Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebiscuitscrapsView Post
Well said, Doreen.
Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ty Doreen, your three cents and I'll raise you three cents. PC would have been all the better to have embraced softwear that helped it's machine stand out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Just one more cent. I can't think of any copycat machines on the market. Desktop Plotters have been around for at least two decades. ProvoCraft found a way to put an affordable machine on the mass market. Not even five years ago desktop plotters were horribly expensive. Who in here paid $500 for a Wishblade back in the day?

I wasn't sure if that was what you meant. I am not flaming, I promise. There are really no copycat cutters on the market. All my cutters do something different than the other including the Cricut.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #44  
Cardstock Collector

I think this is an interesting article and a good read...
Tabberone's Hall of Shame - Craft Sites - Cricut

PC did not "win" the suit. MTC and PC agreed on terms before going to court. MTC has not stated yet why they settled, for all we know they may not have been able to afford the lawyers fees and such involved in such a suit. I have not seen the settlement or if MTC agreed to any wrongdoing. I also am not clear on just the 600 copies of a certain version will get pulled but not all the others.

From what I understand SCAL is a different issue. I am not sure they could or would want to incur the cost of litigation. After all, how deep are the pockets of PC compared to SCAL...

I have a cricut and very few carts. MTC and SCAL built a better program and gave us crafters the freedom to do what we like to do...create...Because PC engineered the "machine" we use does not give them the right to tell us how we can use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

The Cricut has always been linked to it's cartridges, always. So if someone bought a Cricut they knew that going in. If they bought one of the software products that worked with the Cricut BEFORE they bought their Cricut, did they email the company to find out if they were working with PC's permission? To me it's the responsibility of the consumer to know what they are buying into.

I saw the Cricut and while the 'idea' of it appealed to me, being locked into buying cartridges did not. So I did my research and got a different cutter, one that would work with my computer and allow me the freedom to do what I wanted with it.

I've heard the 'well the others are so much more expensive' comment from several people. The cost of the Cricut, plus the cost of cartridges for everything one might need/want (even on sale), far exceeds the one time cost of the other machines. I can go online and get the cutting file I need from any number of sources more often than not for free. There are so many wonderful and talented designers out there that will create anything you need most often for free, sometimes for a couple of dollars.

Now could PC have handled it all differently of course! They could have designed a software that did what people were asking for, however in doing so they would have to tie those cartridges in some how because those are their money makers. Could they have tried to work out an agreement with the software designers, again of course but what happens to the designers at that point? Do they have to charge more for their programs so they can give a percentage to PC?? Change the code so it only works with Cricut? Limit their creativity and tie it into those cartridges?

I love my cuttlebug folders lol, I won't be giving those up but if anyone has any they want to sell let me know I'm in the market for that lace tree ;) Last time I checked ebay it was selling for $23!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #46  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomView Post

PC did not "win" the suit. MTC and PC agreed on terms before going to court. MTC has not stated yet why they settled, for all we know they may not have been able to afford the lawyers fees and such involved in such a suit. I have not seen the settlement or if MTC agreed to any wrongdoing. I also am not clear on just the 600 copies of a certain version will get pulled but not all the others.

From what I understand SCAL is a different issue. I am not sure they could or would want to incur the cost of litigation. After all, how deep are the pockets of PC compared to SCAL...
I have a cricut and very few carts. MTC and SCAL built a better program and gave us crafters the freedom to do what we like to do...create...Because PC engineered the "machine" we use does not give them the right to tell us how we can use it.
If anyone has not read the above "Tabberone's Hall of Shame", they should. Thanks for sharing this enlightening fact. It is a very good article.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by angie1224View Post
The Cricut has always been linked to it's cartridges, always. So if someone bought a Cricut they knew that going in. If they bought one of the software products that worked with the Cricut BEFORE they bought their Cricut, did they email the company to find out if they were working with PC's permission? To me it's the responsibility of the consumer to know what they are buying into.
I don't know what kind of computer you have, but let's just say it's a Dell. Do you call "Dell" each time you buy a piece of software to put on it?

WHY did PC place a non proprietary connection in the back of the Cricut if they minded that their products be used with 3rd party products.

Why did PC design an embossing plate specifically for YOU to use other manufacturers products in the Cuttlebug? It goes two ways.

They just went the wrong direction with this lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I don't know what kind of computer you have, but let's just say it's a Dell. Do you call "Dell" each time you buy a piece of software to put on it?

WHY did PC place a non proprietary connection in the back of the Cricut if they minded that their products be used with 3rd party products.

Why did PC design an embossing plate specifically for YOU to use other manufacturers products in the Cuttlebug? It goes two ways.

Well I call HP every single time I want to add new software on to our new laptop! I'm not supposed to do that? No wonder those people get irritated and say "Lady we don't CARE what you do with the laptop. You own it." (Ok I'm being sarcastic here, duh like ya'll couldn't tell).

Let me just say this: I held off buying a Cricut for a few years. Then I did. But I bought it because I knew there was a way to hook it into the computer. And if they didn't want me to do that then they shouldn't have given me an option.

Frankly this irritates me to no end. MTC settled. I just read that SCAL has also settled. There is a third company..Fairy something...and I'm sure they're next on the chopping block.

But it will be a cold day in Poughkeepsie before some company tells me what I can do with a machine I have purchased, have in my home and use for my own personal enjoyment. Well they just sucked that enjoyment right on out of me now didn't they? And it will be a cold day in Macedonia before I purchase one more PC item. I was going to get a new Cuttlebug, but that Vagabond is looking a lot better to me and so is the Grand Calibur.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomView Post
Excellent link for the legal-types. It takes emotion out of it and we can see where PC has been heavy handed. I liken this situation to me buying a car and then modifying the car, except in this case the Cricut was not modified in any way. If I buy a Honda and want to put an aftermarket muffler on it, Honda can't do a darn thing about it. What I do with my product (within reason), is my business once I buy it. That's what it boils down to in my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
Frankly this irritates me to no end. MTC settled. I just read that SCAL has also settled. There is a third company..Fairy something...and I'm sure they're next on the chopping block.
Can you point me to a link where it says SCAL has settled. This is the first I'm hearing of this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty_S_KView Post
Do not flame me.

Companies (this includes medical, Disney, artist, writers, movie makers, car makers, etc) spend much money in the research of their products. This is for safety issues, (for us and the workers), quality issues, appearance, etc. In order to protect THEIR investment, the companies are allowed to copy write, patent, etc. their product. This insures that the item in question, including meds, medical items, movies, plays, our other toys, etc. are up to the standards that the original company set. The later companies that copy the item, (this includes Sure Cut a Lot & Make the Cut) MAY make a product that interferes with the workings of THE machine. If THE machine brakes due to being incompatible with the program that was downloaded to THE machine, the owner will go after Provcraft, not Sure Cut a Lot or Make the Cut, to fix or replace THE machine. These company have spent nothing on employees, research, safety issues, quality, etc.

If Provcraft loses, we lose. Copycat machines will come on the market that will not be up to Provcraft�s standards. Other companies will lose. It will spread like a spider web. Think of all the movies that boat legers copy and sell as the original, meds that we are told are like the original, books, etc.

Maybe you enjoy seeing Mickey smoking or Sleeping Beauty doing the act, but Disney does not and his creations are protected. Why do we flame other companies for doing the same thing?

Yes this is apples to oranges, but it is the same thing. Think of the spider web effect.
Betty
I totally agree with you Betty. These other companies do not have the right to create programs that are to be used with Provo Craft's machines. They certainly have the right to create programs to work on their own machines (which they have not developed). Sorry ladies, but I tend to side with Provo Craft on this one. Maybe I feel so strongly about this because my husband too does have a patent on an item, and we would do the very same lawsuit if someone infringed on our patent.

And for the gal that stated that carts are around $80 -- I have never paid more than $25 for one. And I have paid around $15 for a good majority of mine. You just have to look for the right places to purchase and I never buy when they are brand new.

Now to sit back and wait for "it" to hit the fan.
2011 pages Jan 5/10; Feb 4/10; Mar 16/10; Apr 31/10; May 29/10; JUN 15/10; YTD 100/120
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm HookedView Post
I totally agree with you Betty. These other companies do not have the right to create programs that are to be used with Provo Craft's machines. They certainly have the right to create programs to work on their own machines (which they have not developed). Sorry ladies, but I tend to side with Provo Craft on this one. Maybe I feel so strongly about this because my husband too does have a patent on an item, and we would do the very same lawsuit if someone infringed on our patent.

And for the gal that stated that carts are around $80 -- I have never paid more than $25 for one. And I have paid around $15 for a good majority of mine. You just have to look for the right places to purchase and I never buy when they are brand new.

Now to sit back and wait for "it" to hit the fan.
***Looks around. Has a rotary oscillator but doesn't want "it" to her by mistake on its way to the rotary oscillator***

I swear if I had a dime for every time someone says that Provocraft is so all fired right, I'd have exactly two dimes. There comes a time when somebody has to stand up and say, it isn't always about "Yeah I made the machine. Yeah you bought it. But I still control what you can and cannot do with it once it's in your home." See, they got my money. Now it's mine. I'm not leasing the machine. I'm not renting to own. I bought the machine. I bought cartridges too. But I wanted more. And I wasn't getting it from Provocraft.

Secondly, Todd from SCAL, from what I have heard, used to work for Provocraft. How did SCAL get away so long from being sued? SCAL was the first software that was made to use with the Cricut.

Creative people are going to create. It's what we do. If we can't feel comfortable using the tools and software interchangeably, then we'll move on to something else that will allow that. So if Provocraft wants my Cricut back and the 8 carts that I have, send me a box. I'll send it back. And I'll get something else. I'm easy to get along with so I'll send it back. No skin off my nose other than the money I'm going to want back.

**Has just discovered that she is the "it" and frankly she kinda likes it. Oooooooo, that blade's awful close to my nose***
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
Can you point me to a link where it says SCAL has settled. This is the first I'm hearing of this. Thanks!
It was actually on the Cricut board, but wouldn't ya know? It's down for site maintenance. I'll check back on there later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

In answer to your question, I read the package BEFORE I buy the software to make sure it's compatible with my Dell and I don't buy software for a Mac to run on my Dell.

Cricut stated from the start that in order to use their machine a customer had to buy their cartridges. The two were tied to each other all along, this wasn't some big secret. They are in business to make money, they make money by selling the machine and then the cartridges to go with it. Of course they aren't going to want any software program to come along that will take money out of their company. By giving anyone that owns the machine the ability to go out and get free cutting files or create their own they lose money, so I'm not the least bit surprised that they would want to put a stop to this even if it's on a small scale.

As for the folders, I'm sure that if they had some way to stop people from using their folders in other machines they would because they want you to buy their product from them.

These big companies aren't our friends, they don't want to make our lives brighter and happier, they want us to spend our money on their latest and greatest. They fill magazines with glossy ads in an effort to convince you that you need it. As a consumer it really is buyer beware! Think of the amount of products that are purchased by crafters the world over and never used! It's money wasted because someone, somewhere convinced that person that they just had to have this or follow that trend.

PC has every right to protect their investment and it's a great shame that it comes at the expense of so many people that bought the other software. As consumers we just need to be smart about what we are spending our money on, it's the only way we can protect ourselves from losing money on the things we invest it in/spend it on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

For the record I don't agree with what they did at all. I just am not surprised that they did it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

In answer to your question, I read the package BEFORE I buy the software to make sure it's compatible with my Dell and I don't buy software for a Mac to run on my Dell.

Cricut stated from the start that in order to use their machine a customer had to buy their cartridges. The two were tied to each other all along, this wasn't some big secret. They are in business to make money, they make money by selling the machine and then the cartridges to go with it. Of course they aren't going to want any software program to come along that will take money out of their company. By giving anyone that owns the machine the ability to go out and get free cutting files or create their own they lose money, so I'm not the least bit surprised that they would want to put a stop to this even if it's on a small scale.

As for the folders, I'm sure that if they had some way to stop people from using their folders in other machines they would because they want you to buy their product from them.

These big companies aren't our friends, they don't want to make our lives brighter and happier, they want us to spend our money on their latest and greatest. They fill magazines with glossy ads in an effort to convince you that you need it. As a consumer it really is buyer beware! Think of the amount of products that are purchased by crafters the world over and never used! It's money wasted because someone, somewhere convinced that person that they just had to have this or follow that trend.

PC has every right to protect their investment and it's a great shame that it comes at the expense of so many people that bought the other software. As consumers we just need to be smart about what we are spending our money on, it's the only way we can protect ourselves from losing money on the things we invest it in/spend it on.
I always read the package on software to see if it's compatible with my operating system. Just sayin'....

And in the beginning the Cricut was made to go with the carts except for the caveat from PC that you would be able, at some later date, to hook it to a computer because consumers asked for that. Otherwise PC wouldn't have put a place on the machine for that purpose. Now I guess PC didn't think far enough ahead to realize that people would want more freedom to create. And if they had been savvy about it, they would have also incorporated software that could be purchased to add TO their machine's capabilities, not take away from it. That's how I see it.

They have every right to say what they want to say about their machine. But I'm sorry. Once I put that money down and walk out of the store with that machine, it is mine. It is no longer theirs. I paid for it. And unless they are going to send the Cricut police to my door to see if I'm using it correctly or only using carts (and I dare them to come to my door because I'll give it back and demand my money back) then I have no worries about it. I don't sell anything that I make. And I think THAT is a whole different can of worms anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I always read the package on software to see if it's compatible with my operating system. Just sayin'....

And in the beginning the Cricut was made to go with the carts except for the caveat from PC that you would be able, at some later date, to hook it to a computer because consumers asked for that. Otherwise PC wouldn't have put a place on the machine for that purpose. Now I guess PC didn't think far enough ahead to realize that people would want more freedom to create. And if they had been savvy about it, they would have also incorporated software that could be purchased to add TO their machine's capabilities, not take away from it. That's how I see it.

They have every right to say what they want to say about their machine. But I'm sorry. Once I put that money down and walk out of the store with that machine, it is mine. It is no longer theirs. I paid for it. And unless they are going to send the Cricut police to my door to see if I'm using it correctly or only using carts (and I dare them to come to my door because I'll give it back and demand my money back) then I have no worries about it. I don't sell anything that I make. And I think THAT is a whole different can of worms anyway.

LMBO! I agree once you buy it you should be able to do with it what you want. What about stamps (both rubber and digital)? You can stamp these but can't sell them, you can sell them but only if you stamp this other stamp on the back of what you make, you can't make mechanical copies of them, you can't, you can't, you can't.. I paid for it though, it's in my house and while yes you drew the image, I'm the one that turned it into something else... Once I pay for it doesn't it become mine? Seems like it should be mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Ahhh, but they rode the wave and allowed the value of their product to be enriched by this 3rd party software...how many people bought the machine because of SCAL or MTC. I personally know several. And we also bought carts and consumables. The truth is they are in the business to make money, and they've lost mine. Not because it's personal, but because they don't offer what I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #59  
Stampin' Fool

Well there goes the pantyhose idea then. I guess, with the kind of reasoning PC shows (or even some rubber/digital/clear stamp companies), my pantyhose dolls won't be sold at the nearest market. I certainly don't need Just My Size or Leggs or whatever that other pantyhose company I get them from coming after me with a lawsuit for making pantyhose dolls and selling them using their product. The shame! The degradation I would feel if I was sued for selling pantyhose dolls when, Lord knows, I should have just worn the dat blamed things instead. I mean, I knew when I bought them that they were JUST for wearing like Cricut was just to be used with cartridges. Yes, I now understand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

I was always a for-SCAL person but I'd a long discussion with my husband on this and he made me realize that I was wrong (yeah it only happens rarely that I'm wrong - in fact this was probably the only instance where I was wrong...)

You can do whatever you like with the machine. A third party can develop any software for a machine and distribute it for *free*; but if they want to make profit they must get a license from Cricut. Just like to use Disney images, Cricut gets a license from Disney.

If there was no copyright/patent in the world then the inventors and the artists - who do all the hardwork - would never get any money.

SCAL is using Cricut's technology to do all the cutting. So it makes sense that SCAL should get some kind of license or give some royalty to Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #61  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
I was always a for-SCAL person but I'd a long discussion with my husband on this and he made me realize that I was wrong (yeah it only happens rarely that I'm wrong - in fact this was probably the only instance where I was wrong...)

You can do whatever you like with the machine. A third party can develop any software for a machine and distribute it for *free*; but if they want to make profit they must get a license from Cricut. Just like to use Disney images, Cricut gets a license from Disney.

If there was no copyright/patent in the world then the inventors and the artists - who do all the hardwork - would never get any money.

SCAL is using Cricut's technology to do all the cutting. So it makes sense that SCAL should get some kind of license or give some royalty to Cricut.
So that means that my Nikon camera maker got a license from HP so I could plug my camera into it to use it. Or would it be HP that got a license from Nikon? Does that mean that all my software got permission from HP so that I could put it on my machine and then print it out?

See, I'd understand PC's position more clearly if it wasn't planting its proprietary self in my home. There are tons of crafters like me who don't make things to sell. I don't care to make a profit using MTC/SCAL on my Cricut. I wanted more freedom to create than what's stuck on a cartridge. And yes, it is a cartridge based system with a place in the back to put in a USB connection so obviously they intended for it to be hooked up, at some point, with a computer. Frankly it's less expensive for me to use a software like MTC or SCAL than to buy cartridges even at $25 or $15 a cartridge. I buy them when they're on sale, but frankly, the majority of the cartridges don't appeal to me at all.

I'm not the one who has tunnel vision here. They could have made it much easier on themselves by actually following up with those who wanted more creative freedom. They would have made a lot of money going to either SCAL or MTC and working WITH them instead of against them. Just seems to me to be a logical thought process. But then logic must have nothing to do with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Well there goes the pantyhose idea then. I guess, with the kind of reasoning PC shows (or even some rubber/digital/clear stamp companies), my pantyhose dolls won't be sold at the nearest market. I certainly don't need Just My Size or Leggs or whatever that other pantyhose company I get them from coming after me with a lawsuit for making pantyhose dolls and selling them using their product. The shame! The degradation I would feel if I was sued for selling pantyhose dolls when, Lord knows, I should have just worn the dat blamed things instead. I mean, I knew when I bought them that they were JUST for wearing like Cricut was just to be used with cartridges. Yes, I now understand.
I would love to see a picture of one of your dolls!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

So that means that my Nikon camera maker got a license from HP so I could plug my camera into it to use it. Or would it be HP that got a license from Nikon? Does that mean that all my software got permission from HP so that I could put it on my machine and then print it out?

See, I'd understand PC's position more clearly if it wasn't planting its proprietary self in my home. There are tons of crafters like me who don't make things to sell. I don't care to make a profit using MTC/SCAL on my Cricut. I wanted more freedom to create than what's stuck on a cartridge. And yes, it is a cartridge based system with a place in the back to put in a USB connection so obviously they intended for it to be hooked up, at some point, with a computer. Frankly it's less expensive for me to use a software like MTC or SCAL than to buy cartridges even at $25 or $15 a cartridge. I buy them when they're on sale, but frankly, the majority of the cartridges don't appeal to me at all.

I'm not the one who has tunnel vision here. They could have made it much easier on themselves by actually following up with those who wanted more creative freedom. They would have made a lot of money going to either SCAL or MTC and working WITH them instead of against them. Just seems to me to be a logical thought process. But then logic must have nothing to do with this.
I totally agree! I've always thought that my expression is just like a printer except it cuts (that's how I explained it to my hubby). NO printer manufacturer can require me to only use XXX camera, computer, software with it.

Those exclusive cartridges to me are like music cds...PC paid artists to create material for the carts. PC should not be able to tell me what I can and can't play on my machine!

I can understand PC's issue with MTC regarding the backup feature for Cricut cartridges...that is similar to allowing making pirate copies of trademarked DVDs. The fact that MTC 'settled' over the backup issue, rather than going to court makes me wonder if PC really has a legal right to force them to stop selling their software entirely?

In my opinion, if PC wanted to restrict the use of their cutting machines to PC approved images only, they shouldn't have allowed for internet communication in the first place. They left the door open, now they're crying that the bugs got in. They should have just partnered with MTC and SCAL and then everyone would be happy.
My gallery ~ My Blog ~ My website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #64  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorrindaView Post
I totally agree! I've always thought that my expression is just like a printer except it cuts (that's how I explained it to my hubby). NO printer manufacturer can require me to only use XXX camera, computer, software with it.

Those exclusive cartridges to me are like music cds...PC paid artists to create material for the carts. PC should not be able to tell me what I can and can't play on my machine!

I can understand PC's issue with MTC regarding the backup feature for Cricut cartridges...that is similar to allowing making pirate copies of trademarked DVDs. The fact that MTC 'settled' over the backup issue, rather than going to court makes me wonder if PC really has a legal right to force them to stop selling their software entirely?

In my opinion, if PC wanted to restrict the use of their cutting machines to PC approved images only, they shouldn't have allowed for internet communication in the first place. They left the door open, now they're crying that the bugs got in. They should have just partnered with MTC and SCAL and then everyone would be happy.
Now that would have been a smart business move! And would have opened up an additionsl market for their machines from crafters and designers that wanted a lower cost machine with immense versatility.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with you Denise. I think it would have been a smart business move to partner with them. I would've purchased the software (I was just recently looking into it) and also would've continued to buy an occasional PC cart. One interesting thing I read from someone about .svg files - she mentioned that she spent so much time searching for the files, it left little time for creating. So, I think that people would still do both. Plus, they could've created an online store for purchasing just 1 file to cut, etc. Oh well. I've been considering a Silhouette for the ability to cut small details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #66  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by cainpView Post
I agree with you Denise. I think it would have been a smart business move to partner with them. I would've purchased the software (I was just recently looking into it) and also would've continued to buy an occasional PC cart. One interesting thing I read from someone about .svg files - she mentioned that she spent so much time searching for the files, it left little time for creating. So, I think that people would still do both. Plus, they could've created an online store for purchasing just 1 file to cut, etc. Oh well. I've been considering a Silhouette for the ability to cut small details.
I have a Silhouette also, and I do enjoy it for that as well as the flexibility to alter designs. Now would be the ideal time for the silhouette people to finally come out with a 12 x 12 cutter.

The main reason I have the expression is for its ability to cut the larger sizes.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

I wonder if part of all this was simply the using the name Cricut made it sound like it was authorized for use by Provocraft. OKay so they take off the name and take out the ability to copy the carts and we have a program that is still useable.
I will have to try my setup this week to see if it still works. Damn Provocraft.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #68  
Hardware Hotshot

You may be on to something here. Maybe they could say " Works with most die cutting machines" and not name any of them.
I don't own any electronic die cutting machine. I orginally posted this information so people wouldn't just update their MTC and find they lost the ability to use this software with their Cricut
However I can see both sides of this.

I "had" considered selling my punches and buying a Cricut and SCAL to replace my punches which are heavy and take up a lot of space. I will still love and use my Nesties with my manual die cutting machine.

I looked at the Cricut cartridges and 99% of the images are not my style. I don't make scrap books nor have any small children in my family. I have no need for cute images or die cut lettering.

Provo Craft makes their money on the cartridges and I would be a "very tiny " minority of their customers. They are willing to lose a potential customer like me who would only buy the machine and those who will never buy many cartridges to protect their extremely lucrative cartridge business. Those cartridges cost very little to produce in China.

On the other hand I sympathize with those who bought a "legal" piece of software with expectations of using it on their Cricut. Now they feel cheated and are furious with Provo Craft.
This is a no win on several fronts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #69  
Cardstock Collector

Cool Make the Cut and Circut

Just received the following message from Andy at MTC.
"Effective immediately Make The Cut! will no longer be compatible with the Cricut"

I am really disappointed with Cricut, and will not be purchasing any additional cartridges or new Cricut cutters. Should my Cricut become obsolete - I will purchase an open source product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianMomView Post
I wonder if part of all this was simply the using the name Cricut made it sound like it was authorized for use by Provocraft. OKay so they take off the name and take out the ability to copy the carts and we have a program that is still useable.
I will have to try my setup this week to see if it still works. Damn Provocraft.
I don't know anything about the MTC program, other than what I heard about it. I thought it sounded like some of it's uses might not be legal, and I am sure nobody wants to hear this, but if the MTC program was allowing people to copy cartridges from Cricut that is blatantly wrong. And also using the Cricut name to advertise it is wrong and illegal.

They have accepted blame here by accepting a settlement, if you all want to go after someone legally and get your money back for the program, I think MTC is the one you have a gripe with, and who should reimburse you.

I am sure my post not going to bring any standing ovation, but it is the truth. (and for the record I am not a huge PC fan.... but do like their products) Sorry it messes everyones crafting up but I think you need to direct your anger at the appropriate entity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
The backup feature was available and was immediately removed when PC asked them to. In order to backup carts, you had to own the full version of design studio and the cartridges. I bet that feature, even short lived, cause a lot of sales of design studio. The feature itself was tedious. I never backed up a single image from a cart.

I completely disagree that they have accepted blame. What is more likely is that the husband/wife team at MTC could not even begin to come up with the legal fees required to fight a company like Bank of America and did not want to lose everything they own, so they settled. Most small businesses would do the same. It is not an admission of guilt. After all, OJ was found not guilty.

Every MTC user I have encountered is fiercely loyal to Andy at MTC, partly because he has amazing customer service and listens to his customers. Something that Provo Craft is sorely lacking. The loss of the cricut as a cutting machine for the program has mainly seemed to result in big sales for all of the other cutters. I'm sure those companies are happy to see that.
I am not negating their customer service or PC's lack thereof. However, the fact that they even made a program with the feature of copying those cartridges and marketed under the PC Cricut trademark is wrong, and I think even somone who is not well versed in trademark/copyright law can see that. So I think they jumped into that pool knowing full well what they were doing. MTC is withdrawing the software that PC asked. Do you think for a minute they would do that if it was not illegal to sell? This mom and pop outfit was making money off of that. If it was legit to sell they would keep on selling it, and sue for the reimbursement of their legal fees due to a frivolous law suit?
Sorry, as much as I want to go against the big buy and stick up for the underdog, I just don't see it here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #72  
Polyshrink Goddess

No where in Alaska have I ever seen a cart for less than $40. Ever.

I bought Design Studio but it was the biggest waste of money, totally useless.

I bight SCAL and use my CE more than ever, which requires me to buy replacement mats. Blades, etc.

However, i've learned how to "re-sticky" my mats. Is PC going to come after me for using a non-PC product on a PC mat??

PC cuttlebug is advertised at using other manufactures embossing and dies. I see that as just about the same thing as using SCAL instead of a cartridge.

I've joined the boycott Provocraft on FB. And I checked Cricuts FB page and think it is awful they are blocking and deleting posts of people who disagree with them (but if people really are calling names, they deserved to have their post deleted but I have the impression they are deeming anyone who dislikes the MTC issue as "disrespectful" even if they are not being rude)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

MTC will still make their software and sell it, with wonderful customer service and all other benefits, it just won't work with Cricut machines which is unfortunate for all that bought it. When I looked into getting a cutter I knew I wanted freedom and did not want to store cartridges as I was trying to get rid of all the punches and other manual cutters I had. My first purchase was a CraftRobo and then I sold that on ebay and I got a Pazzles and I love, love, love it!!!

I talked with my dh about all this last night, he is a senior software engineer and basically said that the software developers never should have sold the software, they should have given it away or asked for donations to continue with updates. He said the backup feature was questionable if PC offered a replacement of damaged or lost cartridges but if they didn't it was a good feature to have. He felt that if you invest money in the cartridge there should be a way to back it up in case something happens. His example was us being able to back up our music/dvd's to a network attached storage device. We don't sell them or share them but they are there is something happens to the cd or movie. He asked about the cutter files that I've collected and said same principal, I'm able to back those up in case something happens to the computer that I use them on. He said he guessed that PC had intended to make their machine compatible with computers but only in a way which would benefit them financially. Someone circumvented that and they started losing money because people had choices and freedom now. They could pay less for a Cricut than they would another cutter, buy the software that would allow them to use the machine like other cutters and also still purchase cartridges and consumables but only if they wanted to.

It's big business I guess, sad that they couldn't find a way to play together and benefit all the customers as well as the bottom line...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #74  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

MTC will still make their software and sell it, with wonderful customer service and all other benefits, it just won't work with Cricut machines which is unfortunate for all that bought it. When I looked into getting a cutter I knew I wanted freedom and did not want to store cartridges as I was trying to get rid of all the punches and other manual cutters I had. My first purchase was a CraftRobo and then I sold that on ebay and I got a Pazzles and I love, love, love it!!!

I talked with my dh about all this last night, he is a senior software engineer and basically said that the software developers never should have sold the software, they should have given it away or asked for donations to continue with updates. He said the backup feature was questionable if PC offered a replacement of damaged or lost cartridges but if they didn't it was a good feature to have. He felt that if you invest money in the cartridge there should be a way to back it up in case something happens. His example was us being able to back up our music/dvd's to a network attached storage device. We don't sell them or share them but they are there is something happens to the cd or movie. He asked about the cutter files that I've collected and said same principal, I'm able to back those up in case something happens to the computer that I use them on. He said he guessed that PC had intended to make their machine compatible with computers but only in a way which would benefit them financially. Someone circumvented that and they started losing money because people had choices and freedom now. They could pay less for a Cricut than they would another cutter, buy the software that would allow them to use the machine like other cutters and also still purchase cartridges and consumables but only if they wanted to.

It's big business I guess, sad that they couldn't find a way to play together and benefit all the customers as well as the bottom line...
Now, see, that's just too logical.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #75  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

I agree 100% with everything your DH said.

I have said this in posts that Linux and other users are just up the creek now.

If the software was made to be free or 100% Open Source none of this would have happened. Open Source laws fall under different categories that even BOA couldn't touch. I am sure they would have tried. Selling the program you can get somebody on reverse engineering. Nobody bark at me, lol. I am just a big computer geek. Now that the lawsuits have happened and one has been settled BOA can set there and announce what they think reverse engineering is and cancel out a lot of Open Source laws or at least try. That's why I keep saying a lot of Linux users or Open Source fans won't even look at a Cricut now. PC did tell me the CraftRoom will work with Linux. How?

I can't even write a driver for it now. I will get a cease and desist. See, shooting themselves in the foot for legitimate reasons. Most Linux users have to write the driver's. We can't Plug & Play like most OS's. Even though it's getting better. Crafting products Linux users are working in terminal to get our devices to work. I have an embroidery machine I have to do this and two other cutter's. Least they are supported.

This lawsuit is just a bad situation for everyone involved.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #76  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I can't even write a driver for it now. I will get a cease and desist.
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to write your own driver for personal use. You can do what you like with your machine once you buy it. Let it sit, make it cut curse words, or throw it off a bridge. Heck, you could merge your Cricut with a Roomba to make something that would make enormous room-sized die cuts. ProvoCraft might hate it or ask you to join their research and development team, but they won't sue you for using your machine personal use.

But, if you started selling your driver or your nifty new die-cutting robot, you can bet you would get a cease and desist. It doesn't matter the size of your organization or how altruistic your motives are, if you leverage someone else's protected intellectual property rights to make a profit, the law says you're harming their business. It can be an impediment to innovation, but it's there to protect it too.

I hope you're able to find a solution that lets you continue to use your Cricut. Maybe an open source driver is just the thing the Cricut users need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #77  
Rubber Obsessor

Don't update your Cricut firmware and don't upday MTC/SCAL and you will be able to continue to use it! If you update either, you won't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #78  
Stampin' Fool

Guess what? I used my MTC software with my Cricut this morning and cut several things out. Now I'm waiting for the Cricut police to show up and take away my Cricut and cartridges. If they come soon enough, they can see the little picket signs my Cricut and Cuttlebug have been holding up for the past few hours. I think the machines talk to each other. They don't like what is going on. They are not happy machines. Normally my Cricut sings when I cut with my MTC software, this morning it was humming a funeral dirge. Go figure!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #79  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I want the Roomba cutter...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #80  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinbeeView Post
Does this mean that those of us who bought MTC or SCAL will not be able to use it?????

Here is something I read about it

What’s the word? | SVGCuts.com
Reply With Quote Likes