Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish-RAK Card Challenge ~~ Cards for the Troops ~~

Ladies.....

During the 4th of July Holiday Weekend, members at Wish-RAK had a Card Challenge ~~ Cards for the Troops. We had 18 card challenges and asked members to donate the cards, and if possible to make a donation towards postage for shipping. Cards were donated to Cards For Heroes!!

Card Challenges Submitted: are the number of cards submitted to the SCS gallery.
Total Cards Submitted: are the number of cards donated to Cards For Heroes.

Well, the final tally is in and I would like to shout.....

`
Wish-RAK members are the BESTest!!

Thank you soooooooo much!!

_____

FINAL TOTALS:

CHALLENGE CARDS SUBMITTED: 1,684

TOTAL CARDS SUBMITTED: 2,459

TOTAL SHIPPING DONATIONS RECEIVED: $241

`
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Hardware Hotshot

That's amazing! Good job WishRAKers That will brighten a lot of people's days!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Received 571 Likes on 458 Posts

Thanks to Mindy Young & Stamping in Kansas for all of their hard work keeping track of the totals! Mindy is your mailman still speaking to you? :mrgreen:

--Misti
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While I didn't get to participate in this event, I'm so very proud to be part of a group whose soul purpose is to give. We give when we send wishes to one another, and the giving demonstrated by these fabulous results only confirms what I already knew. Wish RAK'ers are some of the most caring and giving people I know.

Congratulations ladies on a job WELL done!

My Gallery
Chat Box Chick Jester

I am humbled by the members of Wish RAK and their unending generosity. Thank you from all of us at Cards for Heroes!!!!!
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Thanks to all of the membership that played! It's so great to have a cause to donate our cards to and to be part of a group that so generously gives to others

Love SU!? Join the Crew!
The CreativeCrew <The Gallery
CreativeCrew Play Along <The Challenges
Mad Swapper

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow that is totally amazing. What an awesome group to belong too. It makes you proud of the generousity of people. Kathy
Stampin' Fool

Great job everyone! It makes my heart happy to see these numbers and to be a part of a group like such as this. I just wish I could see the look on those troops faces when they see all those cards roll in. They are surely going to be ecstatic, and that was our ultimate goal.
Crimping Master

Great job everyone. I didn't get to participate but think it is so wonderful that so many cards were donated!
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! What a bunch of giving, and might I say TALENTED stampers!
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

WOW! This is such an uplift, even though I did not personally contribute this time. I think all of it is just fantastic!
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

And we're doing it again on Labor Day! Join the RAK group today so you can join the Wish-RAK subgroup! (I may regret that encouragement since I get to do out the next RAK membership update! :-D )

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHOOO HOOOO!!!
Great job ladies!!
Stazon Splitcoast

This is very amazing...but then so are the SCS ladies who all did this. It is so wonderful that you also got some assistance with the shipping. I have sent off 935 cards already this week and cant ship more until I sell a few more clear envelopes to pay the postage. The shipping is what kills ya.
Many blessings to all you lovely ladies.
Watercolor Wizard

I am so thrilled at the numbers. It was such a fun weekend and I am so excited to be doing it again on Labor Day Weekend. How fun!!!

Lindas Stamping Blog
Corrosive Challenge Blog DT
The Outlawz Alccohol Marker Challenge DT
Fan Club Member
Embossing Fanatic

Don't forget that Cards For Heroes has other shippers who are anxiously waiting to receive cards for their contacts overseas too. You can ship cards to your nearest shipper to save you money.
Chat Box Chick Jester

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottswifeView Post
Don't forget that Cards For Heroes has other shippers who are anxiously waiting to receive cards for their contacts overseas too. You can ship cards to your nearest shipper to save you money.
You may want to have all the facts before posting a comment like this. All Wish RAK members were thanked for their cards in PMs and highly encouraged to send cards on a regular basis to the shipper closest to them. The reason only one shipper was chosen was due to all the work involved. If you would like to be more involved with Wish RAK, please join!
Embossing Fanatic

Mindy, perhaps you should discuss this with Sandy, the President of CFH.
I just wanted to let all the wonderful cardmakers know that they can send their cards to any shipper at the CFH web site.
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Mindy, perhaps you should discuss this with Sandy, the President of CFH.
I just wanted to let all the wonderful cardmakers know that they can send their cards to any shipper at the CFH web site.
Scottswife.....

It WAS and HAS been discussed with Sandy.....AND......I believe she has an understanding of what all is involved with the process of the Card Challenges that we have at Wish-RAK. Therefore, we will always have just ONE shipper that we will deal with for each of the Wish-RAK Card Challenges ~~ Cards for the Troops.

Now, what I personally find interesting is you appear to be more interested in receiving cards as a shipper for CFH then you are in saying Congrats or a Job Well Done to the many Wish-RAK Members that made this particular Card Challenge a success. Just my opinion!!

Thank You!!
Embossing Fanatic

Audrey, I'm sorry you chose to leave out the fact that Sandy (the President of Cards for Heroes) asked you to have the cards sent to all shipper instead of just one and that she had asked all of us shippers to not have any challenges where just one shipper gets the cards because it goes against the organization's wishes.

Since I don't belong to the WRAK program I don't know the people who sent in cards but of course I'd like to say that I'm sure the troops and their families will appreciate the cards you made.

I would also like to say that my posting that you can send cards (not in your WRAK challenges) to any shipper who belongs to CFH is totally in accordance with the policies of Cards For Heroes, any shipper would welcome your cards and send them on to the troops. See our web site for the wonderful letters of thanks the soldiers have sent in. www.cardsforheroes.org

Last edited by scottswife; 08-08-2008 at 11:21 AM..
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Audrey, I'm sorry you chose to leave out the fact that Sandy (the President of Cards for Heroes) asked you to have the cards send to all shipper instead of just one and that she had asked all of us shippers to not have any challenges where just one shipper gets the cards because it goes against the organization's wishes.
That's correct, but we couldn't get all the shippers interested in keeping a tally for us, since bonus wishes are awarded for cards sent.

If the hassle continues, I can and will change our Labor Day Card Challenge to another organziation that will *accept* our donated cards without all the whining and crying that some of the shippers are causing!!

Thank You!!
Embossing Fanatic

Audrey, Sandy said she would change our software to keep track of any and all point you wanted counted for your WRAK program, you turned her down.

By the way, your cards don't go to our organization they go to the troops, Mindy and Kris just used the name of the organization in their challenge. We, the CFH organization, have not received any of the cards from your challenge. They went to Mindy and she sent them to the troops. We have no knowledge of any cards being "offered" to CFH. We are just shippers who spend the money to get those cards to the troops. In the future please check with our President if you would like to offer cards to our organization, she would be happy to tell you who to ship them to.
www.cardsforheroes.org
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Audrey, Sandy said she would change our software to keep track of any and all point you wanted counted for your WRAK program, you turned her down.

By the way, your cards don't go to our organization they go to the troops, Mindy and Kris just used the name of the organization in their challenge. We, the CFH organization, have not received any of the cards from your challenge. They went to Mindy and she sent them to the troops. We have no knowledge of any cards being "offered" to CFH. We are just shippers who spend the money to get those cards to the troops. In the future please check with our President if you would like to offer cards to our organization, she would be happy to tell you who to ship them to.
www.cardsforheroes.org

Sweetie....

There are two members of Wish-RAK who ARE shippers for Cards for Heroes, and in my opinion.....members or any individual who wants to donate cards to Cards for Heroes, can and should have the *freedom* to donate to any shipper of Cards for Heroes. Wish-RAK opted to send to ONE shipper. Done Deal!! Thank You very much!!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say I am truely disappointed in the representation for CHF on this thread. It clearly states on the CFH site under the shippers if you would like to save money you can send to the shipper close to you otherwise you may choose to send directly to any of the shippers. I have gotten to know these 3 ladies through this site and I know first hand how hard they have worked to get the word out about CFH, how they have all volunteered countless hours for this organization and the loyalty they have for our troops. I am having a very difficult time understanding what difference it makes as to whom the members of the wish rak choose to send these cards to, as it states on the site, you can choose to send to any address. It is the expense of the members to get the cards to the shippers and we are choosing to send to Kris and Mindy and I have also chosen to send cards to Diane as well. My understanding is once the shippers receive the cards, it is at their expense to get the cards to the troops, the wish rak membership was not required to send a donation to the shippers, it was a choice we were given. And as you can see, many members chose to help these ladies out with that expense.
It is really too bad and disappointing the organization and its representation are not truly happy and thankful for what these ladies have poured their hearts into for our troops, which is what this is all about, our troops. The card makers are doing this for, our troops, which is also what these 3 ladies are also doing it for, they are not looking for recognition or praise in any way, their objective is for the troops. Period.
If this is the attitude of the CFH Organization that is being represented on this thread is what the organization is really about, I will cease sending cards to this organization and choose to send to another. This is about the troops, not the shippers or the president. And I can assure you, many others will follow.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Stampin' Fool

I am in total agreement Lori.

Because I am subscribed to the thread, I was getting all the e-mails and was actually wondering where the concern was coming from with CFH with regard to whom we chose to ship to. I totally understood WRAK's need to pick one shipper, it made things easier (or so it seemed).

Again this was about getting the cards to the troops, it didn't matter how they got there as long as they got there.
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 610 Likes on 430 Posts

Well said Julie! I have sent to Mindy and I have given some to a group in town called Local Heroes. This group sends care packages to local residents serving overseas.

Mindy took on a huge job for us and for the troops. She deserves thanks! She is so great and has been so nice every time I have been able to send cards her way.
Embossing Fanatic

Please send all questions about Cards For Heroes to Sandy Allnock, the president of the organization. She can be reached from our web site at
www.cardsforheroes.org She would be more than happy to answer any questions any cardmakers have in regard to this situation.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As suggested by scottswife, I looked over the entire website one final time. From what I can find, you can choose to send cards to whom ever you choose, you can choose to send donations (listed under sponsor a shipment) as the shippers are shipping these cards to the troops at their own expense. And you can choose to send directly to a service member. According to the website, I see no reason why this is an issue.
There are a lot of choices in this and my choice is I will no longer support CFH, I will support our troops, Mindy, Diane and Kris.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Lori! In my opinion CFH is being poorly represented here and if their president had a problem, it should have been handled privately - not aired here like dirty laundry.

To stick with my laundry analogy, it's a shame that something that made so many of us feel good, had to get stained.
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsclark2001View Post
I agree with Lori! In my opinion CFH is being poorly represented here and if their president had a problem, it should have been handled privately - not aired here like dirty laundry.

To stick with my laundry analogy, it's a shame that something that made so many of us feel good, had to get stained.
Please still feel good about the end result, which is cards for the troops. That is the ultimate goal - giving them a special way to send a message back home.
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Please send all questions about Cards For Heroes to Sandy Allnock, the president of the organization. She can be reached from our web site at
www.cardsforheroes.org She would be more than happy to answer any questions any cardmakers have in regard to this situation.

scottswife - may I ask who you are and where you're from? At least give me a first name so that I may know who I am addressing!

As one of the hostess of a challenge to help get birthday cards to the troops to send home to their kids I must say that I don't really care who gets the cards as long as they get overseas to the troops!!! We can send them to Cards For Troops, Any Solider, or the Commander In Chief himself for all I care!!!

The angst that you've cause by casting shadows onto a great, well choreographed effort is very upsetting! I sat and produced projects that I was proud to say "I did this to help out in my own small way." I trust Mindy and Kris to get those cards to the troops and that's all I care about! Plus I'll bet you my entire craft room that that is all the troops care about as well! You've repeatedly posted statements that IMHO are undermining this effort and you seem to be taking some kind of satisfaction in taking the pride out of this very worthwhile effort

If you aren't a WishRak member it's sad that you feel you have the right to question the efforts of people you don't know.

Love SU!? Join the Crew!
The CreativeCrew <The Gallery
CreativeCrew Play Along <The Challenges
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattybView Post
...I trust Mindy and Kris to get those cards to the troops and that's all I care about! Plus I'll bet you my entire craft room that that is all the troops care about as well!
Ditto! And add Diane S (DLS881) to that list. And I'll continue to do so and certainly won't be promoting CFH anymore.
Wish-RAK Coordinator

Quote:

I have a few questions. How would it save money if we mailed in a flat rate box? It's the same price wherever you ship to. Are the shippers on a quota to ship cards out? Do they get paid for shipping the cards out? Is it a competition for all shippers to see who can send the most cards out that people have sent them? If No is the answer to all these questions, then why can't we ship to whomever we want?

We worked hard on our cards for the week-end, PLUS, went through our stashes to send cards for the troops. I am proud to be a mamber of the Wish-RAK group because they are the BEST! Besides, the cards are for the troops and it would have been nice if you did say GOOD JOB LADIES! I'M PROUD OF YOU AND THANK-YOU FOR WHAT YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED!!!
Chat Box Chicks Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattybView Post
scottswife - may I ask who you are and where you're from? At least give me a first name so that I may know who I am addressing!

As one of the hostess of a challenge to help get birthday cards to the troops to send home to their kids I must say that I don't really care who gets the cards as long as they get overseas to the troops!!! We can send them to Cards For Troops, Any Solider, or the Commander In Chief himself for all I care!!!

The angst that you've cause by casting shadows onto a great, well choreographed effort is very upsetting! I sat and produced projects that I was proud to say "I did this to help out in my own small way." I trust Mindy and Kris to get those cards to the troops and that's all I care about! Plus I'll bet you my entire craft room that that is all the troops care about as well! You've repeatedly posted statements that IMHO are undermining this effort and you seem to be taking some kind of satisfaction in taking the pride out of this very worthwhile effort

If you aren't a WishRak member it's sad that you feel you have the right to question the efforts of people you don't know.
WHAT SHE SAID!!!:mrgreen:
Stazon Splitcoast

OH MY WORD!!! I think we should just LIST cards for our Troops and leave this lady and her president and CFH off our challenges and then she has no say as to WHAT WE DO OR WHERE WE SEND OUR CARDS!!! Our members did a great job and worked hard and our coordinators put in a lot of time and effort and did a wonderful job to see that the cards were mailed out! What matters here? All that matters is the troops get the cards and feel good about having them and being able to keep in contact with their families!
Done Deal! We're not playing Deal or No Deal here! Lady YOU lose!
Compulsive Stamper

Hey everyone, my ears were burning (and my email, lol) and I wanted to say hello and thanks from our heroes for the cards you generated in the challenge.

It looks like there's been some misunderstanding in words shared on this thread. I can easily see that people might get the wrong impression from what's been typed. I also see quite a bit of hurt coming through beyond what's spoken here publicly, so I'm guessing some information or unkind words shared in PMs must have generated extra angst as well. I wish I knew those concerns so as to address them, and I'm sorry my organization is associated with your hurt feelings. Perhaps a little explanation will help.

As Cards for Heroes has been growing, we've been trying to get the word out about sending cards to the closest shipper, sharing more of the load among all those who do this out of love of our troops and often at our own financial expense. When all the cards end up in one location, other waiting hero requests from soldiers, airmen, and marines go unfilled. I'm not sure how many people know this, but each shipper supports many units - so if all cards end up in my hands, I send them to all my contacts, and another shipper's contacts would go without, and vice versa. It's not any kind of competition for cards at all, we're just trying to respond as best we can to all the requests we get, because we know that if they've contacted us about getting more, their unit really would like to use them, and it breaks our hearts not to be able to fill such a simple need.

Donors are absolutely able to send cards to whomever they wish---but I've asked our shippers as they represent us that on public challenges. cards be allowed to go to any shipper, so we can support more of the units we have requests from. I can see that it won't work for your group to do that, and that's fine with me - anyone from your group can easily send cards to an address from anysoldier.com without going through CFH at all. As a matter of fact, we'd welcome having other individuals sending cards too....that was my hope when first launching the CFH site, that more people will see how fun it is and be inspired to support units of their own, and it HAS been happening. Several bloggers now collect cards from their readers to send to units they support, and we encourage more people to do this!

Anyway - I'm sorry that the misunderstandings came about, and hope you'll reconsider supporting the men and women we send our packages to, but I understand if you choose not to. Water's already under the bridge, I get that. I definitely encourage you to find another way to support our deserving heroes, especially with your wonderful creativity. These cards mean so very much to each one of our deployed service members...God bless our heroes!

PS - I'm sorry I'm unable to get into an extended chat on this thread, I'm super busy for the next 2 weeks solid and I don't visit this site for lack of time - please don't feel slighted if I don't reply to your replies to my post. But I wish you all well! Happy stamping!
Stazon Splitcoast

I believe that's Sandy from Cards for Heroes just above me. Hi, Sandy, and thank you for the wonderful work you and your volunteers have done. Thanks also to the Wish RAK members who've put a lot of effort into stamping cards for our Heroes! Y'all are doing an amazing thing, and I know your work is very much appreciated!

I am going to go ahead and close this thread to further discussion, and ask that if you have any questions about Cards for Heroes, check out their website, and talk to Sandy directly via email or PM. I'm sure she'll be happy to help you!