Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great News, I'm Signing on February 1st...

I am really excited. I sold a camera on ebay so now I will have the kit cost without taking it out of our checking account, hubby will be happy about that. Now to figure out what I should get for stamp sets.

First question, what sets do you get for sets of coloring cards? I would like to make some.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

do you mean line images? I guess it matters whether you are buying for personal preference or to sell.

If just for fun, I would opt for these sets, which you can color in, but don't have huge amounts of blank spaces

Touch of Nature
Spring Song
Embrace Life (although the beautiful larger flower has a lot of white space..)
Blooming With Love
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Congrats! I just saw this thread as I was trying to find out, what is the cost now of signing up?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvscrapmomView Post
Congrats! I just saw this thread as I was trying to find out, what is the cost now of signing up?
The cost of the Stampin' Up! starter kit is $199 + tax. If you sign up during Sale-A-Bration (february 1-March 17) you also get a free stamp set of your choice (no limit in value of the free set).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are considering being more than your own best customer and you are considering swapping out sets, you may want to consider some that have just been added to the spring/summer collection. Those will remain available for at least a year so a good business buy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I want them to sell, yes line drawings. What works for you. I was thinking about keeping Greetings Galore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!

Congrats!
Diaries Of A Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Hey me too, I'm signing up Feb 1st. I'm gald I found this thread because I was looking for any sign up specials for Feb. A free set, eh? That's really cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:07 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Terri, you've got the right idea about getting a really versatile set, but Greetings Galore has been around forever and a day...it's screaming to be retired, lol! I'd be bummed if a set I got in the kit retired a couple of months later, kwim?

We get few guarantees in life, lol, but Shelli did say that they do guarantee that sets introduced in the latest catalog will be around for at least one full year. Picking a new set would be locking in a set that you'd be able to demonstrate for sure for quite awhile.

Congratulations on getting the moolah for the kit! Demoing can be lots of fun, whether as a "hobby" or a "business" demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Congrats! Have fun being a Demo. I am also new in the "business".
Wish you luck and success!

My Blog "Stempel, Papier & Mehr!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:49 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Hey Terri, congrats on the "sale"... I echo what Betsy said about Greetings Galore, it has been around a loooong time. Fun & Fast Notes, Pun Fun and Year after Year would all be good to sub in for that...I'd hate to get one and have it retire that quick too, and I'm sure Greetings Galore's days are getting numbered lol

What'cha gonna pick for your FREE set?

Last edited by se_stamper; 01-16-2008 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Congrats! I joined in November, and have my first workshop tomorrow (15 ladies!) I have a new recruit taking advantage of the SAB deal, it's great getting that free set. I have Greetings Galore - but our catty down under is different, I think it will be around here for a bit yet.

The best advice is to go for images you love, if they don't appeal to you, you won't reach for them. Good luck on your SU! journey!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Way to go! I love being a demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 02:10 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

I'm joining too, and am having a great time deciding what I want in my kit. And what I will be buying for my first order. The hard part now is waiting until February!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 03:31 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I would also advise choosing different sets than what is currently in the starter kit or was available in previous catalogs. Sets new to the Spring/Summer catalog will be available for purchase for at least a year before retiring.

Stampin Up! is working on new training DVDs for new demonstrators, and I bet that as soon as those are available, the sets currently in the starter kit and used in the current training DVDs will retire because they have been around sooooooooo long.

If you don't mind that the sets will likely retire soon and would want them in your personal collection anyway, keep em on the list. They are great versatile sets!

Congratulations on your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Congrats! So, the one thing I wish I had done when getting my kit was to get more versatile sets. I got sets that either I was planning on using for Christmas (and now I dont even really like the set, and its retired now!) or just saw in the catalog and had my eye on. I did not take into account versatility. Ok, so half of my sets from my kit I still have and use (Loads of Love, Much Appreciated) but already have traded/sold two, the other is in my pile to sell. So, take a good hard look and decide first, what sets you will get use out of and can use for many things, and also if you think it will be around a while.

So, anyways, enjoy! What a great time to get the kit, plus you get a stamp set added to the kit! (i was able to sign up with a free color family, that rocked). I hope you are placing your 30% off order during SAB! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Are there any sneak peeks to the Sale a Bration catalog? I am joining in Feb also!!!! Congrats!! I can not wait
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #18  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Okay~ not new this catty, but I LOVE fun and fast notes~ great images, words, and line images to color in.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with Fun & Fast Notes! It's my favorite. I just wanted to mention a thing or two about the starter kits and choosing your sets...

If you look closely, you might realize that when SU picks the sets for the kit, you get all of the different "types" of stamps. You get a 2-step set, an outline set, a set with its matching wheel, etc. You wind up being able to demo all of the varieties in the catalog. You also wind up with sentiments, good images for using your chalks and markers to color in, yada yada yada.

When I picked my kit, I already owned most of the kit contents, since I'd been stamping for so long. When I needed to pick substitutes, I stayed within the same type; e.g., instead of Background Basics I chose the companion Border set. Instead of Fresh Flowers (eww!), lol, I chose In Full Bloom with its matching wheel.

If you can try to keep an eye on things like that when you choose replacements, and try to pick just-released sets (or at least no older than the F/W 07 catalog), you should be in pretty good shape.

Whatever you wind up with, congratulations on signing up! You are all in for a good time! Don't forget to sign up for the demo forums here. Lots of good ideas to help with planning workshops, etc.

Last edited by MSBetsyZ; 01-18-2008 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: what else? typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I agree with Fun & Fast Notes! It's my favorite. I just wanted to mention a thing or two about the starter kits and choosing your sets...

If you look closely, you might realize that when SU picks the sets for the kit, you get all of the different "types" of stamps. You get a 2-step set, an outline set, a set with its matching wheel, etc. You wind up being able to demo all of the varieties in the catalog. You also wind up with sentiments, good images for using your chalks and markers to color in, yada yada yada.

When I picked my kit, I already owned most of the kit contents, since I'd been stamping for so long. When I needed to pick substitutes, I stayed within the same type; e.g., instead of Background Basics I chose the companion Border set. Instead of Fresh Flowers (eww!), lol, I chose In Full Bloom with its matching wheel.

If you can try to keep an eye on things like that when you choose replacements, and try to pick just-released sets (or at least no older than the F/W 07 catalog), you should be in pretty good shape.

Whatever you wind up with, congratulations on signing up! You are all in for a good time! Don't forget to sign up for the demo forums here. Lots of good ideas to help with planning workshops, etc.
Great advice, Betsy -- having a good variety of styles is key! And Fun and Fast notes is a wonderful set!

p.s. Fresh Flowers was one of my favorites, probably because it was such an underdog.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I have changed everything except for Greetings Galore, but I thought of Fun and Fast Notes also. I will give it another look. I do have tons of the stamps in the new catalog, so I will have plenty to demo. I ordered a lot from the minis last year, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too have been thinking of signing up. Is there another really good month of the year to sign up? I am newer at stamping and would like some more experience first. As a sahm it seems like a good fit for me though. Are there order minimums to keep? That is the one thing scaring me off I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too have been thinking of signing up. Is there another really good month of the year to sign up? I am newer at stamping and would like some more experience first. As a sahm it seems like a good fit for me though. Are there order minimums to keep? That is the one thing scaring me off I think.

tia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 06:51 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapnstampkateView Post

tia
SU runs recruit specials all the time, but Feb is a free set from the current catalog valued at up to like $49. You have to sell $300 per quarter. I haven't signed up yet so I don't have all the details about what happens if you don't and all that. Maybe a current demo can answer that question. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapnstampkateView Post

tia

Actually, the very best time to sign up is when you're just starting to stamp, because all of the supplies you need to get started (like stampin' scrub and mist, craft and rubber scissors, snail, etc.) are included in the starter kit at a great discount. The starter kit is an incredible deal at any time of the year and, of course, during sale-a-bration you get an additional free stamp set up to 47.95 in value, so the kit becomes an even better value.

After you join, you have until the end of your first full quarter to sell/buy the quarterly minimum, which is $300. So for anyone joining during Sale-A-Bration the first full quarter would end on June 30. After that, you would need to sell/buy $300 each quarter to remain active.

Once you become a demo you get a discount on all of your own purchases and everything you buy for yourself (except business supplies like order forms and catalogs) counts towards your minimums.

As for you being a beginner stamper, many successful demonstrators I know signed up after attending just one home party and didn't really know all that much about stamping at first. The truth is that you will be introducting a lot of people to stamping, so even though you may think you don't know a lot, you know infinitely more than they do. When experienced stampers become Demos it is often dificult for them to come up with projects that are easy enough for beginner stampers (I know that was a big struggle for me and I joined only 5 months after I started stamping). So being a beginner stamper will actually help you!

There is one more thing I want to add -- make sure that when you are signing up you are picking the right upline for yourself (an upline is the demo you sign under). Some demos are very interested in growing their downlines and some are not. Your upline should be a source of support for you, both in terms of creativity and business ideas. Even if you don't think you want to pursue the SU business opportunity, you should try to choose an upline who would be able to support you if you ever changed your mind.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #26  

And don't forget there is a extra special for Canadians from the Canadian Scrapbooker magazine for signing before the end of February!

Check out My Blog or My SU Website

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 08:41 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you for the advice, you make the decision a little easier. I am going to be at a workshop on Thursday and I will definately be talking to the demo for some more info. and checking her out (as an upline) at the same time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I'm also signing up Feb 1! It is the waiting to order until then that is killin me! There is so much I want to order immediately but also want to wait for the discount! decisions decisions! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've decided, I am signing too and I can't wait. I agree with Skilo the waiting is hard!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 12:26 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Hi, I am signing up on feb 1st too! I can't wait! what's this about a bonus from Canadian Scrapbooker magazine?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 05:06 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Yes, someone please tell us what the info is on Canadian Scapbooker...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #32  

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Now there's a special for the new US demos as well...for Sale-a-bration the kit is 20% off!!! Yipee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #33  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDragonLadyView Post
Now there's a special for the new US demos as well...for Sale-a-bration the kit is 20% off!!! Yipee!
Am I understanding this to be 20% off the kit and a $47.00 stamp set are both bonuses for signing on during Sale-a-bration?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 AM   #34  

Yes, indeed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 02:34 AM   #35  

whoops, double post!

Last edited by GreenDragonLady; 02-01-2008 at 03:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 03:44 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by attherookeryView Post
Yes, someone please tell us what the info is on Canadian Scapbooker...
That deal would have given you 10% off the kit in January and February, but now the 20% deal for SAB overrides it, bringing the Cdn kit cost to $208+PST.

HTH!
Caroline in TO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 03:51 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

This is an awesome deal for anyone signing up during SAB. I think it's the best "offer" I've seen since becoming a demo 3-1/2 years ago.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 04:32 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Does anyone know if there's any "deal" for resigning up during SAB? I use to be a hobby demo and let it lapse last year. This year I've been doing a lot more stamping and crafting and thought maybe I should resign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 04:42 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezy929View Post
Does anyone know if there's any "deal" for resigning up during SAB? I use to be a hobby demo and let it lapse last year. This year I've been doing a lot more stamping and crafting and thought maybe I should resign up.
I wanted to know this too and I called SU and they told me no you just have to rebuy the kit, but right now its a great deal so I am going to resign when I get my tax return. I can't wait!!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2008, 05:06 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

There aren't any deals specifically for resigning, but you do get any free set from the current main catty up to $47.95 and you get 20% off your starter kit (so it'll only be $159)!
Reply With Quote Likes