Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette SD and Accessory Bundles at scrapbooksteals.com

The irony is that I just bought a Silhouette SD this morning from Overstock.com. But, ScrapbookSteals.com™ ~ Best deals on scrapbook supplies, kits, paper, ribbons and albums with a daily dose of scrapbooking ideas. has a great deal on the machine ($179 plus shipping) and accessory bundles including a rhinestones kit, heat transfer kit, and a kit containing some tools and vinyl.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Glitter Queen

In need of help. I have been looking at the silhouette for over a year but have not heard any chatter about it. Do you like it or not?
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlerontheroofView Post
The irony is that I just bought a Silhouette SD this morning from Overstock.com. But, ScrapbookSteals.com� ~ Best deals on scrapbook supplies, kits, paper, ribbons and albums with a daily dose of scrapbooking ideas. has a great deal on the machine ($179 plus shipping) and accessory bundles including a rhinestones kit, heat transfer kit, and a kit containing some tools and vinyl.
I bought last week from Overstock and it was cheaper this week :(, but not as cheap as the price you listed. Wonder how much Canadian that would be. Someone from Overstock contacted me well replied to a twitter comment I made, so see what happens. I am excited to get mine, should be next week or so, longer shipping time to Canada.
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monette Van DameView Post
In need of help. I have been looking at the silhouette for over a year but have not heard any chatter about it. Do you like it or not?
I have one. I've had it for 3 years now. I really find it easy to use. I like being able to buy just the designs I actually need and to be able to create files as well.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Matboard Maniac

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I can tell you why I chose it instead of the Cricut Expression.

After reading some posts in the Tools forum (just search for Silhouette), I really started to lean toward it. There was one post that showed the difference in how cleanly the two machines each cut really swayed me. The Silhouette did a MUCH better job with the cut.

I like the fact that I use any font on my computer with the Silhouette without having to shell out another $60+ for SCAL or Make the Cut. I like that I can buy shapes piecemeal from their online store instead of having to purchase a cartridge that might have 5 shapes I actually like. You can download their software before buying the machine so you can actually see how it works and browse the online store. I did that because I wanted to make sure it wasn't full of cheesey (to me) designs. There are some AMAZING files available.

There are a few things that I'm not sure if I'll be happy with -- the Silhouette won't cut chipboard or thicker materials like felt. Some people say it will cut thin fabric that's been stabalized with fusible webbing. It also says that it won't cut heavier cardstock, so I guess cutting my PTI is out. I have a stash of SU, Bazzil, and DCWV, so I should b okay there. And, the Silhouette can only cut 9" wide (by 39" long). I do scrapbook, but do I really need a 12x12 graphic?

Anyway, that's my rationale for why I chose the Silhouette over a Cricut. :-)
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the original not the SD model and I LOVE IT!!!
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonwoldView Post
I bought last week from Overstock and it was cheaper this week :(, but not as cheap as the price you listed. Wonder how much Canadian that would be. Someone from Overstock contacted me well replied to a twitter comment I made, so see what happens. I am excited to get mine, should be next week or so, longer shipping time to Canada.
an update on this!
I posted or twittered something about the price change. I get a twitter message from Overstock.com to send them a twitter message.
Ends up they are crediting me the difference. I think that is awesome customer service:-D
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
I have one. I've had it for 3 years now. I really find it easy to use. I like being able to buy just the designs I actually need and to be able to create files as well.
Also, mine is the original.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Cardstock Collector

Default Great machine!

I also have had the original Silhouette machine for several years and can't say enough positive things about it. There are thousands of wonderful designs that are very reasonably priced. The support team is awesome!!!! If you ever need to contact them, they are patient, knowledgeable, and conscientious - free support always. I still discover new things this amazing machine can do. I've never owned a different brand but I do absolutely LOVE my Silhouette!!!
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love my Silhouette too. I have a lot of die cutter's. The Silhouette has become one of my favorites. It's growing on me more & more every day.

I agree with the other OP's you don't have to shell out extra money for software.

Print & Cut. Nothing beats that thee registration mark. I always get dot on Print & Cuts with no errors.

You can use SD cards to store your files. So you can make your own "cartridges" arranged how you want them. For example you can have a SD card full of animals, another full of titles, etc...

You can take a small wallet full of SD cards and your Silhouette to crops. Your taking your designs that you made. That is pretty cool. ;)

My very favorite next to Print & Cut. I can cut using Inkscape, Corel Draw or Illustrator. I don't have to use a special software to cut.

Cons of the machine:

It is the lightest pressure machine on the market. So, your not going to be able to cut chipboard or materials heavier than chipboard. The Silhouette does cut Bazzill.

You are limited to 8.5 x 11. That does not bother me at all. I have a Gazelle for that purpose.

I hope that helps.

Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I love my Silhouette too. I have a lot of die cutter's. The Silhouette has become one of my favorites. It's growing on me more & more every day.

I agree with the other OP's you don't have to shell out extra money for software.

Print & Cut. Nothing beats that thee registration mark. I always get dot on Print & Cuts with no errors.

You can use SD cards to store your files. So you can make your own "cartridges" arranged how you want them. For example you can have a SD card full of animals, another full of titles, etc...

You can take a small wallet full of SD cards and your Silhouette to crops. Your taking your designs that you made. That is pretty cool. ;)

My very favorite next to Print & Cut. I can cut using Inkscape, Corel Draw or Illustrator. I don't have to use a special software to cut.

Cons of the machine:

It is the lightest pressure machine on the market. So, your not going to be able to cut chipboard or materials heavier than chipboard. The Silhouette does cut Bazzill.

You are limited to 8.5 x 11. That does not bother me at all. I have a Gazelle for that purpose.

I hope that helps.
Ditto everything you said. Plus the new software is awesome. BUT you can cut things that are longer than 11 inches. Simply change the paper size setting. I think you can go up to 24 inches. I bought a Cricut mat and trimmed it down to fit into the machine--there are several tutorials on youtube that show how to do this.

I purchased mine from Overstock last year and paid $150 with a coupon.

I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare,
.......and I dare a little more as I grow older.
-Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)
Polyshrink Goddess

mine arrived today, but haven't had the chance to try it out yet
Matboard Maniac

Dragonwold -- once you try it, you'll be in love! I finally got some time on Sunday to play with mine and I'm over the moon happy. I could spend hours browsing the designs online, there are some amazing ones out there!
Polyshrink Goddess

What are some of the sites that have designs besides Silhouette home store? Are there any that offer free. I mean .99 is not bad but free is even better lol
Glitter Guru

Also watch the Silhouette America store for specials, they often run designs for less that .99.

― Spider Robinson
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonwoldView Post
What are some of the sites that have designs besides Silhouette home store? Are there any that offer free. I mean .99 is not bad but free is even better lol
Here's some sites to get you started:

CRAFTY, le Craft Robo - Home
EINNEJ: Free GSD Files

Also type in free GSD files in Google. Don't forget to check out all the Wishblade and Silhouette Yahoo Groups for free files.

If you cut from Inkscape you can download all the beautiful SVG files that are out there in cyberspace. You can also convert SVG files to cut within the Silhouette software. Type in SVG to GSD tutorials in Google. You will get a lot of hits.

Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks DeeAnn, I will be doing some browsing hopefully tonight although I should be making Christmas card lol