Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michaels and the definition of ...

Recently in my email I received a 25% off entire purchase of paper crafting. So I head up to Michael's. I make my selections and proceed to the cashier who quickly tells me that my coupon is only for the Paper in Paper Crafting. I ask since when did alphabet stickers stop being part of paper crafting? She says that if stickers were included it would say stickers ... I ask her if this a corporate policy, she laughs and for the first time looks at me and says she doesn't know. I also had 3D - Dots to purchase but I wasn't even gonna go there with this lady, anyone had a coupon for Adhesives?

I personally never engage Michael's employees in conversation about ANYTHING. My experience has been that they are clueless and rarely does one find an actual crafter amongst them. Nonetheless, isn't the definition of what is or isn't paper crafting a fundamental piece of info to know?
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjamanTView Post
Recently in my email I received a 25% off entire purchase of paper crafting. So I head up to Michael's. I make my selections and proceed to the cashier who quickly tells me that my coupon is only for the Paper in Paper Crafting. I ask since when did alphabet stickers stop being part of paper crafting? She says that if stickers were included it would say stickers ... I ask her if this a corporate policy, she laughs and for the first time looks at me and says she doesn't know. I also had 3D - Dots to purchase but I wasn't even gonna go there with this lady, anyone had a coupon for Adhesives?

I personally never engage Michael's employees in conversation about ANYTHING. My experience has been that they are clueless and rarely does one find an actual crafter amongst them. Nonetheless, isn't the definition of what is or isn't paper crafting a fundamental piece of info to know?
I hear you, I didn't get the discount on my tape runner refills either.

Free cat hair with every card!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Kookie Creator

Why does it say "Paper Crafting" if it's only paper??? That's like redeeming a coupon for a free cheeseburger but you need to pay for the cheese! How stupid!

I'm curious... Did the cashier tell you this before she started ringing or did the system simply not take it off? I've had this happen to me but I tell them to try it and they were wrong.
Matboard Maniac

For me the cashier refused the coupon from the get go. Dianne I am shocked to hear that the refusal of the coupon happened to someone else ... I really thought it was specific to the cashier that I encountered. Michael's needs to be held accountable for these false and misleading coupons. I think I'll just keep my craft shopping at A.C. Moore - their rewards program is better by far.
Kookie Creator

The reason I asked is the coupons are set up in the system. The cashier has no control over the prices. If the system didn't calculate your discount, there's nothing she can do about it because the discount is probably pulled from a global system. Her refusal to take the coupon without trying it out first was rude but quite possibly she was either uninformed or misinformed. Either way, you should speak to a manager about it.

I don't work for Michael's but I support a big box store POS system an know well how this works. I would be livid if this happened to me.
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I would have insisted that she try the coupon or get a manager. I've done it before, and they are shocked when the coupon goes through.
Insane Embellisher

The cashier didn't say anything - I was buying 3 paper pads and the 2 tape runner refills. She took both my coupons and used them, the most expensive pad rang up at 40% off, the other 2 at 25%, and no discount on the tape. I would have classified those as a papercrafting item, but I guess Michael's doesn't. I didn't realize it until I checked my receipt in the car.

Free cat hair with every card!
Crimping Master

one answer... Shop at Hobby Lobby!!!
Polyshrink Goddess

We would if they were on the west coast!
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Michaels and the definition of

I had a coupon for 20% off regular & sale priced merchandise. I tried to use it on a stamp set that was marked down for clearance. They wouldn't take it because it was on "clearance", therefore, not considered "on sale." I always thought it was a "clearance sale."
Forum Fanatic

Always insist on speaking to a manager! They can help you out, and they will if they want your business. (and they want your business if they want to continue to be a manager!)

https://momomakes.com
Rubber Obsessor

The only choices here are Michaels, JoAnns, or shop online. Everything resembling a scrapbooking or stamping store is gone for 50 miles around. I'm doing more on-line shopping these days.

I would always ask for a manager if that sort of thing occurs. I taught in Michaels for 6 years, till they discontinued the crafting pprogram. Now they offer some cake decorating, scrapbooking and one painting class. All the rest is gone.
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 982 Likes on 667 Posts

Michael's in my area never takes two coupons. They show me where it says, "one coupon per customer per day." I went to a store in another city and the manager told me as long as the coupons are different the coupon is good. I went back and told the manager at my store. He wanted to know which store because he was going to turn them in to Michael's corporate. Needless to say I didn't tell him. I called Michael's corporate. Customer service couldn't/wouldn't give me an answer. I wonder what happened to customer service and polite workers.
Rubber Obsessor

I have a friend who only goes there with her husband along. Then they can each use one coupon on the same trip. JoAnns will take one Michaels and as many JoAnns as you can find as long as they each have a different code. I have used 5 or 6 at a time there.
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparcl77View Post
I had a coupon for 20% off regular & sale priced merchandise. I tried to use it on a stamp set that was marked down for clearance. They wouldn't take it because it was on "clearance", therefore, not considered "on sale." I always thought it was a "clearance sale."
I found this out too, the hard way. I don't have a coupon in front of me, but I have looked at them since I was refused my coupon on a clearance item and it does, indeed, list clearance items in the list of things that are not included in the coupon!
Die Cut Diva

Am chiming in here, the Michaels here says the same thing, one coupon per person per day. Usually I have someone with me so it isn't a big deal.. the girls there know me by face .. eek I'm in there too much? Anywho, this past week I had a 40% off, so I went in going to get ONE Nestie set and then have to go back for a few more days to get the rest (for our year end party as a gift from us to our demo)so the cashier was new.. I mean VERY new that she was trying to scan the display card and kept saying to the front end manager, there is no upc.. two times had to say it is display only... (ok got off topic on that) but anyways, the front end manager said to her "dont ring her up yet i have a coupon" so she went and used the "employee 40% off total" .. so instead of going back 4 days in a row I got all 4 sets for 40% at that one time..

But I agree, what happen to good customer service? I was in retail for 25 years (car business) and had we not given good customer service to customers our owner would have been highly pissed. (man o man I miss that boss)
Matboard Maniac

Wow, 40% off total ... that was one time it was completely worthwhile to get in the newbie employee line!
Rubber Obsessor

OK, enlighten me, what is a "nestie"?
Rubber Obsessor

I went on-line and figured it out. I have never seen any spellbinders dies in any Michaels I have ever been in.
Stazon Splitcoast

One thing I think people need to realize is that 40% off coupon is designed to get you into the door. The hope is that people will buy more things that aren't 40% off. The company loses profit on the one 40% off item, hoping to make up for that lost profit through the sale of other non-discounted items in your shopping cart. If you think of it in those terms, it's easier to understand why they might limit coupons to one per day. These companies are in business to make a profit. If they aren't making a profit, what's the point in staying in business? Just my .02.

And yes, I do agree that unless these stores are individual franchises, they need to be consistent in their policies.
Rubber Obsessor

But JoAnns seems to stay in business just fine and they do allow multiple coupons on a single visit.
Pearl-ExPert

I the crafting industry there is 100% mark up on everything. So if you go in with a 40% off coupon they are still making a 60% profit. My sister owns a LSS and I do her receiving for her. They are making a profit.

http://papercutsnink.blogspot.com
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnystamperView Post
My sister owns a LSS and I do her receiving for her. They are making a profit.
Isn't that the point for her to stay in business?
Kookie Creator

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjamanTView Post
For me the cashier refused the coupon from the get go. Dianne I am shocked to hear that the refusal of the coupon happened to someone else ... I really thought it was specific to the cashier that I encountered. Michael's needs to be held accountable for these false and misleading coupons. I think I'll just keep my craft shopping at A.C. Moore - their rewards program is better by far.
I agree except our area is flooded with Michael's and AC Moore is a bridge and a toll away.

Always ask for the store manager or Customer Engagement Manager at Michael's. They threaten the cashiers with getting written up or firing for the littlest infraction. Always, always get the names of the people you deal with. They tend to behave a little more congenially when you know who they are.
Kookie Creator

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen2972View Post
one answer... Shop at Hobby Lobby!!!
Love HL!
Closest one is 90 minutes away. :(
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'd read this before and I think it's pretty important for anyone who uses coupons in any form to know, And believe me, I've done it and it's effective (at stores like Michaels and grocery stores, etc):

Quote:

Coupon Mom Answers: Although it is always up to the retailer to decide how they will accept coupons, there are standard terms and restrictions on grocery coupons that manufacturers use to clarify their intent for coupon redemption. However, sometimes a cashier or store manager will interpret the coupon terms differently than the manufacturers intended for them to be interpreted. I agree with you that if shoppers understand what coupon terms mean, and they are able to politely and logically explain the intent of the term, it is likely that the store personnel will agree to accept your coupon.

Examples of common coupon terms and their general meanings:

"One coupon per purchase": This means that shoppers can use one coupon per item, with the item considered to be the purchase. For example, if a shopper had 10 identical jars of spaghetti sauce and 10 grocery coupons for that spaghetti sauce, she could use all 10 coupons for her order, which is literally 10 purchases. She could not use 2 manufacturers coupons on the same item if she was only buying one jar of spaghetti sauce because that would be more than "one coupon per purchase."
"One coupon per order": This means that the shopper can only use that specific coupon once per order. If a shopper had more than one coupon, they could use one coupon per store visit, which would be one coupon per order.

"One coupon per household": This is the most restrictive coupon term. Some coupons are so generous that stores will limit their liability by making sure shoppers do not make multiple trips to the store to use several coupons.
The most common coupon restriction is "one coupon per purchase," and when store personnel interpret this term as "one coupon per order" it can create frustration for honest coupon users. Therefore, familiarize yourself with these three restrictions so that you can calmly and politely explain what they each mean. Then you will easily be able to use multiple coupons when buying multiple identical items to save the most.

However, if you still encounter a store that refuses to accept more than one identical coupon per order, I would suggest that you write a polite letter or email to the store's corporate headquarters to express your concern about this policy. It may be changed!
It is so important to know what you can and cannot do with coupons. It's also very interesting to note that most cashiers have NO clue what to do with coupons and generally don't understand the wording of them.
Rubber Obsessor

My pet peeve: Coupons provided by the stores that can't be read by their own scanner.
Sis
Insane Embellisher

I hate this word and it is all I can think of....................STUPID..............boy this was some conversation and cannot believe she said this to you........
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petu2000View Post
I agree except our area is flooded with Michael's and AC Moore is a bridge and a toll away.

Always ask for the store manager or Customer Engagement Manager at Michael's. They threaten the cashiers with getting written up or firing for the littlest infraction. Always, always get the names of the people you deal with. They tend to behave a little more congenially when you know who they are.
I'm in the Bronx too. There's an A.C. Moore in Yorktown Heights. No bridge that requires a toll, and it's about 45 minutes away.
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
I'd read this before and I think it's pretty important for anyone who uses coupons in any form to know, And believe me, I've done it and it's effective (at stores like Michaels and grocery stores, etc):

It is so important to know what you can and cannot do with coupons. It's also very interesting to note that most cashiers have NO clue what to do with coupons and generally don't understand the wording of them.
I would think that a purchase and an order are the same thing. "One per visit" would mean that I could actually leave the store and return, thus making it my second visit. If it says "one per day," that's different. There is no way to confuse that one; so, if that's what the company means to say, that's what the coupon should say.
ckv
Kookie Creator

The above reasons are why I do not frequent Michael's. I'm more of a Joann or AC Moore b/c the staff is so much friendlier and allows me to use my coupons.
Rubber Obsessor

I wish there was an AC Moore or Hobby Lobby within 50 miles of me.
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I would think that a purchase and an order are the same thing. "One per visit" would mean that I could actually leave the store and return, thus making it my second visit. If it says "one per day," that's different. There is no way to confuse that one; so, if that's what the company means to say, that's what the coupon should say.
they aren't the same thing to manufacturers ... that's why it is important as customers to understand the difference!

and most companies like to confuse customers because, as one poster said earlier, a coupon gets people in the door to spend more.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by faberinoView Post
OK, enlighten me, what is a "nestie"?
"Nestie" is short for Nestabilities die sets from Spellbinders.
Kookie Creator

All this talk about coupon "fraud", as I like to call it, reminds me of the day I went to Joann's to buy some batting by the yard and use a coupon. Guess what? They do not consider that fabric and wouldn't let me use it. The coupon said "merchandise", not just fabric. Go figure!! Very frustrating. I went back when it was on sale. Said I wanted a price adjustment. They said they don't do that. So I returned it and wanted to "re-buy" it at the sale price. The manager got snippy with me and said, "well, if you want to play that game"... I haven't gone back for a few months. I think they need to teach their young managers that the customer is always right!!!
Watercolor Wizard

Received 494 Likes on 273 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddeckView Post
All this talk about coupon "fraud", as I like to call it, reminds me of the day I went to Joann's to buy some batting by the yard and use a coupon. Guess what? They do not consider that fabric and wouldn't let me use it. The coupon said "merchandise", not just fabric. Go figure!! Very frustrating. I went back when it was on sale. Said I wanted a price adjustment. They said they don't do that. So I returned it and wanted to "re-buy" it at the sale price. The manager got snippy with me and said, "well, if you want to play that game"... I haven't gone back for a few months. I think they need to teach their young managers that the customer is always right!!!
While I agree that customers should be treated with respect, and not attitude, customers are NOT always right.

I'm a customer service rep with a catalog company, and we are restricted by the policies of the company as to what we can and cannot do for the customer. I can't tell you how many times a day I have to apologize and inform the customer that I cannot do it "their way". It helps if you READ the terms of any offer for conditions, and don't scream at the rep if you have an offer for, say, free shipping on an order of $40 and you're buying $39.98 in merchandise. That computer (or register) the purchase is going through is programmed to honor the terms of the discount. $39.98 is NOT over $40. No matter how much you yell, or abuse the person doing her job, if you don't qualify, you just don't qualify. And, increasingly, I find that customers are rude, abusive, nasty, uninformed, and unreasonable. Most of us where I work will do our best to help a customer, if we can, especially if they are calm, polite, and reasonable. And we will do our absolute least for customers who are rude and abusive. But the cashiers and customer service reps do not make policy. If you have a gripe with company policy, it's best to take it to the top- write a clear and specific letter and send it directly to the company management. (Yes, speaking to a manager in a store will get you an appeasement sometimes, but even managers are limited as to what they can offer you. They don't set policy.)

Rubber Obsessor

I had a very positive experience just recently buying yarn. I called to order it as the company frequently offers free shipping....about 3-4 times a year. So I asked if this was a free shipping period or "should I wait?" The service rep wanted to be sure the order went in and told me she "could take care of that for me". Then carefully took the order. Had I done it online I would have had about $10 in shipping.
Matboard Maniac

I have only been going to my local Michaels for a few months (I'm new to scrapbooking and I think I'm single handedly keeping this store in business;)) and so far I haven't encountered any problem with them taking my coupons. It's a nice store with pleasant staff.
Cardstock Collector

I actually worked at the Michaels in my area as seasonal Christmas help. You can scan the coupons, but you can also enter them in manually (in case the coupon is worn etc.). It really just comes down to the cashier, and management. What I have found, and the reason why I no longer shop at Michaels, is that the cashiers do not want to do any extra work, like entering in a code on the register. The Michaels I used to work at has really dropped it's standard of customer service, which is disappointing.
It is one thing when you have customers trying to get something for nothing. But honestly, in my experience, the majority of people that visit hobby stores are not like that. They love their hobby, going into a craft store makes them happy, and they are more than willing to pay for the items without trying to rip off the store. So Michaels really should try and focus on keeping their customers happy.
Kookie Creator

Our Michaels closed, (our local) Hobby Lobby has some super cashiers always willing to help. As for Joanns fabric I LOVE THAT STORE when you shop there a coupon is a coupon for real.