Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEWARE: AC Moore STEALING project photos and removing watermarks!!!

It was discovered today that ACM's stole a photo from a lady that I follow and used it in their advertisement on Facebook. What makes it ever worse is they COVERED up the watermark on the original posted photo.....

Here's the link to the ad: Wall Photos | Facebook

Proof in case of removal -

This is the original blog post:
Valentine’s Cards: using creative supplies

The Button Heart card belongs to member here: VIOLET28 (I've already sent her a PM)

So WARNING: If you have a blog... BEWARE that ACM might steal your photo without your knowledge.

ETA: The admin just posted this comment:

A.C. Moore Please note that we are in no way taking credit for the work that was found on the Internet- we believe it is important to give credit where it's due- please contact [email protected] and if you'd like us to pull the post we will.

3 Hearts Photography & Design Blog - http://3heartsphoto.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Kookie Creator

that is just to sad for words

smile
Lori
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

WOW, I'm so glad I finally learned how to watermark my photos (although I see that they covered up her watermark with the other photo below). I always try to make sure that I place my watermark somewhere over my projects and not just within the photo. AC Moore should either give credit to those who made these cards or remove the photos.
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by C&SDesignsView Post
A.C. Moore Please note that we are in no way taking credit for the work that was found on the Internet- we believe it is important to give credit where it's due- please contact [email protected] and if you'd like us to pull the post we will.
Nice. They are "in no way taking credit" for this work, but they are more than happy to use it to try to sell their own product. It would appear that they knew that what they were doing wasn't kosher, since they made a point of removing the watermark from the card you linked.

Absolutely, positively unacceptable. The proper way of doing things is to ask permission to post the card first - not "oh, if you happen to catch us doing this wrong thing, we'll remove it". I smell a PR nightmare.
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
NThe proper way of doing things is to ask permission to post the card first - not "oh, if you happen to catch us doing this wrong thing, we'll remove it". I smell a PR nightmare.
Exactly... the ironic thing here is that ACM told HER to contact THEM to remove it. When in reality, they should have contacted KERRY to use her image in the first place...

No further comment has been made by ACM. I'm gonna guess that the email address provided has been bombarded with emails from angry crafters!!! I'm also sure that their customer service hotline has been ringing off the hook as well. Whomever runs the page may just be in some serious trouble. I'm sure Kerry will post any followup!!!

I also took notice that all but Kerrys (and the tree branch card as it wasn't located yet) were OLD projects posted Jan 2011 and Dec 2009. Could this have been an attempt to cover up the theft even more by thinking they were older projects, no one would figure out where to dig them up????

The crafting community just proved that we all look out for each other when we are done wrong against!!!

3 Hearts Photography & Design Blog - http://3heartsphoto.blogspot.com/
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow. That's a "we're so busted" comment that the admin added to their page. The initial comment implies that they came up with the ideas, not that they pulled them from the internet.
Rubber Obsessor

I don't live near any of these stores but I assume if you stole from them you would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law!
Pearl-ExPert

When you watermark put it in the middle of the photo. I had several photos stolen off of a blog that a friend of mine had. I had my watermark in the middle of the card so they couldn't deny it was my photo.

http://papercutsnink.blogspot.com
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I find funny (not that intellectual property theft is funny, but bear with me).

In that project with the three hearts hanging from the branch, I am 99.99999% positive that the "love you" sentiment is a stamp from Papertrey Ink's 2010 anniversary set, Botanical Silhouettes-- that backwards Y is a dead giveaway IMO. (There is a picture of the stamp set here; not sure if you have to belong to their message board to see it.)

That means ACM is trying to promote card making supplies by using pictures of projects made with items they cannot even hope to stock. Priceless.
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Here's what I find funny (not that intellectual property theft is funny, but bear with me).

In that project with the three hearts hanging from the branch, I am 99.99999% positive that the "love you" sentiment is a stamp from Papertrey Ink's 2010 anniversary set, Botanical Silhouettes-- that backwards Y is a dead giveaway IMO. (There is a picture of the stamp set here; not sure if you have to belong to their message board to see it.)

That means ACM is trying to promote card making supplies by using pictures of projects made with items they cannot even hope to stock. Priceless.

That is hilarious!...or not :(
I don't even have one of those stores near me (the last one closed several years ago) but if I did it would be enough for me to stop giving them my business and I would probably write them a letter telling them so (ha! like they would even care....but I would).
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for posting this. I sent them an email with a link to this thread.
Forum Fanatic

I think they should have credited the creators, but I don't think their original post really implied that they made them--they even ask for handmade cards to share. Since it's on Facebook, and not a paid advertisement, they may not be breaking any laws. But again, I agree that if they knew who made the cards, they should have given them credit if only for courtesy sake!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm pretty sure I've seen those mustache chocolates on a blog somewhere, too. Fairly recently. I'll have to try to track it down.
Glitter Queen

The card with the memory box branch and hearts is from the blog Popsicle Toes Card Creations (Popsicle Toes Card Creations) - under the January 4th entry. I recognized the card because it is in my favorites file!
Sheila
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post

I was thinking that SAME thing!! When did ACM start stocking paint chips!? LOL Sad...
Cardstock Collector

Good Morning, Everyone!

I'm Robin Beam, Director of Education at A.C. Moore. I've just returned from CHA and wanted to immediately touch base and provide assurances to everyone. This was a misstep that has been corrected to prevent this from happening again. Someone that that I am working with and training put the collage of images together as a form of inspiration and not to claim credit. There was no intention to remove watermarks; the collage hid the watermark.

As she had done in the past and, if you look at previous postings on our page, we do provide credit for sources of inspiration and projects. We do not seek to "steal" or take credit for other's work.

I've been in this industry for so long, also as a blogger, designer, instructor; I was Director of Education with Ranger Industries before A.C. Moore and am passionate about inspiring and empowering others and to promote people's creativity and not to call it as my own or the company's own.

I do take responsibility for this, as I am responsible for the site and welcome any questions or concerns that anyone has. Those that know me will know that my reputation speaks for itself and that I take this seriously. I also spoke personally with Kerry and she understands what took place.

Anyone is more than welcome to contact me at [email protected] and welcome you to show off your work to all of our fans and readership. I look forward to speaking or responding to anyone that has any questions.

Thank you!

Robin

Robin Beam
Director of Education
A.C. Moore
[email protected]
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Thank you for your response Robin! Now that we've heard directly from you, I will close this issue.

Thank you for providing your contact info for those concerned.