Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #321  
Kookie Creator

Received 281 Likes on 101 Posts
Thumbs up New Colors--Update in August

I got over the color change. I dusted myself off. I ordered what I couldn't live without--it took 2 months to get here but I'm calm now. SU was sorry it took 2 months so they sent me a free stamp set. I think my demo called them and gave them a piece of her mind (plus mine!) too. All is well. And I waited for the new colors to become available . . .

Now that I have 8 of the new colors, I made swatch comparisons with in colors from the past and retiring colors. Here are my findings . . .

Yellows: Yoyo yellow is HARSH (gone). Nothing in nature is truly this bright. I rarely used it for scrapbooking. I more often reach for So Saffron (stays). Daffodil Delight looks just like So Saffron to me. I still love summer sun (gone).

Peaches: I will always love apricot appeal (gone). Nothing new is like it. I love peach parfait--but it is REALLY close to pumpkin pie.

Light pinks: blushing bride is too lavender for me. I like pink pirouette and pretty in pink (they are close but different enough for me).

Dark Pinks: Cameo coral was a go-to scrapbook color for me (gone). Sniff! Pixie pink was a favorite girl bday card color (gone). Sniff! I do like Melon Mambo (a darker version of Pink Passion). Regal Rose staying is good--it's a nice soft darker pink.

Deep Reds: The jury is out about cherry cobbler. I still love Cranberry Crisp (they are close). Bravo Burgundy is a must for more vintage Christmas stuff.

Purplish Reds: Rose red as a subtle? I don't get that. I loved Purely Pomegranate. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE rich razzleberry.

Red Reds: I can't wait to do Christmas with Poppy parade. I'm sad about ruby red--that was a great scrappin' color. Jury is out about Riding Hood Red.

Rust: Really rust gone!?? sniff! Cajun craze is just a lighter really rust.

Oranges: Why why why not bring back groovy guava????? It was FABULOUS! Only orange is just not needed anymore--very true. Pumpkin Pie is the go-to orange now. I do like Tangerine Tango--cross between rust and pumpkin.

Blues: I love Marina Mist and Pacific Point--truly. But if I'm really honest for scrappin' Bordering Blue does go with beach and clouds and scenery--truly. It was a go-to scrappin' color. Brilliant Blue--not so much. I stocked up on Cool Caribbean--I am set for life because that color is ESSENTIAL. Glad Bashful Blue is staying. I have my Not Quite Navy. I'm good.

In all, I'm a happy scrapper.

Kirsten
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #322  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KgeansView Post
I got over the color change. I dusted myself off. I ordered what I couldn't live without--it took 2 months to get here but I'm calm now. SU was sorry it took 2 months so they sent me a free stamp set. I think my demo called them and gave them a piece of her mind (plus mine!) too. All is well. And I waited for the new colors to become available . . .

Now that I have 8 of the new colors, I made swatch comparisons with in colors from the past and retiring colors. Here are my findings . . .

Yellows: Yoyo yellow is HARSH (gone). Nothing in nature is truly this bright. I rarely used it for scrapbooking. I more often reach for So Saffron (stays). Daffodil Delight looks just like So Saffron to me. I still love summer sun (gone).

Peaches: I will always love apricot appeal (gone). Nothing new is like it. I love peach parfait--but it is REALLY close to pumpkin pie.

Light pinks: blushing bride is too lavender for me. I like pink pirouette and pretty in pink (they are close but different enough for me).

Dark Pinks: Cameo coral was a go-to scrapbook color for me (gone). Sniff! Pixie pink was a favorite girl bday card color (gone). Sniff! I do like Melon Mambo (a darker version of Pink Passion). Regal Rose staying is good--it's a nice soft darker pink.

Deep Reds: The jury is out about cherry cobbler. I still love Cranberry Crisp (they are close). Bravo Burgundy is a must for more vintage Christmas stuff.

Purplish Reds: Rose red as a subtle? I don't get that. I loved Purely Pomegranate. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE rich razzleberry.

Red Reds: I can't wait to do Christmas with Poppy parade. I'm sad about ruby red--that was a great scrappin' color. Jury is out about Riding Hood Red.

Rust: Really rust gone!?? sniff! Cajun craze is just a lighter really rust.

Oranges: Why why why not bring back groovy guava????? It was FABULOUS! Only orange is just not needed anymore--very true. Pumpkin Pie is the go-to orange now. I do like Tangerine Tango--cross between rust and pumpkin.

Blues: I love Marina Mist and Pacific Point--truly. But if I'm really honest for scrappin' Bordering Blue does go with beach and clouds and scenery--truly. It was a go-to scrappin' color. Brilliant Blue--not so much. I stocked up on Cool Caribbean--I am set for life because that color is ESSENTIAL. Glad Bashful Blue is staying. I have my Not Quite Navy. I'm good.

In all, I'm a happy scrapper.

Kirsten
Kirsten,

I'm with you on dusting myself off and moving on. I had some oh no moments when I realized that I was losing LOTS of paper, ink and markers, but I have learned from this. I will not feel I have to have every color. So, it's a learning experience and I have lots of sheets of retired color paper to use for projects when I need cardstock and it doesn't matter what color it is.

Thanks for the breakdown on the colors.

After studying, looking, studying and looking, I have decided that the colors I will add are concord crush--love that deep, rich purple; poppy parade-it will be a great color for Christmas and Valentine's Day; Tangerine Tango-never bought it when it was an in-color and I think it will be great for Halloween and some Fall projects; Pacific Point-I'm a sucker for blue and I love that shade; Pink Pirouette-I like the softness of this pink and it will be great for Valentine's Day and other Spring projects; Cajun Craze-great for Fall and as you said a good substitute for rust. Marina Mist is a strong maybe. I will need to look at it at my demo's house and put it up against some other colors to make a final decision. Sheesh--that's six for sures and one maybe. Guess I don't have as much willpower as I first thought. :o

At first I thought I had to have riding hood red and cherry cobbler but now I am not so sure. Will have to see some projects made with those colors to made a final decision,but I definitely don't need both of them. I was leaning towards Daffodil Delight, but after you mentioned that it is very similar to so saffron I'm not as sure. Guess I need to see the two colors side by side.

I guess most of us just had to move beyond the shock of the change, me included.

Thanks for sharing.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #323  
Pearl-ExPert

I am grateful that I am not a demo as I would have been livid with the decision. As it is, I have to really reign in my spending and what I can live without. For some of the new colors I will just purchase a Marker....Early Espresso, Dusty Durango and Marina Mist. I will no longer buy full packs of CS, only assorted packs....unless I am need a huge quantity for Christmas Cards.

I think that the company has to do this to keep things fresh and interesting or the business dies. And in this economy, it is far too important for survival.

Just my 2 cents.....sorry if this has already been discussed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #324  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
I am grateful that I am not a demo as I would have been livid with the decision. As it is, I have to really reign in my spending and what I can live without. For some of the new colors I will just purchase a Marker....Early Espresso, Dusty Durango and Marina Mist. I will no longer buy full packs of CS, only assorted packs....unless I am need a huge quantity for Christmas Cards.

I think that the company has to do this to keep things fresh and interesting or the business dies. And in this economy, it is far too important for survival.

Just my 2 cents.....sorry if this has already been discussed.
Just a heads up, dusty durango is NOT a returning color (although I really liked it for fall themed cards, kind of wish it was around!)! Just wanted to clarify. The closest new color I can think of is cajun craze (which I didn't like to start with but now HAVE to have it for fall of course:-). And yes, you NEED marina mist, I love that color!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #325  
Matboard Maniac

I agree! At first I was pretty shocked but now I've gotten over it and am pretty stoked about some of the new colors! Hello Baja Breeze and Early Espresso The thing is that if Stampin' Up! didn't change their colors for 10 years everyone would be complaining that the company was stale and not with the times. Companies need to move forward to keep their business viable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 04:47 AM   #326  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Just a heads up, dusty durango is NOT a returning color (although I really liked it for fall themed cards, kind of wish it was around!)! Just wanted to clarify. The closest new color I can think of is cajun craze (which I didn't like to start with but now HAVE to have it for fall of course:-). And yes, you NEED marina mist, I love that color!
Oh heck, see I am all confused.....I meant Tangerine Tango. But, I really wish Dusty Durango had stayed.....and Groovy Guava too. I will try to get all the other colors eventually but, probably not the In-Colors this time around as there are a bunch of others I want first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 AM   #327  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
Oh heck, see I am all confused.....I meant Tangerine Tango. But, I really wish Dusty Durango had stayed.....and Groovy Guava too. I will try to get all the other colors eventually but, probably not the In-Colors this time around as there are a bunch of others I want first.
It happens...confused is kind of a constant state of mind for me:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #328  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by needtime2scrapsoonView Post
I agree! At first I was pretty shocked but now I've gotten over it and am pretty stoked about some of the new colors! Hello Baja Breeze and Early Espresso The thing is that if Stampin' Up! didn't change their colors for 10 years everyone would be complaining that the company was stale and not with the times. Companies need to move forward to keep their business viable.
I agree with you totallly on those colors and the business. Early Espresso is on the list for September as I want to use it in my Christmas cards that are falling behind in getting finished. I actually have all but the Marina Mist in the Subtles collection and since that looks like a winter color, that will be on the list for October!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 AM   #329  
Pearl-ExPert

I think I am going to have to post some items for sale.....just too much stuff. Get rid of the stamp pads, paper and some stamp sets to make way for new stuff I really want. Though, I don't know about you, but, if I get rid of them will I miss them so much that I have to get them back? Guess that is why I am hesitant to sell off retired items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #330  
Embossing Fanatic

I know what you mean about having too much stuff. I went to my SU card class last night and saw my demos new Christmas mini. It's a thick booklet and I love almost everything in it.

I don't plan to get rid of any of my old stash. I wonder if some of the retired colors will come back in like Wild Wasabi, River Rock did. I know my demo was saying she was sorry she got rid of it all as she has to buy it all again.

I may have to pack up some of my stamps sets and put them in boxes somewhere else in the house but I'm definately keeping them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #331  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by katieladyView Post
I know what you mean about having too much stuff. I went to my SU card class last night and saw my demos new Christmas mini. It's a thick booklet and I love almost everything in it.

I don't plan to get rid of any of my old stash. I wonder if some of the retired colors will come back in like Wild Wasabi, River Rock did. I know my demo was saying she was sorry she got rid of it all as she has to buy it all again.

I may have to pack up some of my stamps sets and put them in boxes somewhere else in the house but I'm definately keeping them.
I know that my Demo said she got word from SU to keep those retiring colors....Baja Breeze, Tangerine Tango, etc., because something big was coming. It definately was big. She shared that info with me and I am glad that I did! Big time bummer for your Demo ;-<

River Rock and Baja Breeze are two of my Favorites!
Reply With Quote Likes