as well as the alpha and I "cut" out the star from the brad to use it in place of the letter A. I used a digital brush to stamp around the edges again using the same color as the journaling just decreasing the opacity a bit.

Lindy Star
Reply With Quote Likes